“Can't Beat the Value!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yuma Cabana Motel

Yuma Cabana Motel
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
Colorado River (CA./AZ. border)
“Can't Beat the Value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

We normally stay @ the Hampton Inn when in Yuma, but this time around they were no longer giving AARP rates during the week unless you were from Canada (CARP)!! That's just wrong, IMO... especially when they had empty rooms. So, we decided to try the Yuma Cabana due to their good reviews... and saved about a $100 a night over the Hampton.

The Yuma Cabana is a much older place, but well kept, very friendly & helpful.... and as such filled up every night. The price is great, the breakfast is about as basic as it gets, ...small muffins, coffee, juice. Certainly no Hampton Inn, but plenty adequate where it counts... comfy beds, clean, secure, even a better pool than the Hampton. We did have a bit of a problem as the first room they put us in wasn't cooling as it should... so after finally giving up and going over to the office @ about 1:30 am to report the situation, they thanked me for reporting that and would have maintenance look into it the next day, their regular rooms were all filled so they transferred us immediately to a one bedroom suite with balcony... at no additional charge, for our entire stay.

It's family owned, and they pride themselves in the total operation as if they owned it... very pleasant indeed. They also directed us to a great place to eat down the street called "Burgers & Beer" which turned out to be far more excellent than the name would lead you to believe... we ate there 3 times while we were there, and is now our new favorite eatery in Yuma. Yuma Cabana is about as good as it gets for the price range... we're glad we tried it! (The money saved covered my dental appointment in Algodones!)

• Liked — Price, pleasant staff
  • Disliked — all non-smoking rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank surfplace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tucson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

Our family of four stayed one night. It has alot of personality and it was a nice break from the commercial chains. The lazy boy is a nice touch and the room was a good size for us. It was clean and priced right. The patio chairs and sliding glass doors were nice for the smokers in the group. We had a microwave and a nice sized refrigerator.

The continental breakfast is just muffins I was hoping for some fruit or cereal maybe. There was no coffee maker in our room so you have to go to the lobby. The pillows were small and flat. The air conditioning was a little lacking but they do provide you with your very own fan.

All and all the charm and niceness of the staff at this retro hotel made up for any of its short comings. It looked like pretty much the best bet in Yuma for your travel dollars after driving by some of their competitors.

• Liked — The awesome sign out front.
  • Disliked — the flat pillows
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Suzapalooza
Lawrence Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

FABU. Loved this place, clean, price was right, nice rooms. what more could you ask.

• Liked — location, price and cleanliness
  • Disliked — arrived too late to take advantage of the pool
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank teegee16
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2007

Stayed at this hotel.. because I have not stayed at this type of property since the 60's No cookie cutter property here....they have a great pool with BBQ, picnic tables, and lounge chairs...morning continental breakfast...the bed was confy...the showers are roomy...Joy the person that checked me in was terrific...she gave me the names of some dentist in Algondones, Mexico which is the reason I went to Yuma....The hotel is located across the street from some great restaraunts and a few blocks from shopping...The staff were always cleaning the pool area and front reception area even at 6am...The housekeeping staff were really on the ball and when I left my room to run an errand I returned and my room was clean!!! I really like that they had interior hallways that were air condidtioned...so when you opened the door your room stayed cool...it was over a 100 degrees when I went...I highly recommend this hotel...

Stayed May 2007
6 Thank Cedar240
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

We stayed at the Yuma Cabana over New Years Eve. We chose the hotel based primarily on good reviews on the site and the sheer fabulosity of the "Yuma Cabana" sign. The first thing I noticed is that the grounds are well kept and the reception area is well presented. This appears to be an independently owned operation and there are certainly advantages to this as everyone who worked there during our stay was very professional and helpful, especially Richard at the front desk. We were given a spacious quiet room with a large private balcony. Everything in the room was of top quality and we especially appreciated the fridge, microwave, and free DSL (wired). On top of all this the outdoor pool was heated to 85 degrees!

Stayed December 2006
12 Thank mmmvelour
LA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2006

If the rates weren't so cheap, I would have given this hotel an even worse rating. I think my expecations were perhaps too high after reading all the great reviews on this site. I've never been to Yuma before, so I don't know what the rest of the hotels were like, but we were quite dissapointed. First the good - the staff was really nice. The room was clean.

BUT, for starters, there was some confusion about the status of our room when we checked in - I thought we had signed up for a king room, were given different rates by the front desk staff than quoted on the phone - which they fixed - they lowered the rate, but clearly they lowered our room too, as we got a single queen room on the bottom floor not on the pool side, instead of a deluxe king room as we were promised on the phone (and given the same rate rate for.)

Also on the "bad" list: this hotel had EXTREMELLY thin walls. I could hear every conversation that went on in the hallway outside our room, and even some outside the hotel in general, I think. And I'm a heavy sleeper - if you sleep lightly, bring your earplugs. And bring your own shampoo, conditioner, b/c they only offer shampoo and conditioner in one, in a wallunit no less. And you might want to bring your own towels if you have sensitive skin - our towels/washcloths/etc REEKED of bleach. I'm not usually fussy about furniture, etc in hotels, as long as things are clean, but the 'decor' in our room was laughable.

All in all- we will NOT be going back to Yuma or the Yuma Cabana anytime soon. But - side note - if you do find yourself in Yuma, def go to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner - GREAT meal at an extremely reasonable price!

• Stayed April 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank janfrompa
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2006

They care!!!!
As a result of my critique of the Yuma Cabana, I received a personal letter in the mail from the owner Melissa Crawford. In the letter she apologized for the issues we had with the carpet in our room and described a fix to insure there wouldn’t be a reoccurrence. I was impressed that I not only received a response. I was impressed that they cared enough to send me a personal letter. YOU WON’T FIND THAT FROM A CHAIN HOTEL/MOTEL! Ms. Crawford also indicated that her personal contact number is now in all the rooms to insure full and complete satisfaction for all their guests. I feel the letter was sincere and the Yuma Cabana’s management is serious about their commitment to their guests. Although I can’t pull my original critique, I don’t feel there will be the same issues at my next visit to the Yuma Cabana...which there will be. I would be delighted to spend my next vacation there and I recommend their establishment.

Roy