“Friendly, helpful and lots of activities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yuma
Westwind RV & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Yuma
“Friendly, helpful and lots of activities”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We were met by a friendly staff and guided to our site. The sites are level gravel with paved roads and 50 amp power was perfect. Good water pressure as well. The have a ton of activities here and the guests are very friendly. Lots of recent upgrades!

Stayed January 2014
6 Thank Chiefly1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Calgary
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I arrived after dark at this seemingly, highly rated, RV park to less than a cordial welcome. I had phoned ahead to book accommodation and had learned that only "back in" spaces were available. To avoid inconveniencing park staff I agreed to dry camp in the parking lot for the night and back into a camping space in the morning.

A problem arose when I encountered an officious security guard at the gate to the park. He was apparently operating from a different play book than the telephone reservation agent. The guard advised that the parking lot was closed in preparation for cleaning the following day. He also said that, in any event, the little enclosed cargo trailer that I pull behind my motor home to contain my bicycle would not be allowed at a camp site. He suggested I try the Walmart parking lot. So much for Westwind hospitality to someone arriving in an unfamiliar city after dark.

As I drove away I mused to myself about the oxymoron I had just witnessed. That was, the elitist judgement being made relative to my nearly new cargo trailer by a security guard.

I found the local Walmart. A number of RV's were set up for the night in the parking lot. As a courtesy I inquired of Walmart management to see if they had a problem with me staying overnight there. I was informed that, while Walmart didn't mind, the local Sheriff's Department did. Apparently overnight campers at Walmart are in violation of a city ordinance and are routinely issued citations. This was something the Westwind security guard did not mention.

In a bit of a predicament now, I phoned the reservation agent at Westwind to complain about being refused entry. Suddenly she remembered the scheduled parking lot cleaning. She recommended a nearby RV park which, according to her, had pull-through sites. Fortunately, I didn't take her advice. I checked with the recommended park the following day. There are no pull-through sites. Again the staff at Westwind seemed a little bit confused.

I ended up staying the night at the Sundance RV park in Yuma's east end on the north side of I-8 near Foothills Rd. The front end of this well managed resort is reserved for short stays and for late arrivals. I found a large camping site near the entrance that I was able to drive into as opposed to back into, It was long enough that I did not have to unhook my trailer.

Although the office was closed when I arrived, friendly campers were available to assist in lining up my RV with the patio at the site. I was advised to ignore written instructions posted outside the park office regarding prepayment and just check in with the office in the morning.

I did this. Attending the office in the morning I was welcomed by friendly staff members that went out of their way to be helpful, accommodating and welcoming.

A park-wide flea market was under way when I made my way to the office. I have never seen such a demonstration of community in an RV park. It appeared to me like the park was populated by a collection of friends from all over North America that return there year after year to enjoy the warm weather and each other's company. And old friendships notwithstanding the campers were still willing to extend a welcome and a helping hand to a newcomer and after-hours arrival. It doesn't get any better than this.

I used the facilities at one of the park's two restroom/shower buildings. The place was spotless. And there were heat lamps in the ceiling above the shower stalls to keep the chill off once the shower was done.

The only inconvenience I encountered was being unable to connect with the wifi service when I arrived. I am sure that, had I continued on in Yuma, the Sundance staff would have rectified this. As it was, I continued west to San Diego.

And so, what began as a negative review for Westwind has become a positive review for Sundance. That irony, in itself, should speak volumes about the differences I perceived in the two parks.

I would stay at Sundance again in a heartbeat.

Westwind, in my opinion, doesn't merit consideration.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank pedalcrazy
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Wow what a change in a couple of years. Westwind is now a truely 1st class park. Everything has been upgraded plus the addition of a new Diner and lounge. Great food and entertainment plus all the activities you would expect in a large active park. By far the best park in the southwest.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Miltyj55
Arizona
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were so looking forward to our visit here! We'd had such a pleasant conversation with the Manager, Sylvia, when we made our reservations! We'd discussed everything over the phone; our expected arrival time on Saturday afternoon, the fact that we had a small dog and that we would be staying one night. Syliva had told us she'd reserve a nice spot with some shade trees for us.

When we arrived - at the expected time on Saturday - the office was closed! It was 130PM in the afternoon. No one was around at all. We called the "after hours number" and soon, a lady arrived in her golf cart. It was Sylvia, the Manager. I was glad to see her under the circumstances! She told us she was there to "grab a couple of burgers" and not there to help us in her capacity as Manager and went off to the restaurant. Okay.....

Soon a couple arrived in response to our call. They told us the office was always closed on Saturdays and had no idea of any of the information that had already been given to Sylvia when the reservation was made. They asked us what spot we wanted to take and we had no idea where we were supposed to go! They were trying to help and were very sweet but obviously, unprepared to have been left to deal with arrivals as they had been given no information at all.

Next, a Security man arrived and told us we'd have to put our dog in the truck - it was 90 degrees out! - because pets weren't allowed there at the clubhouse. We protested that Sylvia hadn't told us that 5 minutes earlier. (The Pet Gate where you were supposed to walk your dogs once you were settle was nothing but dirt; no grass around at all, by the way)

Everything ended with the kindly couple locating a place for us to park for the night but this is mostly a home for the park model group who are living there and not for RVers who are wanting a nice place to spend a night or a few days. Very unorganized and disappointing. We wouldn't go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank presidio30
Calgary
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Really nice clean park with a par 3 golf course attached. Pool was pristine and there are just tons of activities. Lots of washrooms and laundry which always seem spotless. Really friendly staff and residents. Only complaint was its close to highway and frontage road so a bit noisy but fortunately we were in back so not bad. Close to major grocery shopping. Good security.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Roadees
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2012

A resort with great amenities, great management and great friends. We look forward to returning to our "other" home and know that a warm welcome awaits us.
This is a super place to spend the winter or just a few days. Rent or buy a park model, or park your RV here. You are sure to have a great time, and maybe meet a few new life long friends.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a super place to park your RV or rent or buy a park model, this is the place.