“One of the Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Knowl Hill B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“One of the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during Henley Week. From the moment we arrived, I felt completely at home. Enjoyed a bottle of chilled wine sitting in the beautiful garden near the fountain: so relaxing. We had George III suite and it lived up to its royal name: free standing bath, huge walk in rain forest shower as well. Our suite had a real touch of Tudor about it, and I was completely charmed. As well as the large comfortable bed - didn't want to leave [either the hotel or the bed!] we had a large flat screen tv, slippers and bath robes. We ate in the bar area the first night. Food excellent, except the "shortbread" that accompanied the crème brulee [the only disappointment I have to say}. The menu is changed regularly and a very good choice was on offer whilst we were there. I had pork with red cabbage and sweet potato puree, my partner had rib eye all top class. Caroline Shone is the proprietor of this charming country inn and I wasted no time in letting her know how delightful this place is, as well as a good friendly team who were relaxed but 100% efficient. Breakfast is possibly the best I have ever eaten at a hotel and consisted of fresh ingredients and a very good range to choose from. I have no doubt that I will be returning to this wonderful place. Top marks from me!

Room Tip: This inn is just off the main Bath Road, but traffic was not really too much of an issue provided yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Well i have to say i am over the moon with your review thank you. As i often state it really does make it all worthwhile! It was a pleasure to have met you too and i hope you had a lovely time at the Regatta.
Caroline Shone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We arrived very early - not expecting to check in - but the confused look from the receptionist was not helpful, he didn't actually respond whether it would be possible to complete any paperwork etc. and looked perplexed that we'd request directions to get a cup of tea at 10am. We were able to order a pot of tea and enjoy the courtyard area prior to setting off for our day out. The staff were happy to help us, with table service.

On our return we were able to check-in, and enjoy a drink in the bar - which had a nice atmosphere.

Although a nice size, with a huge and comfortable bed, the bedroom had little airflow - the only way we were able to sleep on the hottest day of the year was to open the velux window, letting in light, traffic sounds and bugs. Unfortunately I drifted back to sleep after having been awake many times during the night, so didn't leave enough time to enjoy the breakfast or beverages on offer.

The bathroom was a clean and well kept as were all areas of the hotel we visited.

Check out was swift. I would recommend this hotel, however suggest in the summer the executive rooms may not offer you the 'ambience' you require to have a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without a velux window
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. What a shame we didn't offer you a fan for your room as this would have made your stay much more comfortable. I do apologise for this. I believe you enjoyed the rest of your stay and it is unfortunate that due to such high demand during Henley Regatta the 'best available rate' is high.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the bird in hand whilst on a training course so it was booked through work,

I can honestly say the bar staff and restaurant staff were some of the friendliest I've ever met !

The hotel has a comfortable bar and restaurant with a great menu ( I would recommend the specials which are displayed on a chalkboard behind the bar and changed daily.)

My room was no1 which was a twin room in the annexe which was neat clean and tidy with all the usual bits and bobs + a trouser press which was great although i thought the radio alarm clock looked very dated and needs to be updated in my opinion, bed was great

my verdict - very friendly and very good

Room Tip: stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review and i am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is really wonderful to receive such lovely feedback which i will pass on to the staff. It certainly makes it all worthwhile! Point noted about the clock radio.
caroline Shone
Huddersfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

One night stay including breakfast, thought the price was a little steep especiaslly when they advertised at the Pub from £60pp. its classed as a 4* but i would rate it a 3*.
Cleanliness was excellent both in rooms and in restaurant.
Room 12 had a large bed (bigger than king) and mattress quite firm. Bathroom recently refurbished and very roomy. Had a slight problem operating shower, but husband came to the rescue!
Friends stayed in room 15, that room was considerably smaller and mattress was too soft. they did not have a good night. So two very different pieces of feedback, dependant on the room.

Evening meal had a wide variety on the menu, the waiting and bar staff were very accommodating and friendly. Everything was well presented and plenty of it. Moderately priced aswell.
Breakfast was a buffet style, with cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit (this could have been presented better) and the compuilsory english breakfast platter, sausage, black pud, bacon, choice of eggs, fried bread, hash brown, mushrooms and tomatoes. Excellent choice and stand of food. Would we visit again, probably but only if the rate was lower!

Room Tip: room 12 - large bed, but some noise from road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I believe you did mention to the general manager on departure that your friends did not sleep well and he has contacted them direct as they did not mention it to him. It is really unfortunate as we have never had a complaint about the mattresses before and have been checking with guests in that room since then. I believe the manager also explained that the room rates do vary depending on availability, day of the week, season and so on. You had booked at the best available rate and paid in advance for the rooms during Royal Ascot which is a very busy week. Thank you for your comments about the food and staff which I shall feed back.
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We visited the restaurant on a rare evening out without the children to escape from a busy Ascot. We ordered the sea bass and pork. Both were beautiful in presentation and taste. The house wine was perfectly acceptable. The waitress was professional, helpful and friendly. Worth the scenic drive and would recommend. Hope to be back again soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. What a good idea to actually get out of Ascot during such a busy week! I am pleased it was worth the journey to visit us and you enjoyed your evening. I hope you get a chance to pop over again.
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

despite being located on the main road i found the hotel very quiet, though getting in and out of the car park at rush hour wasnt fun, and in a nice quiet setting.

the food in the bar was excellent and good portions, there was a nice selection of drinks as well.

the rooms were clean and well laid out, in fact somewhat larger than i expected. I would recommend the rooms on the first floor as despite the roof location they are nice and quiet and feel very secure given the number of doors to go through to get to them.

a nice friendly hotel with good food. would recommend if staying locally for business over the normal travelodges etc as they are nearly the same price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found that despite the road being reasonably close it did not cause any disturbance. I shall pass your comments on to the chef - it is always nice to give him good feedback.
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We ordered lunch and took our drinks, however, on checking our bill we asked a member of staff to explain the price of the drinks which seemed excessive. She was very unhelpful and after a brief conversation she just threw the glass of wine down the sink in temper! We decided not to eat there after this and went elsewhere for a very pleasant, relaxed lunch.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda S
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I am sorry to hear you felt a member of staff had been rude to you. I have investigated this and understand that you chose our most expensive wine by the glass ( having been offered the house wine) which you then returned as you had not realised the price. The staff member agreed to change it and your original glass of wine was thrown into the basin as we cannot put it back into the bottle. This gesture was not meant to be rude or offensive and I apologise if it came across that way.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowl Hill
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,121 reviews
The Great House At Sonning
The Great House At Sonning
#1 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Bird In Hand Country Inn? Share your experiences!