“Surprised”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fakapuna
“Surprised”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Check in was slow and I was the only person in the lobby, check out was quick. The property is in an older part of Yuma. It is spread out across the street and such. You get a complimentary breakfast coupon for "The Landing" which I used. Breakfast was OK but it was free so to speak so no complaints. Back to the hotel, the exterior reminded me of the Bates Motel. This was just an observation and I don't mean to be negative. The room was spacious and there was a flat screen TV. The windows are very old and don't feel safe. Each room has a rod iron chair and table outside the front door which is a nice place to sit and mingle with other guests. The proximity to the road and bad windows contribute to the room being loud/noisy. Everything else about the motel not hotel was average. I am not sure about the area yet as there was a bum that walked by and a large intimidating man that appeared to have no purpose on the property that sort of sneaked up on me. This review comes across as negative but my stay was overall very pleasant. I would stay here again for $75 or less.

Room Tip: Can't think of any tips for this property.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Yvonne P, General Manager at Coronado Motor Hotel-Yuma, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Looking forward to your return to Yuma. We have made a alot of changes in the recent month so waiting for your comments on your next visit to the Best Western Coronado.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Calgary
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We recently took a trip to Yuma and were looking forward to staying at the Best Western Coronado hotel in the historic district of town. The hotel is touted as a charming, historical property with beautiful landscaping and upgraded rooms.
Generally it was a disappointment, despite the welcoming and friendly front desk staff. In actual fact, it is a very basic motel on a busy street. There have been some attempt to upgrade the beds and the TV, but the kitchenette units and bathrooms are needing attention in both modernization and in cleanliness. There was a very small swimming pool surrounded by concrete with no landscaping. The sound of traffic was audible day and night, and the back window of our unit looked out on a blank wall.
A full breakfast was included in a neighboring restaurant, which was nice, but the bar in this restaurant was also an off track betting establishment, which did not entice us to patronize it the remainder of the day. No other restaurants are within walking distance.
Staying in the historic area of Yuma does not offer much for the tourist. There have been an attempt to revitalize the downtown, but with little success to this point, since many properties are vacant, and people are not around, especially in the evening. This establishment was at best 2 star in our experience, and should not be represented as 3+ stars. We would not stay here again, and were surprised that the Best Western logo did not provide us with the service and accommodation we are accustomed to.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your stay. Sorry we did stand up to your expectations. We have been renovating the hotel for the past several months, We are almost completed so please return and give us a second chance to show you the changes.We appreciate your business and looking forward to your return to Best Western.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We took a suite across the road from the check in desk, hoping it would be big enough for three people and two pets. It had two bedrooms each with an air-conditioner, which was glacial, but there wasn't enough room for three average-size suitcases let alone our camera bags and our cooler. The bathroom didn't have a vanity to lay out our toothpaste and toothbrushes. I don't know the square footage, but it was much smaller than the average motel room. Maybe that's because it was built in 1938 and was one of the original Best Westerns.

Room Tip: The suite with the kitchen used to be the best room, but they've permanently rented it out to th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thanks you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry the the room you had was not what you expected. One of the advance of this hotel is we have so many room types next time you book a room, book the excutive suite. That is a room with a sofa sleeper and a King size bed, plus another room with a Queen size bed. These rooms also have two TV's but have a lot more room. Looking forward to your call when you return to Yuma.
lompoc
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My wife and I were a little skeptical at first, but we were pleasantly surprised. Nice room and easy location to get too. We also enjoyed the breakfast every morning. We would stay Here again and are planning too in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lompocian
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to our hotel. Looking forward to your next visit. We really appreciate your comments.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My family and I stayed 2 nights (and commuted back and forth to the imperial sand dunes during the day). Pulled into the complex and was a little surprised that it was older and not a traditional style hotel. Went to check-in and the staff was great, offering me a nice room with 2 queen beds. I booked through Priceline and so I asked if I could upgrade to a suite, which they happily said no problem. I paid just an additional $10/night, which I thought was more than fair. I got to the suite and there was a problem with the HUGE PLASMA TV in the main room. Went back to the front desk and they came out to check, and verified there was a problem. The very nice lady then offered to upgrade me to a deluxe suite for no additional charge. This was exceptional service. I enjoyed the size of the room and my kids had their own room with tv/dvd as well. The included breakfast at restaurant next door was average to above average, much more than you get other places. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay and we hope to stay there with you again next month. High recommend!

Ryan Van Langen

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you have any kids... much more room and kids have own tv/dvd in their room. It w...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan V
We apprecaite your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your next visit.
Surrey
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Priceline and other sites rate this place as 3 stars. Sorry but no. At best 1.5 to 2 stars. Located on the old highway through town, noise from passing vehicles continues all night. Unsafe part of town so don't venture outside at night. Room was very tastefully updated and everything worked just fine. Staff really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. They could see the look of surprise on our faces when we arrived. Had it not been prepaid we would have left. Free breakfast is across the street in a local pub.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
We want to thank you for your comments about your stay at the hotel. We are located in the historic area of Yuma, but the county sheriff dept. is right behind the hotel. So I think we are in a pretty safe area. Noise is normally out of our hands but I recommend on your next stay ask for a quiet area and we will do our best. We apprecaite your business and are looking forward to you return.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I love vintage motels and often get off an interstate to find one. This Best Western provided a nice upgraded vintage motor inn room for our one night stay. It was very clean and the bed comfortable. It consists a several properties that are centrally managed so I can only report on my room. Breakfast was included and served in the restaurant across from my building. I have no complaints about my stay and would recommend this vintage motel to friends.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mmcquest
We want to thank you for letting us know about your stay here at he Best Western Coronado. We apprecaite your comments and are looking forward to your next visit to Yuma, Arizona.