“It's ok”
Review of Hotel Himalaya

Hotel Himalaya
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We don't really have any complaints on the hotel. It's not expensive. We were there during the (cold) winter and heater is fine. It's big, food is ok, service is good, but... it looks kind os dusty. Though, ALL Nepal looks kind of dusty. In this hotel, everything is just like in the rest of the country: housekeeping knocks on the door even if you are inside because she expects to get a tip, which is very uncomfortable, but everyone is this way in Nepal.
We spend about 5 days here and it was fine, but if I ever go back to Nepal, I think I might look at other options first.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maritereh

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The only reason I stayed here was because there was none of the usual hotels were available.The property is quite huge with gardens et al. The rooms are also decently sized. But thats where the good part ends.
The AC in my room did not work. And did not work for the entire duration I stayed. Inspite of repeated requests to the hotel management, they failed to address the issue. The food is quite lousy and should be totally avoided.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Emptymusings
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have mixed feeling toward this hotel: It's very good on average, but there is big room for improvement. Then you must also consider where you are and compare it with other places around.
Let's start with the good things. I had a room at the upper floor with a nice view. These rooms are bigger then normal, very high ceiling and a nice lounge/sofa near the window. The bed is very confy and has good linen, the bathroom is nice with a huge open shower and hair dryer. There is a nice flat TV set and a fridge in the room, and the air conditioning works pretty well. The room is also very clean. Breakfast is not bad, especially compared to the local standards. The staff is usually friendly. Overall I have a very good impression of this hotel when I compare it with others in the city and I enjoyed my visit. However there is a lot of improvements needed.
Rooms are very noisy, both from the outside and inside: You can hear dogs barking all night long. In the morning, if you want to rest you can’t do it after 8, when the cleaning staff will start making a lot of noise in the corridor, and you can hear them making noise and shouting. The room doesn’t have a kettle, which I think should be present in a place like this.
My biggest problem with was the internet connection which comes both wifi and wired: first of all you have to pay for it, which is unfair since I am already paying quite a lot of money for my room. Secondly you can buy a voucher with a code but unfortunately if you have a laptop and a phone, you can’t use both of them. You must buy a second voucher –which is absurd- or use one of them at a time –which is awful since disconnecting one and connecting the other takes quite some time.
Breakfast is ok but could be definitely better, especially regarding pastry and coffee (which is only instant coffee – no way of having an espresso or a cappuccino).
Lastly, another disappointing issue is the restaurant. Despite having heard many complaints about it, I decided to try it and I must say that the complaints were well funded. I ordered a lentil soup (an Indian recipe that I tried before in many different countries, including India): it was so full of garlic that it made up to 50% of the volume of the soup. I simply had to return it.
It’s probably one of the best Hotel in town anyway and would probably come back here again if I come to Kathmandu, but can be seriously improved!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are very nice and spacious!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FedericoPaesano
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I wont recommend this hotel at all. There is a marked difference in reception/ staff attitude and restaurant service for Europeans and Americans. SAARC countries people are treated like crap. I and my friends were there for a workshop. When our organizers were with us on breakfast in the restaurant, the waiters would hover around us constantly, otherwise no one bothered to even remove plates from our table or respond to our call. The service is lousy and staff is disrespectful. Heating system of rooms doesn't work. Some of us received mineral water in their rooms, others were charged for it. WiFi was not free. Even though our organizer had paid for WiFi and had instructed the reception to give coupon to every one on arrival, but some of us didn't got it at all. I and my room mate were given two coupons but they entered three in our name in ledger. I and my friends were very much disappointed. The arrangements in the conference hall were also pathetic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Noshi G
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Himalaya has got a bit of charm and seems to be a decent value, but a few key needed improvements keep this from being a very good--and 4 star--hotel.

Upside:
- Rooms are spacious, clean-ish, bedding good...but see downside below
- Staff are generally very helpful and pleasant.
- The hotel grounds make for a pleasant, short walk
- There's two pools and a fairly well-maintained clay tennis court

Improvements needed:
- My biggest complaint, which probably cannot be fixed, is that the place is NOISY. Thin walls, doors and gaps under doors mean you hear everything going on in the hallways. Neighborhood dogs bark at all hours of the night and early morning.
- Rooms are pretty worn out, with peeling paint, chipped woodwork and aircon/heat units that need a good cleaning
- The food is quite average overall. Breakfast buffet is generous but nothing special. Room service food was bad from chewy overcooked "tenderloin" and gummy nasi goreng. I agree with other reviewers: walk down the street to Bricks Cafe for better food.
- There's no fitness centre or spa. A separate building housing both is currently under construction.
- Meeting facilities were pretty dreary and equipment need updating

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have the best views, but are also probably the noisiest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GlobalHealthGuy
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is my second stay, on both occasions I have used the hotel for workshops. The facilities are ok, if a little out of date (recording of proceedings was on tape!).
However, I thoroughly recommend staying here. The staff are professional and courteous, the food is good, the location is central. I will come again, God willing.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Located in the adjacent district of Kathmandu i.e. Lalitpur, Hotel Himalaya can be termed as a decent, clean, service oriented and with modern aminities hotel. We have had a history of staying here, on some work or other, and starting from room size, location, housekeeping to check in/out procedures are above average. Though they claim themselves to be 4 star, however to be fair atmost I would rate it 3+ star. The only major grouse I have is the food, which is I must stay is way below average, and needs a major revamp. The breakfast array is rather limited with a 99% probability of finding most of the items almost finished if you happen to hit the breakfast room after 10:00 AM. In addition even the food served at lunch, dinner or ala carte is not really inspiring, and most times tasteless and bland. Also surprisingly since last 2 years, the fitness centre is just getting constructed, but never finished. All in all a nice business hotel, at a peaceful location with decent facilities.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patan (Lalitpur)
Summit Hotel
Summit Hotel
#1 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Shaligram Hotel
Shaligram Hotel
#3 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Shanker
Hotel Shanker
#39 of 207 in Kathmandu
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
#32 of 207 in Kathmandu
Hotel Goodwill
Hotel Goodwill
#8 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Yak & Yeti
Hotel Yak & Yeti
#48 of 207 in Kathmandu

Been to Hotel Himalaya? Share your experiences!