“Great Service, good value”

Best Western Hillside Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We attend a church conference every year or two in nearby Leslie, Arkansas, where the lodging choices are very limited. We have tried six different places in various nearby locations over the years and have never been that pleased, so we decided to try this Best Western on the advice of some friends who have stayed there. We were a little nervous because my son has severe allergies and the hotel website says that pets are allowed, so we made the staff aware of my son's allergies when we made the reservations. The manager said only a handful of rooms are used for guests with pets and the other rooms are kept pet-free. Upon check-in he offered to go to the room with us to make sure there were no problems.

The room was clean and nice with no signs of ever having pets in it. We stayed 3 nights and my son had no problems. The pool was clean and the breakfast was good with several foods offered. When we checked out the assistant manager asked about my son's allergies and if the room gave him any issues. Excellent customer service throughout our stay!

We typically stay at Marriott and Embassy Suites when in larger cities, and while this Best Western doesn't compare to those, you have to remember you're in small town Arkansas and the choices are limited. We will definitely choose this hotel on future visits to the area.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor for a nice view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael M
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Mr. Michael

It was a pleasure getting to know you, and thank you for the kind words. As you seen 1st hand that our entire staff is geared to Guest Satisfaction. We trust that our Southern Hospitality, Full Hot Breakfast and your 2nd floor view of the Ozark Mountains made up for ya'll not staying at a Marriott or Embassy.

We hope to see you on a return visit to the beautiful Ozark Mountains, and we trust that your Son's Allergies are put at ease this summer.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed at this location 3 or 4 nights, usually in May, each year since 1995. They have tried to keep room and the grounds maintained over the years. Most of the upstairs rooms provide a beautiful view. Extremely good continental breakfast. The people have always been friendly and helpful. Will continue to use this motel when I need a room in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ona T
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

WOW "Each Year Since 1995" now that is faithfulness to a brand. It was a joy to serve you and trust that the time you spent here was quality time and that wonderful memories were made.

Thank you for always using and trusting the Hillside Inn for all your Hospitality needs.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Took the motorcycle for a ride in the Ozark mountains. Randomly picked a city, and searched for a hotel. The minute the staff answered the phone I knew I had picked the right hotel. Dawn and her family were so kind. And we felt safe and content. The room was nice and clean, and the view from our room was great. Best Western in Clinton has the right staff running their Inn. and that made the big difference for us. We will be staying here when we return to the Ozarks. The Perkins, Ozark, Al

Room Tip: Stay in the room above the main lobby if you can!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark_Melissa_Perkins

Thank you for the kind words and for your input about our little slice of beauty.

I always find it more exciting to just hit the road and shoot from the hip, and We are sure glad your aim was the Hillside Inn. As you witnessed 1st hand that Customer Satisfaction is our #1 priority. I tell everyone this: "If you do someone good, they will TELL others about you, but, if you do someone bad they will SPREAD it about you" word of mouth is a very powerful marketing tool and each guest deserves the red carpet treatment.

We trust that your ride home was beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. We look forward to serving you in a future visit to the Ozark Mountains.

Hal Baker and Staff.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here Thursday night June 12th. Arrived at 1020 pm after a long dive. Pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, opened my door and was greeted by the smell of cigarette smoke. This hotel has outside direct room access and a group of men that looked like the cast from the television show Duck Dynasty were sitting on the upper balcony area smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. I am a health nut and acknowledge that not everyone shares the same values as me. I associate cigarette smoke with cancer, bad breath, discolored hair and nails, and nasty smelling hair and clothing. I wasn't sure if they were guests or not. I had read the great reviews on this property and was optimistic that my stay would improve so I proceeded to the office to check in.

The clerk was serving another customer before me so I waited my turn. As it turned out I had made my reservation online for the wrong night. She quickly fixed the problem and put me in room 117. I did take notice of the sign in the office that said no smoking on the premises. My room was 2 doors down from the office in an outside hallway area that also reeked of stale cigarettes smoke.

I went to the room and the door had been left open. There were plenty of flying insects in the room. It was late and I was tired and looking forward to a great night sleep from the great reviews I had read on this property.

I proceeded to hunt down and kill the various flying insects praying that there' were no insects crawling on the walls or in the bed. I considered calling the front desk to ask if there was another room available. I always count on tripadvisor reviews and was waiting for my great experience. While chasing down flies in the room I noticed the old threadbare worn out couch by the window. It was badly stained and filthy I wouldn't sit on it nor put my bag on it..it was disgusting. It cried out to be kicked to the curb.

The bathroom had a nauseating, funky odor, reminiscent of mold and urine. The grout on the bathroom floor was part light and part dark, perhaps from mold or water seeping up through the floor.

The bed was solid, but the sheets were extremely worn and the blanket on the bed was so old it had changed texture to little piles of fabric. I got into the bed praying no insects would attack me and looking forward to a great experience.

Then Friday the 13th began. I was planning to wake up at 0800 hours but someone's dog has another plan. At 0530 hours a dog began yipping and barking nonstop. The owners didn't care if they woke other people up. The dog barked for an hour and 15 minutes straight. I was exhausted and in shock at how bad an experience this hotel was. I have never given anything a bad review before. I am a low maintenance person and not a complainer. I have always used tripadvisor to share insights and tips with others.I finally broke down called the front desk for help with the dog barking situation. The woman that answered the phone was very nice. She said she would look into it. Almost immediately the barking stopped. Then it began again and lasted another 30 minutes. I was tired and stuck in a filthy, loud, nasty, bug ridden hotel room.

I got out of bed and proceeded to the breakfast room. My sad room 117 had none of the great views I read about. Maybe from the late check in and reservation mix up I had been given the worst room. The breakfast room was more cheerful and had a clean appearance. The lady working in the room was most pleasant. The breakfast was plain but good. The room had 4 small tables that were full with guests already so there was no seating available.

Then back to my funky smelling room to pack up and leave. It smelled even worse after being in the breakfast room. It now dawned on me why the door had been left open the night before.

In summary: this is a long review, and readers read reviews for the details. If you do not mind cigarette smoking, or are a smoker yourself this may be the hotel got you. If you love insects, and lots of loud noises in the morning, do not mind inconsiderate guests or a bad smelling bathroom you will be ok. The couch is just not suited for anyone no matter how dirty they are.

I hope the owner cares enough to respond. The hotel setting is outstanding with the peaceful mountain views. I dream about tearing this building down and building a new one. Best western should remove their good name from this place.

Room Tip: Not 117. Have no knowledge of others
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank anne d
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Let me express my sincere gratitude for your open and honest feedback, and my apologies for not meeting your expectations.
I feel your experience is due to a quote from your feedback "I had made my reservation online for the wrong night". I believe your stay would have been one to the positive had your online reservation date been correct.

We are proud of our commitment for Customer Satisfaction so if a guest has a complaint when staying at Best Western's Hillside INN we are always more than happy to assist during their stay, from moving them to a different room to pulling their vehicle to the front lobby. My Motto is "Guests are never a bother"

I will use your Feedback for training purposes in housekeeping and guest relations, and trust that you will visit us again on a return visit to the Ozark Mountains so we may have another chance to exceed your expectations, from our Hot Breakfast: Sausage, Eggs, Biscuits & Gravy, Waffles, Cereals, Oatmeals, ETC. to our 100% Non-Smoking Guest Rooms.

Again thank you for taking time to share with others your experience with us.
May your journeys be peaceful

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel/motel is very well maintained for what seems to be an older property. It is a regular Best Western (not a plus or premium) but I was really pleasantly surprised with every aspect of my stay. The breakfast was better than I thought it would be. I know you can get a better breakfast at a nicer hotel, but you'll pay for it. The other nice thing was walking out the door in the morning to a great view!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank drewfitz
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for you review and remarks. The "hill" does have a great view, and a full hot breakfast is a wonderful way to start any day.
Thank you for choosing us for your Hospitality needs.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Best Western in the Clinton, AR area was the best choice of places to stay and I recommend it. Friendly and helpful staff all around! There were friendly hotel guests there as well, and they kept us entertained.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Erica,

We love People, and even more when Guests get together and become friends.

Thank you for your kind words and your recommendation for folks to stay with us.
We hope that your journeys bring you back to the Ozark Mountain area and we can have the privilege of serving you again.

Stay Safe
Hal Baker and "TEAM HILL"

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The warm hospitality offered by Hal and Dawn Baker during my visit to Clinton was truly the best customer service related experience I have ever encountered! In addition to my room being a comfortable refuge from a hectic work schedule at the local hospital that week, Hal and Dawn were overwhelmingly professional and most pleasantly cordial to me throughout my entire stay. Thanks, Hal and Dawn, for making my stay the most pleasant customer service experience in all of my travels! May God richly bless you and your family!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason H
bwhillsideinn, Manager at Best Western Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Mr. Jason

As you seen 1st hand that "Hospitality" is not our Business, it is our Lifestyle.

We love people and you Sir were a blessing to get to know, We pray that your journey was peaceful and that we will get to see you on a return visit to the Ozark Mountains.

Thank you for such kind words in your review.

God has richly blessed us and he uses folks like you to aid Him.

Thank you for using us for your Hospitality needs
Hal Baker and Staff

Been to Best Western Hillside Inn? Share your experiences!