“Great staff, but the hotel is looking "tired"”

Holiday Inn Express Camden
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Camden
DFW Texas
“Great staff, but the hotel is looking "tired"”
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

It had been many years since my last visit to Camden and things have changed. There's now a Super Walmart where the old Holiday Inn once stood, which was (years ago) the only really nice hotel in town. The newer HI Express is a little less convenient to the Highland Industrial Park, but still a fairly short drive. The staff at this hotel was very friendly and provided great service, but... the hotel rooms need some updating and maintenance. My biggest complaint was that the bed had a mattress protector that made sleeping uncomfortable and the "soft" pillows weren't really soft - and it took a couple of tries to lock the door (a type that has had some recent security problems) from the inside, so I didn't feel as secure in the room as I'm accustomed. Still and all, there aren't many choices in Camden and the HIE is one of two only hotels I would consider staying in here.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed here in April of 2013 for two nights. I dropped my iPhone cord in the hall as well as left my Nike Fuel Band in the bathroom when I left. The staff found both and held into them for me until I called. I couldn't have asked for better service bill definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2013
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I am a priority club member that has stayed at many HI and HI Expresses. Even though the hotel doesnt look that old, it is showing its age. Maintenance could be better and the rooms really need to be updated to today's style and standards. My bathroom door looks like a dog was kept in there because there are scratches at the bottom of the door. The microwave in the room is old, very old. The air conditioner never got real cold - it got cool but not cold cold. I guess i got lucky because my a/c was quiet. It was nice to have the refrigerator in the room.
I did not smell the mildew that other people have complained about but i did buy some air fresheners to put in the room but i always do that when i am in a hotel for an extended stay.

This is Camden so there are not too many choices. The staff is really friendly and they do try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. So, with the choices that are available, this hotel is probably your best bet.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank smh24
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

I am staying here as we speak. I'm a priority club member. I stay at holiday inns frequently. Front desk staff here are awesome. However the entire hotel smells mildewy and damp. Yuck. I would not recommend this hotel. The room is also dirty. Hairs in sink and on floor. Plus patchy paint on walls. I thought this place was new but I guess not?

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Jstilgen,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The rooms are average at best, and this not the nicest Holiday Inn Express I’ve stayed at. There is a smell of mildew/ammonia in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The air conditioning unit is extremely loud and frequently this horrible rattling noises that made it impossible to sleep at times.

The lobby is clean and well maintained, although the microwave (they are not available in the rooms) was barely operable. There are very few restaurants that are nasty fast food, so I brought something back from the Walmart grocery store and had some difficulty trying heat it.
Holiday Inn is not my first choice for hotels, but there is little else in the area. From what I’ve been told by my co-workers, this hotel is far better than the other two in Camden. This hotel does not offer my employer’s standard per diem room rate for the area, but neither do the other two Camden hotels.

I may have work out in Camden again, so its either here or the Hampton Inn that is 30 miles away.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Lori D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Likesthebeach8,

Thank You for writing a review for the Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Camden Arkansas. It is our mission to make every guest comfortable and feel that they are at their home away from home. I believe that your concerns are genuine and would like to have the opportunity to address t hem with you personally. Please feel free to contact via email: lori@shinnent.com or via phone @ 870-836-8100. Thank You again for taking your time reviewing the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

Kindest Regards,

Lori DeWoody
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Not much to this town but this hotel is nice. Clean, friendly staff and good breakfast. A bit pricey but it's worth it

Stayed April 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have stayed at the HIE in Camden 23 times in the past four years, pretty alarming, eh? I have always found this HIE to be very well maintained and operated. The night clerk would always make a fresh pot of coffee when I would often wake up much earlier than the breakfast service; this was greatly appreciated.

The visitors lounge is very comfy with huge leather chairs and sofa's where along with my colleagues enjoyed after dinner conversations and cocktails prior to settling in for the night.

There aren't many options for hotels in rural Camden AR, but this one I would recommend if you happen to be traveling through lower Arkansas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Lori D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Mr. Galvin,

Thank You for your kind words regarding the Holiday inn Express and Suites in Camden, AR. My staff is very passionate about the satisfaction of our guest. Their attention to detail and Great Southern Hospitality comes alive when you walk through the doors. I hope that the next time you are in town for 1 day or 23 days that you will choose us again.

Kindest Regards,

Lori DeWoody

Been to Holiday Inn Express Camden? Share your experiences!