“Good and Not so Good”

Holiday Inn Express Camden
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Camden
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The Good:

Front desk lady was excellent and very helpful. I felt very welcome.
Snacks in the room were a nice treat.
Bed was very comfortable and I liked the fact that the pillows were labelled so that I knew which ones were softer and which ones were firmer.
The internet speed and reliability was better than any hotel that I have stayed at in the past two years.
The free breakfast in the morning was better than most HIE or Hampton Inns. Breakfast room was also very welcoming and comfortable.
Room temperature was very comfortable and the A/C unit was quiet compared to most.
Exterior of hotel looked new and well maintained.

Not so Good

Room smelt musty and the hallways had an "old" musty smell.
Furniture in the room was definitely in need of replacing. Work desk was chipped and the work chair was on the verge of falling apart. Used my leatherman to tighten the screws so that I could sit in it.
Bathroom was not clean at all. Bathtub was yellowed and did not look like it had every had a good cleaning since it had been installed. I did not have shower shoes with me and without them I was not not going to step into the tub.
Carpet did not look like it had been cleaned for quite a well.
There were holes in the walls around the light switches including in the bathroom.

In short, the staff and service were very good, the bed was comfortable, the public spaces were good, the breakfast was good, but the cleanliness and maintenance of the room left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jclassvan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Jclassvan,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was with us. I appreciate the favorable comments about the breakfast items and staff service as well as our comfortable beds. We are sorry we fell short of your expectations. I truly apologize for the inconveniences that happened during your stay particularly with the unacceptable cleanliness and maintenance of the room amenities. I truly value the comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 June 2013

It had been many years since my last visit to Camden and things have changed. There's now a Super Walmart where the old Holiday Inn once stood, which was (years ago) the only really nice hotel in town. The newer HI Express is a little less convenient to the Highland Industrial Park, but still a fairly short drive. The staff at this hotel was very friendly and provided great service, but... the hotel rooms need some updating and maintenance. My biggest complaint was that the bed had a mattress protector that made sleeping uncomfortable and the "soft" pillows weren't really soft - and it took a couple of tries to lock the door (a type that has had some recent security problems) from the inside, so I didn't feel as secure in the room as I'm accustomed. Still and all, there aren't many choices in Camden and the HIE is one of two only hotels I would consider staying in here.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed here in April of 2013 for two nights. I dropped my iPhone cord in the hall as well as left my Nike Fuel Band in the bathroom when I left. The staff found both and held into them for me until I called. I couldn't have asked for better service bill definitely stay here again

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I am a priority club member that has stayed at many HI and HI Expresses. Even though the hotel doesnt look that old, it is showing its age. Maintenance could be better and the rooms really need to be updated to today's style and standards. My bathroom door looks like a dog was kept in there because there are scratches at the bottom of the door. The microwave in the room is old, very old. The air conditioner never got real cold - it got cool but not cold cold. I guess i got lucky because my a/c was quiet. It was nice to have the refrigerator in the room.
I did not smell the mildew that other people have complained about but i did buy some air fresheners to put in the room but i always do that when i am in a hotel for an extended stay.

This is Camden so there are not too many choices. The staff is really friendly and they do try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. So, with the choices that are available, this hotel is probably your best bet.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank smh24
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

I am staying here as we speak. I'm a priority club member. I stay at holiday inns frequently. Front desk staff here are awesome. However the entire hotel smells mildewy and damp. Yuck. I would not recommend this hotel. The room is also dirty. Hairs in sink and on floor. Plus patchy paint on walls. I thought this place was new but I guess not?

• Stayed: August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Jstilgen,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 July 2012

The rooms are average at best, and this not the nicest Holiday Inn Express I’ve stayed at. There is a smell of mildew/ammonia in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The air conditioning unit is extremely loud and frequently this horrible rattling noises that made it impossible to sleep at times.

The lobby is clean and well maintained, although the microwave (they are not available in the rooms) was barely operable. There are very few restaurants that are nasty fast food, so I brought something back from the Walmart grocery store and had some difficulty trying heat it.
Holiday Inn is not my first choice for hotels, but there is little else in the area. From what I’ve been told by my co-workers, this hotel is far better than the other two in Camden. This hotel does not offer my employer’s standard per diem room rate for the area, but neither do the other two Camden hotels.

I may have work out in Camden again, so its either here or the Hampton Inn that is 30 miles away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Lori D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Camden, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Likesthebeach8,

Thank You for writing a review for the Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Camden Arkansas. It is our mission to make every guest comfortable and feel that they are at their home away from home. I believe that your concerns are genuine and would like to have the opportunity to address t hem with you personally. Please feel free to contact via email: lori@shinnent.com or via phone @ 870-836-8100. Thank You again for taking your time reviewing the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

Kindest Regards,

Lori DeWoody

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Not much to this town but this hotel is nice. Clean, friendly staff and good breakfast. A bit pricey but it's worth it

Stayed: April 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Express Camden? Share your experiences!