“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
Isle of Man
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 17 May 2006

We were on a road trip recently, and made it to Yuma! As I am a platinum card holder - hunted out the Holiday Inn - which is difficult as there are no signs once you are off the Freeway! Got a walk-in rate of $99 - plus the obligatory hidden US taxes.(why cant you just include the taxes???) Hotel seems brand new - lovely rooms - spotlessly clean - ours had a microwave and was on the top floor.
Nearby is a brand new shopping centre and cinema complex. When we arrived, we headed over there for a bite to eat. Seemingly like most American hotels, they are right by the freeway! - not much of a view and can be noisy all night. Did not have time to use the nice pool area - headed out of town in the morning!

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Gags

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed 12 March 2006

We were on a family vacation and visiting friends in Yuma and were lucky enough to stumble on the Holiday Inn Yuma. What a beautiful new motel. Town was packed because of car shows and other events so the hotel was booked. Beds were comfortable, service was great, staff was friendly. Pool area was nice even though overcrowded one afternoon. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and will if we go down again next winter. Lots of activities and good eating in same area. Also lots of good shopping. Stay here you won't be sorry.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Leslie T
Ridgecrest, CA
Reviewed 7 October 2005

Good things happened when I first called to book a room at the Holiday Inn, Yuma. The gal who fielded my call hooked me up with the rate I needed, and was just plain nice to talk to, a real plus in my book. I ride my motorcycle as often as I can when I travel, and my trip to Yuma was no exception. Upon arrival, after a stirring trip through a sandstorm in the Imperial Dunes, I presented myself at the check-in desk looking something like James Mason's portrayal of Erwin Rommel in "The Desert Fox".

No worries; glad to see you. Check-in was quick and utterly painless.

My room was exceptional for a hotel in this price class. The decor seeks to lift its nostrils above the corporate cheese of the normal and the beds are, no kidding, really comfortable. The place is pet-friendly, has Wi-Fi on the ground floor (restaurant, bar, lobby, poolside) but you have to plug in for Internet service in the rooms via a (supplied at the desk) Cat-5 cable. Broadband is free for guests, however, and painless in all regards. I am posting this review from an immaculate poolside, feet propped up on a table, livin' the dream.

Not bad at all.

This hotel opened in June of 2005 and still shows its newness. The trees are planted, but it is going to be a few years before there will be shade to speak of in the parking lot. On the other hand, everything here just seems to sparkle. And it's not just the newness; whoever is running this joint has hired an excellent staff, top to bottom. Housekeeping is exceptional, the wait staff make sure you get what you want, and the place is just plain spotless. It's as clean a hotel as I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in a bunch. Just today, while shuffling myself into the bar to get myself a tall, frosty beer, I noticed a housekeeper pulling one of the outside garbage cans out of the way so she could retrieve a carelessly discarded cigarette butt from behind it. Which brings me to:

Smoking ---

This place is a no-smoking facility, top to bottom. You cannot smoke anywhere in the building so if that is important to you, book elsewhere. Personally, even though I do smoke, I don't mind going outside to burn one. I never smoke inside my own home, either, and fully understand the reluctance of non-smokers to put up with ciggy funk.

Service ---

The restaurant, bar, and guest staff are so "up on the step" that I cannot say anything, anything, bad about them. What a great crew! They have made me feel very welcome here. In so many hotels I have stayed, the staff "play" nice, but there is often a kind of subtextual bitterness imparted like outdated mints on the pillow: not here. These folks are genuinely nice people who care about what they do, and want to do it well.

The Food ---
Whoever is working the grill in back is doing a good job with what he or she has to work with. I have only been eating in the restaurant for breakfast, but I can tell you one thing: Holiday Inn coffee reeks and Holiday Inn potatoes reek worse. You know, good coffee is easy to find: I recommend Jose's brand Colombian Supremo for your daily dose (from Costco) and as far as potatoes go, just go get a potato and cook it however you like. Unfortunately, Holiday Inn has settled on a "Corporate Tie-In" with some goddamned Maxwell House/Folger's/or some-other-bozo coffee supplier and the result is torture.

Bad coffee.

I would say not to get me started on the potatoes, but it's too late: This noble tuber, nourisher of the huddled, has found its final debauchment at the hands of the Holiday Inn. A curse upon all who conspire to remove the potato from our hearts, and the Holiday Inn is trying its best to do just that. Do me a favor, stay at a Holiday Inn, and complain about the potatoes, won't you? There is simply no excuse for serving airy, tasteless, disgusting, potatoes to anyone, but that is what you will get at every Holiday Inn, nationwide.

Hot Elevators:

Whoever engineered the elevators at the Holiday Inn, Yuma, neglected to inform themselves of the peculiarities of the Sonora Desert. It is very hot here. When you step into the elevators, prepare to sweat. Apparently, there is a direct conduit of heat from the outside desert into the very shafts of the elevators you must use to reach your room. They are hot as a sauna. As I mentioned, I rode my motorcycle here, and when I climb off it in the desert sun, I am usually pretty hot: but not as hot as I am when I step on to the elevators here! I am tempted to lodge a few rocks onboard and pour some water on them while riding up and down the shafts. The only thing these elevators are missing is fat mafiosi in bathtowels.

Overall:

Okay, so I burned them on the coffee, potatoes, and the lifts. But truth is, none of that holds a candle to the exceptional service, kindness, professionalism, and cleanliness, of this place. I will go out of my way in any future travels to Yuma, Arizona, to stay right here. Something tells me it may be tough: when word gets out about this place, I will probably have to book months in advance.

Posted from Yuma, AZ, 10-7-2005