“No Hot Water” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Nagarkot
India
“No Hot Water”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here three nights, booked by a travel agent in Kathmandu as a part of our customised tour.

The location was at a quiet corner of Nagarkot, a short walk from the main road, restaurants and shops . Check in was quick and we were offered a welcome drink. Our room was in another block, a short walk away. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean with a huge picture window and a large balcony. In clear weather, the snow capped higher peaks of the Himalayas must surely be fabulous. During our stay we glimpsed the peaks just once at sunrise! That of course, was not the hotels fault ......... October to March is apparently the best peak viewing time.

The absence of snow peak views was compensated by pleasing valleys and good sightings of a variety of Himalayan birds, all from the balcony. A pair of mongoose too in the undergrowth below.

There was no kettle in the room, surely this is standard in all hotels by now? Fortunately we always carry our own just in case, and it certainly came in handy in our three day stay here.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and was satisfactory if basic, with Indian veg (paratha/puri-bhaji) and eggs on offer. We had dinner here once during our stay, which was average, though the restaurant staff were very polite and eager to please.

There are other hotels and restaurants nearby which offer better cuisine. Alpine Sherpa just next door is great for a lazy outdoor meal with fabulous views.

It was cold in the mornings and the solar water heater just did not work beyond the barely tepid stage. I do not understand why hotels in cold places do not have electrical water heaters at least as a back up when the solar heater is inadequate. I found this unacceptable. The least one expects from any hotel is warm water to have a bath in the morning.

Most people spend just one night at Nagarkot to experience the sunset and sunrise view of the high Himalayan peaks. For those staying longer, a hotel with warm water would be the preferred choice. There is no shortage of hotels in Nagarkot and I do not know if they all have the same solar heater problems.

Wifi at this hotel is only available at the lobby area. Wifi works when there is electricity or the gen set is switched on. Not otherwise.

Not sure if I would come here again, the hotel was not bad but the hot water was a problem. For that matter, I am not sure I would come to Nagarkot again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gita-TA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised. After my stay in Kathmandu my expectations were not high. After a welcome coffee/tea in the main lobby we headed to our room which was located down a garden path. When I opened the door I was surprised at the size of the room and wardrobe units. It was huge. I peeked in the bathroom and it had all amenities and very white towels unlike the greyed ones in Thamel. I was quite impressed and headed to the windows at the end of the room to open the drapes. WOW, WOW,WOW! I had a fair sized terracotta floored balcony with two chairs on it. I didn't notice them for a minute because the view from the balcony is so breathtaking. The Langtang Himalayan mountain range surrounds you with no obstructions. I met my friends on the rooftop viewing area for both sunset and sunrise. We did the same at the other buildings too and felt very free and welcome to walk around the area. We had a clear day and great view. Birdwatchers will be amazed. I made videos of eagles flying below - yes below us! The menu at the restaurant in the main building is quite varied and all enjoyed their meal. The staff were all very helpful and I had breakfast on the terrace with the resident cat. I brought a big bag of candy and enjoyed a morning walk meeting and greeting the mountain locals. Lots of English spoken here.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a variety of rooms from dorm type to luxury. Are you there to trek and just need a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy D
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here in March and the weather was pretty decent so we had fantastic views of the mountains. I have read the reviews on this hotel and it seems that people have had very different experiences. I will say this much: if you stay in the main building (the one with the restuarant and bar), you are in for a real shock. The room gave the impression that the proprietors had moved into an abandoned, decrepit house and simply threw some beds in. There was cracked paint on the walls, and doors, mildewy carpets and and ROCK hard beds. The en suite toilet was at least decent, but with no hot water.

The staff were friendly enough and very accommodating, but the service at breakfast was a bit hit and miss as the waiter was so shy that he mumbled everything and never got to grips with our order. Breakfast was pretty standard fare, nothing to write home about. We didn't try dinner as we had serious traveller's diarrhoea (from before) so it would be unfair to comment. There was one girl behind the desk who was very friendly and gave great advice ahbout where to go in the nearby town to get good views. She alone made the stay that bit better.

I met another traveller for a drink where he was staying at the nearby Fort Hotel (just up the hill) and was green with envy. Stay there instead! Or if you MUST stay here, don't stay in the main building: simply grim.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the main hotel if possible (the part with the restaurant). Grim, grim, GRIM!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were in this hotel in Dec'13. We reached around afternoon and saw the beautiful sunset.
Our room had a balcony with a little garden in front. The sunrise was awesome. You just draw the curtains of your room and witness the snow capped ranges and sunrise.
The rooms were excellent , bathrooms well equipped .
The staff is very courteous. Food also was good.
A special Thanks to Mr. Anjum , the manager. One should stay here atleast for 2 nights to enjoy the nature.

Room Tip: Higher rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wgrenuka
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed for one night, room had an awesome view of the peaks. Unfortunately the sunrise views didn't materialise as it was very cloudy that morning, but can't hold that against the hotel eh.

Restaurant serves great food, for dinner as well for breakfast. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

For some reason the electricity sockets in our room were of yet another variety that none of our world adapters could deal with, with the exception of the razor socket in the bathroom, but we had to support the plug with a hiking pole so it would stay in a certain position for it to make enough contact.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mistaya71
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am just back from a trip to Nagarkot....the place is very beautiful....sunny yet chily weather made the place more exciting....the view from private balcony was awesome....the staff was very humble and helpful...
The place seems to be less explored and deserted at the same time...but i believe this is the quality that makes the place more beautiful...
Room service was very quick tough they have to travel a lot...around 60-70 stairs and a long stretch from reception to the room...but the turn up time was good.

The only issue faced was the electricity issue which evens turns the phone off...I get up at 4 in the morning and realised there there was no electricity..not even the phone was alive...it was a little discomfort as it was not previously explained by the staff..

The torch provided in the room was saviour...

Place is worth enough to explore.....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neha A
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth taking time out of the city to stay in this most wonderfully tranquil place. I had an amazing view from my room and was able to experience both sunset and sunrise in the way described to me. Dinner was plentiful and of cook quality - very fresh. All staff were extremely attentive, even when for some strange reason, my hot water decided to run ice cold!
Will definitely return when I next visit Kathmandu Valley.

• Stayed December 2013