“Mary Thomas is a national treasure. Drop everything and make the trip to see her.”
Review of Family Pie Shop

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Family Pie Shop
Price range: US$0 - US$5
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This place is stunning on so many levels, but most of all because of Mary Thomas, who I would like to nominate as America's greatest reigning pie maven. Even past aganist the age of 80, she is humbly turning out divinely inspirational pie. She told me that her doctor told her she should slow down, but she couldn't bear to disappoint those who stop by the shop. If she were in Brooklyn, NY baking for well to do hipsters, her pies would be three times the price. However, she makes her way in a converted bicycle shed in DeValls Bluff, AR. More than just pie, visit Ms. Thomas's Pie Shop for a lesson in what it means to discover and passionately pursue what you were put on this Earth for. I'm terrified of the day in which she may no longer work a rolling pin, so please hurry and go often as you can.

1  Thank MastadonBBQ

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stopped in and were delighted to see the open sign out, but disappointed to find the door locked. No worries! Mrs. Mary Thomas,at around eighty-years-young, came out of the house next door and slowly made her way around to let us in. The shop is run down, but no one eats in the shop anyway.
A homemade sign with political campaign sticky notes revealed the day's variety of pies and sizes.One can purchase a whole pie, a small pie (basically two slices), or a fried pie. We chose a whole egg custard (because Mrs. Mary said we couldn't get the small), a small chocolate, and a fried apricot pie.
The egg custard was creamy heaven in a flaky crust. I'm glad we were forced to buy the whole. The chocolate was very good with an impressive meringue, but my son didn't share much, so I'll accept his review of it being the best.
The fried pie was a bit dried out; perhaps we should have visited earlier in the day. The filling was good and flavorful, but the crust seemed overcooked.
I'm glad we had the experience. We will definitely stop again when in the area to take a few home. . . just like we planned to do this first time.
To do:
Visit Family Pie Shop, take cash, and pack forks.

1  Thank freetravelteacher
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Almost missed seeing this place. Luckily we'd stopped across the street at Craig's and then saw The Pie Shop set back from the street between two houses. The shop is officially closed on Mondays but the open sign was up and she was inside getting pies ready for Thanksgiving. Sweetest lady, impressive operation, great pie. Hope to go by again sometime and find more options on a regular business day. Love that places like this exist in today's chain restaurant dominated market.

1  Thank 11doglegs
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Stopped and got whole coconut cream and chocolate pies on a trip to Hot Springs. If I'm ever on death row, this will be my desert order. The merangue is perfectly cooked. About a sixteenth of an inch of crispy crust above heavenly fluff. The "shop" is something to be experienced. It's not easy to find. Behind some houses and almost directly across the street from Craig's BBQ. I can't wait to get back.

2  Thank shunga65
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Well worth the trip across the street from Craig's. Perfect southern goodness.

1  Thank homingpenguin