“Always Good”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner
Salem, OR
“Always Good”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I have to eat breakfast there at least once every time we are in Yuma. They have great food and service!

• Visited March 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I am always reluctant to review a restaurant after only one visit if my personal experience seems at odds with the majority of the reviews. Maybe I just ordered from the wrong part of the menu. Or maybe the person in the kitchen was having an off day. Maybe the server was new. In these cases, I like to give the place the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think that was the case here.

My wife and I were looking for a quick, non-fast food lunch on a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. Tripadvisor almost never steers us wrong, and we love the comfort food of a good diner, so Penny's seemed to fill the bill.

Penny's was right off of the interstate and has a bunch of hotels within walking distance.

We walked in, but no hostess, no sign to "seat yourself", no one to say "hi". We decided to find a seat and see what happened. It was about noon on a weekday, but the place was less than half full (that usually tells us something right there).

A waitress finally found us and brought over placemat menus. Breakfast on one side and everything else on the other. The non-breakfast side had a few sandwiches, about 5 "specials", and a lengthy description of THE hamburger. Plus a lot of discussion about ice cream.

My wife ordered the hamburger and I ordered the diner staple of meat loaf and mashed potatoes. The waitress wasn't familiar with the meat loaf, so I had to point it out to her on the menu. The menu said it came with a salad, but I had to tell her. I also asked about thousand island dressing, and she wasn't sure if the had any.

For drinks, we decided ice cream was probably the way to go. I ordered a strawberry shake and my wife ordered a root beer float with chocolate ice cream.

My wife went to use the rest room and saw the waitress making her float with vanilla. She asked again for chocolate. The rest room was not very clean, and there was no paper in it.

The drinks came and then we waited. Not sure which item was holding things up, but it took a little over a half hour for us to finally get food.

The meat loaf was actually ok, but the brown gravy had no flavor - maybe from a powder mix. The salad was a commercial mix with a foil packet of dressing. The potatoes were instant. I guess no one cooks from scratch here.

My wife's hamburger was also ok, but really, really dripping with grease. Prices were very reasonable, but decor was kind of tired.

Maybe just an off day, but we will probably try somewhere else on our next stop in Yuma.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank DougAndRobyn
GM_OTI, General Manager at Penny's Diner, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Sir,

I apologize for your unhappy dining experience. At Penny's Diner we strive to give our customers the best possible experience during their meal. We have retrained our staff and focused them to provide an excellent experience and better quality food. Please allow us to have another chance at providing you an excellent dining experience.

Best Regards,

Carlos Pedera
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good service but”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our service at the counter was very good but food was mediocre. Pea soup had nice consistency but little bit of ham wasn't very good. Chicken fried steak with eggs was just ok. Eggs not really scrambled & chicken fried steak was so so. Toast was good! We may not go back, though. There have to be better spots in Yuma than this.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Lisa D,

Best Regards,

Carlos Pedera
Yuma, Arizona, United States
“Breakfast like it should be.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We love going to Penny's Diner, and do so often. The portions are VERY generous and their biscuits and gravy are wonderful. I can never finish all my food, but i certainly enjoy trying. The wait staff is friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and happy. They have a very nice selection of items and even offer some Senior fare. Definitely a great bargain!

• Visited May 2014
“A fun Diner”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

A great diner with good food. This breakfast came with our hotel and we felt that we had gotten a really good bonus. It"s fun to watch the cook and the staff from the counter. The food was good, fresh and tasty. Busy for breakfast.

Visited May 2014