“Very nice inn with modern clean rooms”

The Bird In Hand Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Knowl Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Bird in Hand after arriving at Heathrow. The location was perfect for our purposes. When we pulled up I was a bit concerned, but it is a rather old building. I needn't have worried though. The room was modern, clean, and comfortable. Had our first English breakfast there and it was very good. The bar and dining area are beautiful. I would definitely recommend The Bird in Hand Country Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your review and i am glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm not sure if you had come straight from California as it would certainly have been very different for you to see our old fashioned building - i am pleased you were not disappointed.
Caroline shone

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for quite a number of years now, and never been disappointed. The food is always excellent and the service friendly, but not in your face. There are a range of rooms, to suit various budgets. The standard rooms are clean and quiet, but if you fancy something more, the new deluxe rooms are an absolute delight. We have stayed in two of them, and been impressed by the decor and homage to the hotel's long history. Couldn't recommend it more, and will be back again.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the main hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased you have enjoyed staying with us and do hope to meet you when you next visit. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

What a lovely place to stay. Every thing was perfectly clean and tidy, we were lucky enough to have an up grade to the George 3rd room, which is a real WOW room! The ensuite is fab, although the shower floor is very slippery, but their is a rubber mat, otherwise everything was sparkling clean and has under floor heating too.Lovely kingsize bed with fresh clean crisp white bedding.
The Staff are very helpful and friendly, food was great, well cooked and nicely presented, generous portions, which pleased my husband! Breakfast was also good, with friendly staff it is self service cooked or continental breakfast, very relaxed just what you want first thing in the morning. I can only say good things about this place as we had a really lovely time.
When we were driving around reading, and the surrounding area we were lucky to see several Red Kites which made my day, what a bird!!...
We will be back for sure, if in the area. Thank-you....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mary s
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to ensure we provide excellent food and service and it is really useful to receive all feedback( good and bad) so we can monitor this. Yes the red kites are amazing and we seem to have loads in this area.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Had reason to be looking for 2 rooms just outside of Slough on an exceptionally "last minute" basis. Decided on The Bird in Hand due to the reasonable price, on site dining facilities and favourable reviews. It was easy to find and whilst not situated in what I would consider a country location, it was certainly quiet. Check in was quick and efficient. My colleague was allocated to one of the Executive Annexe Rooms (2) which although a little dated in decor, offered a superking bed and decent size bathroom. My deluxe room (Robin) in the main building was spotless, newly decorated with a large walk in power shower and aircon unit. We ate in the Inn and found the food to be very tasty and reasonably priced. The duty staff were, I have to say, super. Really friendly and helpful. A good night's sleep followed for me with no noticeable noise from other guests or, with all the windows open, the road. Breakfast was served til 11am and in the format of a buffet. A cooked section with something to please everyone, nice thick toast and a decent selection of pastries, cereals, juices and preserves. Check out was smooth and the hotel responded promptly to an email regarding me having left my phone charger in the room. Would definitely return if business brings me back to the area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

What a lovely review thank you. I shall certainly pass on your comments to the staff. It is always a real boost to be told that we have provided a good experience and that makes it all worthwhile!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

A lovely stay. The room was one of the suites, and gorgeous, for what was a very reasonable rate. We had a lovely meal, and a bottle of wine for again reasonable prices. Breakfast was again cracking. The staff were friendly and helpful. A return for us is inevitable.

Only downside was very uncomfortable pillows, but we didnt ask to change them. I would next time...

Room Tip: Windsor suite was ours, and beautiful
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am pleased you were happy with the whole experience but am sorry you found the pillows uncomfortable. We can certainly supply different ones when you next visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Afternoon Lunch, ordered Mackerel starter, when it arrived it was the smallest fish I had seen, I did not know you can buy it that small, in fact It was so small I felt it needed throwing back in the sea to grow a bit, Then turkey roast arrived, gravy had been overheated there was none apart from a skin at the edge of the plate, the potatoes were all burnt, veg bland, taste less, turkey dried out, 2 of the 4 real ales not available, told pipes needed cleaning, told the bar staff when I went to pay, all he said was he feed that info back to the chef, no bill reduction offered, in the past this used to be a nice venue, not anymore, We will not be returning, I think they are trading on past reputation, avoid, better food to be found nearby, ( I had a better roast at a Toby Carvery surely they should be doing better)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roy T
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

I am sorry you had such a disappointing experience with us. This is certainly not what the Bird in Hand is about.
I know that the mackerel starter was a fillet and was very popular on our Specials menu last week but I had no other feedback on the portion size. I am mortified that your main course was so bad. The staff do check backs on each table when food is served and would have replaced your meal immediately. It is a shame that we didn't know until the end.
Last week we had 5 real ales on so it was very unfortunate that we had 3 go at around the same time. As you know it does take time to clean the lines which would have been very frustrating for you.
If you would like to discuss this further with me my number is 01628826622

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We visited for a meal with family as a Birthday treat for one of our party. The staff were attentive and helpful but the food was awful. A couple of the dishes we ordered were ok but I ordered the beef bourginon and my husband ordered the steak & mushroom pie. The bourginon arrived and I was instantly disappointed, the meat was dried out on the outside (been hanging around) and the sauce was not a sauce but a watery tasteless brown liquid with no onions or bacon, not a beef bourginon at all. I asked my husband to remove his pie lid and surprise surprise my dish was the same as his watery pie filling! My desert was the brochette of exotic fruit, the fruit had been soaked in a nasty tasting marinade which left all the (tiny) pieces of fruit soggy and unpleasant. We did not speak up as we did not want to embarrass the person whose birthday it was. It is really frustrating to go our for a meal pay good money and have food that is worse than we eat at home. Will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing meal. This should not have happened and i have no excuse. I shall write to you directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowl Hill
Hurley House Hotel
Hurley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Crazy Fox Boutique Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Bird In Hand Country Inn? Share your experiences!