“Good location, ok service”
Review of Hotel del Sur

Hotel del Sur
“Good location, ok service”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Room was clean but smelled heavy to bleach. There was poor water pressure and no hot water. The restaurant was much better than the rest of the hotel! The service was good and the quality of the food were good! I would recommend the hotel as a place to stay a night on your way to the final destination.

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank olgalopezcr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have been going to Hotel del Sur for years now. I live about a kilometer down the road and I occasionally (about one a month) have lunch there with friends. Sometimes I eat Japanese food as it's the only place in the area. Hotel del Sur is owned by a co-operative and it has been going through ups and downs ever since I have known it. There are some serious management and staff issues there. As of lately, the restaurant has been simply abysmal. You can't even get a table with a table cloth. The lighting is the cheapest available, with a couple of bulbs sticking out of the ceiling. The Japanese menu used to be good. On my last minute, I realized that all the wait staff were older gentlemen - completley inexperienced and completely out of their depth. I asked a couple of questions about the Sushi/Sashimi bridges and the waiter - rightly - suggested I speak to the Sushi chef. I had seen the Sushi chef a number of times before. This time, this chubby, unkempt thing came out of the kitchen and started pointing his fist at me - a Tico way of showing that you're friends and completely cool. Needless to say I did NOT feel like bumping my own fist into the Sushi chef's own fist. The same man was about to prepare the Sushi? No thanks. When the bridge arrived, it all loooked prepared. The fish did not smell bad but I could swear this was prepared and readied up in some fridge somewhere. We left disappointed. Another time I attended a conference. There was not a single sign at recepcion as to the meeting room (let alone the location). The place has no management focus and is rapidly going down the tube. I can only support the comments about the karaoke nights on Thursday. The place fills up with hundreds of people. The Palenque (or karaoke bailable) are lound and boisterous and completely classless events. Hotel del Sur calls itself a Country Club. To be sure, there is nothing "country" about it. The Casino is about to close down as it was a major source for problems. I have had my good moments and bad moments at this place but as of lately is has done nothing but moving in one direction: Downward.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MarcelMPfister

Travellers are raving about these San Isidro de El General hotels

Houston
Reviewed 26 May 2013

On the whole it is a very nice hotel. The staff was nice and the restaurant and pool area was pleasant. But, Thursday is Karaoke night! We had a cabin in the very back of the resort and the music was so loud that our windows were shaking. This lasted until 2 in the morning! If you don't come on Thursday I would recommend this place but.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davidInHouston
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Have been comming here for years i believe this will be the last time ! Blinds in rooms do not close properly leaving a clear view to people passing your room , the doors have licks from the dollar store very flimsy Restaurant menu has never changed only thing they change are the prices ! Food is just average , Sushi ? Don't go there !! Waiters are nice and friendly ....
The Manager HuGo is what takes the cake besides walking around looking miserable and being rude like Not Saying Hello to his guests he has also insulted our business assosiates on several occations ! I believe that the manager should set an example to ia staff and should not disrespect his well paying clients . Housekeepers are friendly so is reception but everyone you can tell is on edge !

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Bakopan
France
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We exchanged through RCI - the only resort available in Costa Rica at the time. The welcome and service from the staff was excellent and the RCI representative was very helpful and informative (although prices had increased from what he said at a couple of attractions).
The rooms were very clean with two double beds and the bathroom was very modern with plenty of hot water - not always in Costa Rica!
We enjoyed a morning by the pool and it was interesting to see the local families enjoying the facilities. My husband even used the gym.
The restaurant was really excellent and we didn't bother eating anywhere else at night. The milkshakes by the pool are great too.
We loved the journey to the Pacific coast - passing through tiny communities and the rain forest. Ok the road does have a lot of bends but you are crossing the mountains! The scenery is absolutely spectacular.
The only downside was the noise of traffic from the road - it wasn't terrible, you got used to it - but I am sure if they fitted double glazing you wouldn't hear it at all.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ventura, California
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We used an RCI exchange for this hotel. Definitely not a 4 star by Time Share standards BUT, the staff was great. Rooms were very clean with A/C and fridge. The restaurant was excellent with two menus every night.. Right in the middle of town about 3 hours south of San Juan airport. Great hub to do all your excursions from. Juan Biso from RCI really helped us with our activities and he was right on on every one of them. Free WIFI

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank wineeric
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This hotel was a great place for us to spend our honeymoon. Its close to so many attractions and the staff was so nice. The food was so good that we didnt want to eat anywhere else. Our host, Juan Bisso from RCI was awesome. He arranged for our personal transportation to and from the airport with a guide. The drive is about 3 hours and it was really a pleasure to be schooled about the country on that long drive. The guide even stopped at a local restaurant and had lunch with us, it was great. Mr. Bisso set up all of our places to venture with our own vehicle. We really liked that means of transportation because we were in control of our own time. Our hotel room was clean and we felt safe there. We are planning another trip in 2012 with our children and we are going to stay again at Hotel del sur. Reviews can be givin by many sorts of people, but if your normal americans like us, you`ll love this hotel. Sincerely, Loren & Leah Witsoe.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Loren W
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Isidro de El General
Hacienda AltaGracia, Auberge Resorts Collection
Hacienda AltaGracia, Auberge Res...
#1 of 7 in San Isidro de El General
#3 of 4 in La Cruz
Bosque del Tolomuco
Bosque del Tolomuco
#1 of 15 in San Isidro de El General

Been to Hotel del Sur? Share your experiences!