“Great View-Poor Service”

and 1 more site!
Jinava Hotel & Restaurant
“Great View-Poor Service”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A great place to relax and enjoy the great view lake Atitlan has to offer. Make sure once you settle in your room you have all you need since going back to the reception its a pain in the butt, also the staff is not into giving you a friendly service.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Netg33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel online as they had a reseration form online. Within a day I received an email confirming my reservation for the dates selected. The mail was titled "Thank you for your reservation". After which I sent 3 mails to obtain some finer details, all of which were ignored. Upon arrival, the manager did not come out and greet me. Instead she sent a guest to tell me they did not have a room and that I was supposed to call to reserve a place. This was unbelievable as I had made my way from Antigua on Easter weekend only to be told by a guest that my confirmation meant nothing. The email gave me no indication that the reservation was uncertain. The guest she sent out to talk to me was extremely condescending and the fact that she was too embarrassed to explain to us that they had made a mistake was beyond unprofessional.

Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Billiams
Rio Dulce Guatemala
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Having stayed here in years past, I was looking forward to the lovely ambience and meals remembered. When we arrived, someone did carry our bags up from the dock but showed no interest other than asking me to sign in and then requesting more money than the very nice Nicolas had indicated on the phone. When I explained this, the staff member said that I would have to take that up with Nicolas. The tables, dining area were not clean or welcoming and I had the feeling that the only interest the staff had was in eating (there were three of them grouped around their meal). I immediately knew I did not want to be here with such uninterested and unwelcoming folks. In fact, I felt afraid and have never felt this before in Guatemala. The owners should be aware. Something needs to be done. This could be such a lovely place and once was.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Athens, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Super friendly staff. Waterfall next door to my hammock with a view of the lake. Food was pretty good and the price was much less than I would have ever imagined. It is a bit of a walk from town, and you do have to descend back down to get to the lake, but that was part of what I liked about it! The garden was well kept and the dock with the canoe was a plus.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Great place! great location! great price! Any hotel of this caliber would be at least $200 in the US but we only spent $18 a night.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They have a free kayak you can take out on the lake and their Thai curry is the best I have ever had ( and I have been to Thailand).

This place is a must stay if you want a relaxing and beautiful getaway..

Drawbacks: rooms are fairly basic and some people seem to think the steps were a problem . Just don't stay here if you don't like steps otherwise you will love the place.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Ben K
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here for one night in August while travelling around Guatemala. Our water taxi dropped us off at the hotel pier. There is a bit of a climb up to the hotel but not a big deal for us. The room was basic but for 26 dollars per night what can you really expect! The rooms probably could do with being upgraded but we had no problem with no tv etc. The bathroom was pretty dated but it didn't bother us too much. The view from our room was amazing! What a lovely tropical garden! To walk into San Marcos and it took about 20 minutes. There are lots of tuk tuks around if you don't feel like walking. The food in the hotel was fab. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner here. The staff were very helfpul and nothing was too much trouble for them. We took the hotel canoe out on the lake which was also great. A great place to spend a night or two.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Perdido Key, Florida
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed one night in August 2012 (had planned to stay longer). The property is located on the side of a *steep* hill that has irregular steps & walks with no handrails, a good 25 minute walk from the San Marcos pier (we asked the water-taxi to take us to the hotel pier, but he refused).

Upon arrival, they presented us with a menu to order food - were not interested in eating, just wanted to check-in & go to our rooms. Finally we paid for the room (no receipt provided) & they showed us a room with zero-view, had to pay more for a room with a view (the hotel was completely empty).

The hotel room consist of a bed, towel, a bathroom with a cold water shower (hot water did not work, even though they worked on it for over an hour) - no radio, no TV, no frig., no soap, NO INTERNET (they advertise they have internet service). The 2nd room had a very nice view, though the balcony had a very steep drop-off with slippery tile flooring & no guardrails.

Finally, because there wasn't one glass in the room, we requested glasses to drink some wine we had purchased & were told to look at the rules on the back of the hotel-room-door, no food or drink is permitted on the premises and they would have to charge us for glasses to drink the wine. Then they brought out the menus again & requested we order our meals for the FOLLOWING day.

Bed was very hard, got up at daybreak, took a cold shower & left.

Room Tip: Look at the room, inquire and verify services & fees before you pay; be sure to be in good physi...