My husband and I were on a 2 week trip to Guatemala and Salvador ... I was anxious to show him my favorite places in both countries and Casa Palopó was certainly one of them - even with the extremely elevated cost of the room 350U$ breakfast NOT included I decided we would go for a day and enjoy the wonderful views the hotel has ... without a doubt the best in town! I think that is the only positive review I can give them.
I visited this hotel 10 years ago and I loved it but this visit was a complete disappointment!!! They have not remodelled or changed it one bit.
- Upon arrival the first thing we notice is a horrible smell that came from the flower arrangement in the round foyer table, the flowers were old, brown and rotten, especially the "calas" (they must´ve been there at least 10 days).
- Once we check-in and go to our room, #5, we notice there is NO view at all of the lake so we request to be moved to another room as they had offered us an upgrade on the reservation, they tell us it is fully booked so we decide to hang in there (later at night we notice that there were only 2 other couples staying at the hotel)
- We decide to go to the pool to cool off since it was quite warm but to our surprise they had not cleaned the pool or its surroundings in days so we opt to relax in the outdoor lounge.
- I ask the receptionist if they have any table games, card decks, etc. and he tells me there is a chess board downstairs... really??? a hotel that has no tv or internet does not provide such basics? I complaint and he says that my petition is very "weird".
- So we finally decide to hang out in silence which we truely enjoyed and asked for a cheeseboard and some wine.
- As the sun sets I tell my husband he´s in for a surprise he´s going to LOVE! I remembered the lighting at night was provided by candles and a fireplace - solo romantic. But no, they only light up one chandelier with candles and 3 angels on a wall. There were about 8 chandeliers and 50 candles all around. I ask the man to turn them on to create a nice atmosphere and he says that management has orders of not turning candles on unless the hotel is fully booked. HUH??? At 350U$ a night? So I request once again for him to turn them on and he walks away complaining, tells another worker what I said and they decide to turn 1 more chandelier on. Come on, it takes them 10 minutes to turn them all on and they do not consume electricity!
- Since there is nowhere to go around town, we have dinner at the hotel and ask him again to turn on the chandelier above our table, he did but before we were finished with desert he had blown out the candles of all 3, making us move our chairs to do so. (I must admit the food was good)
- I would also add the 3-4 people working that day at the hotel were constantly making noise, laughing and playing around although very polite this is not what you expect at a hotel that must consider themselves a SLH at the rates they charge.
At 100 U$ a night I probably would´ve accepted all these things but they have to make big changes to charge like a 5 star hotel in Europe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Casa Palopó. Perched above spectacular Lake Atitlan with a view of three volcanoes and located in the Guatemalan Highlands, Casa Palopó offers two distinct brands of romantic relaxation for the sophisticated traveler. Choose from the charming and colorful accommodations in the main building, which feature seven spacious rooms decorated with contemporary and indigenous artwork or a more modern outtake in the private villa located above the main building with a private pool, jacuzzi, living room and kitchen. In the main building relax in front of the fireplace in our hotel living room or enjoy a gourmet meal in 6.8 Palopo restaurant, with elegantly set tables in an intimate cluster. On the glassed terrace, additional tables spread along the wide veranda, 6.8 Palopó is the place to catch an uninterrupted view of spectacular sunsets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Casa Palopo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Palopo Hotel Santa Catarina Palopo
- Casa Palopo Santa Catarina
- Casa Palopo Guatemala/Lake Atitlan