“Style”
Review of Hotel Himalaya

Hotel Himalaya
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I wasn't staying at this hotel but had meetings and dinner here.

This is a very nice quality hotel set in the midst of "third-worldom". My friend was staying here and so I saw her room. Spacious with huge windows and a day bed. Bathroom was large and airy.

I ate 3 nights in a row and found the buffet to be varied each night and not overly priced. There was a selection of Eastern and Western type food, however, the salads all had a bit of a bite.

Guests of guests are not permitted to use the pool, but isn't policed.

My only criticism is the reception staff were most unhelpful to the point of being rude! I have stayed many times in this class of hotel in other Asian cities and never been made to feel a second class citizen.

Stay here if you need to escape the heat and humidity, crowds and of course the dust of Kathmandu.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maggi-May56

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This Hotel is good compared to the average Hotel in Nepal. Rooms are clean and quite modernly furnished. The Hotel itself (common areas) look a bit old fashioned and dirty though.

Breakfast was average as some food didn't look very appealing to eat. Anyways, they had toasts, sausages, juice, cereals and croissants among other stuff so we couldn't complain. We didn't stay for lunch nor dinner as we found a very good restaurant 3 minutes walking distance (The Ricks Cafe) which I firmly recommend to anyone staying in this Hotel.

Wi-fi was pre-paid and quite slow so this is something they should improve and, in my opinion, provide for free.

I would recommend it although we also spent one night in the Hyatt Regency and it was clearly a much better option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GuimBCN
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Well the first 2 days at this hotel were really good as we got what we were promised; a wonderful room on the 5th floor, brilliant view, spacious and clean. The buffet was excellent; did not offer much of an Indian/Nepali fare but we managed. The staff too was cooperative albeit a tad more well behaved/courteous and attentive towards foreigners; other than Indians.

Then when we came back for a day we were put in ground floor rooms where the AC did not work; despite our complaints it refused to work and we spent a horrible night there. To add insult to injury they refused to organise an already paid for dinner buffet stating less people, we adjusted to that too but then what we got was to choose from basic food dishes, we could choose one soup, one main course and one desert when we could've sampled from an entire buffet. This was totally unfair. If they did have to cancel the buffet; the least they could have done was let us choose from the entire menu.

Plus the Wifi was paid; not just paid but quite expensive and quite slow.

I will recommend the 5th floor rooms but ensure that they give you everything that you have paid for.

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sonalbavadekar
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We don't really have any complaints on the hotel. It's not expensive. We were there during the (cold) winter and heater is fine. It's big, food is ok, service is good, but... it looks kind os dusty. Though, ALL Nepal looks kind of dusty. In this hotel, everything is just like in the rest of the country: housekeeping knocks on the door even if you are inside because she expects to get a tip, which is very uncomfortable, but everyone is this way in Nepal.
We spend about 5 days here and it was fine, but if I ever go back to Nepal, I think I might look at other options first.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maritereh
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The only reason I stayed here was because there was none of the usual hotels were available.The property is quite huge with gardens et al. The rooms are also decently sized. But thats where the good part ends.
The AC in my room did not work. And did not work for the entire duration I stayed. Inspite of repeated requests to the hotel management, they failed to address the issue. The food is quite lousy and should be totally avoided.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Emptymusings
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have mixed feeling toward this hotel: It's very good on average, but there is big room for improvement. Then you must also consider where you are and compare it with other places around.
Let's start with the good things. I had a room at the upper floor with a nice view. These rooms are bigger then normal, very high ceiling and a nice lounge/sofa near the window. The bed is very confy and has good linen, the bathroom is nice with a huge open shower and hair dryer. There is a nice flat TV set and a fridge in the room, and the air conditioning works pretty well. The room is also very clean. Breakfast is not bad, especially compared to the local standards. The staff is usually friendly. Overall I have a very good impression of this hotel when I compare it with others in the city and I enjoyed my visit. However there is a lot of improvements needed.
Rooms are very noisy, both from the outside and inside: You can hear dogs barking all night long. In the morning, if you want to rest you can’t do it after 8, when the cleaning staff will start making a lot of noise in the corridor, and you can hear them making noise and shouting. The room doesn’t have a kettle, which I think should be present in a place like this.
My biggest problem with was the internet connection which comes both wifi and wired: first of all you have to pay for it, which is unfair since I am already paying quite a lot of money for my room. Secondly you can buy a voucher with a code but unfortunately if you have a laptop and a phone, you can’t use both of them. You must buy a second voucher –which is absurd- or use one of them at a time –which is awful since disconnecting one and connecting the other takes quite some time.
Breakfast is ok but could be definitely better, especially regarding pastry and coffee (which is only instant coffee – no way of having an espresso or a cappuccino).
Lastly, another disappointing issue is the restaurant. Despite having heard many complaints about it, I decided to try it and I must say that the complaints were well funded. I ordered a lentil soup (an Indian recipe that I tried before in many different countries, including India): it was so full of garlic that it made up to 50% of the volume of the soup. I simply had to return it.
It’s probably one of the best Hotel in town anyway and would probably come back here again if I come to Kathmandu, but can be seriously improved!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are very nice and spacious!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FedericoPaesano
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I wont recommend this hotel at all. There is a marked difference in reception/ staff attitude and restaurant service for Europeans and Americans. SAARC countries people are treated like crap. I and my friends were there for a workshop. When our organizers were with us on breakfast in the restaurant, the waiters would hover around us constantly, otherwise no one bothered to even remove plates from our table or respond to our call. The service is lousy and staff is disrespectful. Heating system of rooms doesn't work. Some of us received mineral water in their rooms, others were charged for it. WiFi was not free. Even though our organizer had paid for WiFi and had instructed the reception to give coupon to every one on arrival, but some of us didn't got it at all. I and my room mate were given two coupons but they entered three in our name in ledger. I and my friends were very much disappointed. The arrangements in the conference hall were also pathetic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Noshi G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patan (Lalitpur)
Summit Hotel
Summit Hotel
#1 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Shaligram Hotel
Shaligram Hotel
#3 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Goodwill
Hotel Goodwill
#8 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
#66 of 210 in Kathmandu
Hotel Shambala
Hotel Shambala
#25 of 210 in Kathmandu

Been to Hotel Himalaya? Share your experiences!