“Beautiful place made more beautiful by the hospitality”

Chautari Paradise Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Nagarkot
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am just back from a trip to Nagarkot....the place is very beautiful....sunny yet chily weather made the place more exciting....the view from private balcony was awesome....the staff was very humble and helpful...
The place seems to be less explored and deserted at the same time...but i believe this is the quality that makes the place more beautiful...
Room service was very quick tough they have to travel a lot...around 60-70 stairs and a long stretch from reception to the room...but the turn up time was good.

The only issue faced was the electricity issue which evens turns the phone off...I get up at 4 in the morning and realised there there was no electricity..not even the phone was alive...it was a little discomfort as it was not previously explained by the staff..

The torch provided in the room was saviour...

Place is worth enough to explore.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neha A
There are newer reviews for Chautari Paradise Inn

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth taking time out of the city to stay in this most wonderfully tranquil place. I had an amazing view from my room and was able to experience both sunset and sunrise in the way described to me. Dinner was plentiful and of cook quality - very fresh. All staff were extremely attentive, even when for some strange reason, my hot water decided to run ice cold!
Will definitely return when I next visit Kathmandu Valley.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank catnewtonhaydon
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Hotel Chautari - Paradise Inn is an extensive compound in Nagarkot. I arrived by bus from Katmandu ($6 RT) in the pouring rain and followed a man sent to meet me about a 5 minute walk to the hotel. The receptionist asked me multiple times what I wanted for a welcoming drink, I finally said black tea. She went to order it, I changed my mind, what I heard her say then was something like if you don't drink it you will be charged. My reaction must have alerted the man who appeared to be her boss: he waved her off and asked for my voucher.

The walk from reception to my room was long and wet. Later I counted 70 steps, up and down, plus two walkways of 25-30 yards each. The young man who guided me there didn't come in to explain anything to me about how things in the room worked. He waited a moment and then left.

The room was large, as was the bathroom. Both had high ceilings and a lovely view of the clouds that obscured the Himalayan peaks. There was a gas heater with no instructions on how to use it, a phone that didn't work, the floor near sliding glass doors was cracked and rotting (presumably accounting for the smell of mildew), sheets on one bed had multiple stains and seemed to have not been washed (the other single bed seemed to be better but color me dubious), gray hand towels, and I could go on. Upkeep and housekeeping get failing grades. For what it's worth, I slept in the better bed the first night but had an uncomfortable sleep. The second night I unpacked my light down sleeping bag and slept much better.

After dinner (buffet and tasty choices of Nepali dishes), I asked the man at reception how the heater works. He came up and showed me. As soon as he left it went out - after testing it I concluded it was out of gas, put on my clothes, and trudged back down to reception, flashlight in one hand and umbrella in the other. He came back, replaced the tank (the room next door was vacant; he took that tank, presumably hooked up the empty one; the people who moved in next day spent a lot of time trying to get it to work before giving up) and confirmed that the phone wasn't working. Shower water is hot and the heater keeps the room comfortable (although I'm not sure it's healthy to breathe the vapors). Although the room doesn't have Wifi, there is a decently fast connection in the lobby.

There isn't much to do in Nagarkot, especially when it's cloudy or raining. I think there are many lovely walks you can take when it's clear, or you can just sit on your balcony and watch the mountains. The next day it wasn't clear but it wasn't raining. I walked into town, and chatted with some tourists and some locals along the way. Dinner was from the menu this night and was inferior to the previous dinner. The wait staff is pleasant and efficient. Breakfasts were good. Prices for food seem reasonable.

The cloud cover failed to break on the morning of my last day. I would have loved to have fulfilled the reason for my going but it was, nevertheless, a respite, if not a very pleasant or comfortable one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had an overnight stay at this beautiful resort on 8th Oct 2013. First of all, I liked the calm and sereneity of this place. In the night, all that you will hear is only the sound of insects. Early morning sunrise view from this hotel was breathtaking...with eastern Himalayan snow clad mountains at the backdrop...it was an awesome experience for my family...The food was very very good and the staff were very polite and courteous.

Highly recommended for a peaceful stay to view breahtaking sunrise from Eastern Himalayas.

rgds
Sankar Natarajan
Hyderabad
India

Room Tip: Every room has east facing Balcony...so viewing sunrise is not an issue. If possible, get the room i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The location is fantastic and the view towards the mountains breathtaking, even if the weather is a bit murky. BUT you must note that this Hotel consists of four 4-5 storey buildings and a bungalow separated by paths, it takes time to determine all the buildings are the same 'hotel'. The standard of accommodation between the four buildings varies hugely. The Hotel web site and brochure (of course) both focus on the newest and best building where all the rooms are classed as 'de luxe', and seem very nice with superb views. The other three buildings and the bungalow are classed as 'standard' rooms... well... the 'standard' rooms in the newer buildings look to be OK but those in the old, original building (room numbers 203, 204, 205), where the reception and the restaurant are located, and where we stayed, are simply appalling. Wet carpet, poorly maintained, everything is damp, faulty/failing bathrooms, intermittent hot water, the beds are the hardest I have ever known, faulty/dangerous electrics, the rooms were dirty and were not cleaned at all, the beds not made up during our three day stay... really grim. The hotel caters for groups and individuals who usually stay for one night for the view and then depart, hence many of the comments on this site as if you were staying in one of the newer buildings for a short time you would leave this hotel with a good impression, the staff are excellent, happy, smiling and helpful and the 'a la carte' food in the restaurant is very good indeed.,,, BUT if, like us, you were staying in the old building you would be far from impressed. It is worth pointing out also that I have traveled widely in Nepal and other similar countries and I am entirely happy to stay in 'local' hotels, what upsets me about this Hotel is that it is promoting itself falsely. We did discuss all this with those on duty at time of check out so the hotel is aware of our thinking and this review.

Room Tip: If they offer you rooms 203, 204 or 205 .... find another Hotel! There are plenty of Hotels here all...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Spent a night at the property. Nice hotel, breathtaking view of the mountains. Clouds were literallty floating beneath us. Surreal view both at day & night. Watched sunrise from the balcony literally shivering in cold though it wasnt even winter. Had dinner & buffet breakfast, good but not much choice of dishes. Nedd to dine early as the restaurant closes before mudnight. The best part is tge ride up & down the moutain through winding riad with a bend every few minutes. Spellbinding view, a must go if you are in Nepal!

Room Tip: higher floor for the awesome view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Nargakot is basically just hotels which cater to tourists wanting an Everest view. We were here early June and the cloud cover meant there was no view at all. The hotel was clean, spacious, with hot water, heating and electricity. The food was generous and edible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple