“A bird in the hand....”

Ranked #1 of 2 Knowl Hill B&B and Inns
County Cork, Ireland
“A bird in the hand....”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms and hotel as the parking and entrance is deceiving of what lies within. I was also very pleased with the room which appeared to be newly decorated and very comfortable.

My colleague and I had a delicious dinner in the restaurant which had a menu that made making a choice very difficult.

Stayed April 2014
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. It is quite ironic that i have been considering various ways of enhancing the frontage and car park to really capture the atmosphere and character of the inside of the building. Not an easy project! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and welcome your comments.
Caroline Shone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This pub is situated on the North side of the A4 Bath Road, a few miles West from Maidenhead. It is set well back from the road with a large car park. It is all too easy to drive past inadvertently.

Inside it retains its "old world charm" with various "nooks and crannies" in which to sit and enjoy a drink and a meal. The food is quite expensive, but is of good quality and served reasonably quickly even when the pub is busy.

The staff are very helpful. It is not often that one is offered a "taster" of a new "guest beer" in a small glass before ordering a pint: a nice touch.

The pub is a regular venue of the Thames Valley Morgan Sports Car Club. With a good car park and service like this, it is easy to see why!

Stayed April 2014
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review about your recent visit. It is always very interesting and informative to receive feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were not staying here, but called in for an evening meal. Staff were friendly, efficient and courteous and we had a delicious evening meal of good English food, including steak and kidney pudding. Parking is ample. Looks like a nice place to stay. Would thoroughly recommend for dining.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We have had a change of head chef recently and he is very keen, as am i, on traditional English food.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during Henley Week. From the moment we arrived, I felt completely at home. Enjoyed a bottle of chilled wine sitting in the beautiful garden near the fountain: so relaxing. We had George III suite and it lived up to its royal name: free standing bath, huge walk in rain forest shower as well. Our suite had a real touch of Tudor about it, and I was completely charmed. As well as the large comfortable bed - didn't want to leave [either the hotel or the bed!] we had a large flat screen tv, slippers and bath robes. We ate in the bar area the first night. Food excellent, except the "shortbread" that accompanied the crème brulee [the only disappointment I have to say}. The menu is changed regularly and a very good choice was on offer whilst we were there. I had pork with red cabbage and sweet potato puree, my partner had rib eye all top class. Caroline Shone is the proprietor of this charming country inn and I wasted no time in letting her know how delightful this place is, as well as a good friendly team who were relaxed but 100% efficient. Breakfast is possibly the best I have ever eaten at a hotel and consisted of fresh ingredients and a very good range to choose from. I have no doubt that I will be returning to this wonderful place. Top marks from me!

Room Tip: This inn is just off the main Bath Road, but traffic was not really too much of an issue provided yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Well i have to say i am over the moon with your review thank you. As i often state it really does make it all worthwhile! It was a pleasure to have met you too and i hope you had a lovely time at the Regatta.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We arrived very early - not expecting to check in - but the confused look from the receptionist was not helpful, he didn't actually respond whether it would be possible to complete any paperwork etc. and looked perplexed that we'd request directions to get a cup of tea at 10am. We were able to order a pot of tea and enjoy the courtyard area prior to setting off for our day out. The staff were happy to help us, with table service.

On our return we were able to check-in, and enjoy a drink in the bar - which had a nice atmosphere.

Although a nice size, with a huge and comfortable bed, the bedroom had little airflow - the only way we were able to sleep on the hottest day of the year was to open the velux window, letting in light, traffic sounds and bugs. Unfortunately I drifted back to sleep after having been awake many times during the night, so didn't leave enough time to enjoy the breakfast or beverages on offer.

The bathroom was a clean and well kept as were all areas of the hotel we visited.

Check out was swift. I would recommend this hotel, however suggest in the summer the executive rooms may not offer you the 'ambience' you require to have a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without a velux window
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. What a shame we didn't offer you a fan for your room as this would have made your stay much more comfortable. I do apologise for this. I believe you enjoyed the rest of your stay and it is unfortunate that due to such high demand during Henley Regatta the 'best available rate' is high.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the bird in hand whilst on a training course so it was booked through work,

I can honestly say the bar staff and restaurant staff were some of the friendliest I've ever met !

The hotel has a comfortable bar and restaurant with a great menu ( I would recommend the specials which are displayed on a chalkboard behind the bar and changed daily.)

My room was no1 which was a twin room in the annexe which was neat clean and tidy with all the usual bits and bobs + a trouser press which was great although i thought the radio alarm clock looked very dated and needs to be updated in my opinion, bed was great

my verdict - very friendly and very good

Room Tip: stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review and i am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is really wonderful to receive such lovely feedback which i will pass on to the staff. It certainly makes it all worthwhile! Point noted about the clock radio.
caroline Shone
Huddersfield
Reviewed 24 June 2014

One night stay including breakfast, thought the price was a little steep especiaslly when they advertised at the Pub from £60pp. its classed as a 4* but i would rate it a 3*.
Cleanliness was excellent both in rooms and in restaurant.
Room 12 had a large bed (bigger than king) and mattress quite firm. Bathroom recently refurbished and very roomy. Had a slight problem operating shower, but husband came to the rescue!
Friends stayed in room 15, that room was considerably smaller and mattress was too soft. they did not have a good night. So two very different pieces of feedback, dependant on the room.

Evening meal had a wide variety on the menu, the waiting and bar staff were very accommodating and friendly. Everything was well presented and plenty of it. Moderately priced aswell.
Breakfast was a buffet style, with cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit (this could have been presented better) and the compuilsory english breakfast platter, sausage, black pud, bacon, choice of eggs, fried bread, hash brown, mushrooms and tomatoes. Excellent choice and stand of food. Would we visit again, probably but only if the rate was lower!

Room Tip: room 12 - large bed, but some noise from road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cas350, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I believe you did mention to the general manager on departure that your friends did not sleep well and he has contacted them direct as they did not mention it to him. It is really unfortunate as we have never had a complaint about the mattresses before and have been checking with guests in that room since then. I believe the manager also explained that the room rates do vary depending on availability, day of the week, season and so on. You had booked at the best available rate and paid in advance for the rooms during Royal Ascot which is a very busy week. Thank you for your comments about the food and staff which I shall feed back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowl Hill
The Thames Hotel
The Thames Hotel
#7 of 11 in Maidenhead
Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa

Been to The Bird In Hand Country Inn? Share your experiences!