“Our Catalunya Experience”
Review of Hotel Catalunya

Hotel Catalunya
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Pas de la Casa
Reviewed 18 February 2007

I have just arrived back home from a weeks stay at the Catalunya Hotel.
Looking forward to a peaceful nights sleep in my own bed tonight.
The hotel was very noisy all through the day and night. 3 floors up we could still hear everything going on in the bar below ground floor. The noise from outside was pretty loud to. Bars emptying bottles into the bins,shouting etc...
I also found the rooms far too warm, even after turning raidiators off and opening windows (not recommended if staying with small children. High drop and no barrier outside window.)
Apart from the above mentioned the rooms were ok.
Although on occassions there was a very strong, sewage smell present in the bathrooms, more so after having a shower. Reason unknown.
There was a wide variety of food available, but not for vegetarians. Once aware that we were vegetarians however, the staff were very friendly and provided us with a non meat or fish dish every night thereafter. We were well looked after on the food side of things.
The only other advice I can offer if considering this hotel is obey the warnings on the lift - 3 persons only. Naturally if 4 fit then you squeeze 4 in, however, i can confirm that if more than 3 people are in the lift it gets stuck. Not good.
I would probably not consider going back to this hotel myself. I dont feel it was value for money.
The only photo I have of the hotel is shown below. This was in our shower cubical. The window, if opened looks out into the corridor of the hotel. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this, but can safely say the window stayed closed.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank kezzpop

Reviewed 9 February 2007

Myself & my girlfriend have just returned from a weeks stay at the Catalunya & like a previous review i kept an open mind until I had experienced it for myself. I have to say please heed the warnings that have been written, they are an accurate account of the hotel. Firstly the hotel is in fact a hostel with small on-suite rooms instead of dorms. The rooms themselves are very basic but clean. You get exactly what you are paying for. Secondly the food didn't look too bad but we chose to eat out instead, Although some of the local resturants aren't that great either. The main point is the noise. We stayed on the 1st floor (room 111) directly above the dinning hall & two floors above the bar. Unless you were drunk (& thankfully for nights 1 & 2 this was the case) sleep was not possible until the bar closed & everyone had crashed after coming in from clubbing. Unlike a sun holiday this would not usually be a problem as you can sleep in but as most people are up early for skiing the sleepless nights take their toll. Overall this hotel is not a bargin you are getting exactly what you pay for. Me, I think it's worth paying a fews pounds extra for those extra zzz's

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank RichKrt
Reviewed 4 February 2007

So you have read the reviews about the walls being paper thin. I have just ended a weeks stay at the Catalunya. Yes the hotel can be a little noisy, but what can you expect for a large hotel in the middle of Ibiza on snow. Just make the most of friendlty staff, and a great atmosphere, if you want to let your hair down and enjoy it. The rooms are basic but clean and tidy, the food was a god send after a long day on the slopes.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank bopperUk
Reviewed 24 January 2007

When we booked the holiday it was cheap and cheerful and thats all we wanted. I had read a couple of review and thought i wouldn't pass judgement until i got there!!

When we arrived at the hotel check in was relatively easy and the room was clean, but basic which we expected. We went to dinner on the first night and forund there to be a large enough choice of food all of which was good.

The first two nights we got drunk and so passed out and didn't hear any noise at all. However for the reast of the week we were lucky to get three hours a night. The noise is horrendous!!!! The bar downstairs that caters for the locals is open until 3AM every night and the hotel is built directly upon it, and the walls are paper thin. When we went downstairs to request thay they turn the music down nothing was done about it. We were lucky the week when we stayed there were only 45 guests i would hate to imagine what it would be like at full capacity.

Apart from the noise the hotel is not too bad....................the location is brilliant, the food is edible and the atmospherwe is warm and friendly............until you ask them to turn the music down!!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank K8L1N
Northwest England
Reviewed 30 March 2006

We have just returned from a last minute snow deal staying at the Hotel Catalunya. I must admit I wasnt looking forward to the accomodation, only the opportunity to catch another week on the slopes. Admittedly the room was very basic, with the decor not the most up to date but it was clean and comfortable - your bed was made each day along with a change of towels and your bedding was changed once during your weeks stay. We were on the first floor and after reading other reviews I was expecting very little sleep, however the noise was not as bad as expected and we did manage to get a fairly decent sleep each night. I do however think that it depends on what guests are on your floor as some people on the fourth floor did say it was a little noiser than others. The buffet style breakfast and dinner was good, the food was basic but very edible with a variety of dishes each night for dinner. The hotel is situated 2 minutes from the slopes so it is excellent for those of us who dont like carrying our skis or boards too far! All in all the staff, including Juan the bar man, were very friendly and as a budget 2 star rated hotel I dont think it was that bad at all.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed 10 March 2006

This is easily one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Frankly I have stayed in better hostels. Are there any positives? Well, the room was reasonably clean (though mould was present on the walls) and the staff were very friendly. Oh and it has good access to the slopes.

The downsides? Too many to mention, though I'll give a brief selection. The hotel is noisy; luckily we were on the top floor as I doubt we would have had any sleep were it not for this. I fail to see how people on the lower flowers could get any rest whatsoever. The rooms are very small; 3 of us were crammed into a space that was possibly fit for two.

The food is practically inedible. We had to eat out every night (adding cost to the trip) as a result of this. I doubt anyone who stayed at the Hotel would have produced worse food than the 'chef' there. It was truly disgusting.

As for Pas de la Casa, its a decent enough town. The bars are OK, though they have a bit of a benidorm feel and the resteraunts managable but not great. The skiing itself is excellent on the other hand. Not a huge number of very long runs but a massive area to explore and pretty good snow. I'd recommend Andorra for this reason alone, but not the Hotel Catalunya and maybe a different resort than Pas.

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London England
Reviewed 20 February 2006

We as two families of four got a last minuit deal at the Catalunya after reading the reviews i was begining to regret it. When we arrived it was a short walk uphill to the hotel, the luggage being taken seperatly. Because we had children with us we wanted all the rooms close together, we also requested rooms on a higher floor. When we got our rooms we were pleasantly surprised, they were very large with large bathrooms, although the bath sizes were small. The rooms were basic but very clean and comfortable the maids were friendly and done a good job. The staff at the Catulunya were really friendly and went out of their way to find me a birthday cake for my son. The dinners were varied and edible, with lots of desserts to choose from. Pas de la Casa is a lively place with loads of shops and restaurants, the only one i would not recommemnd was Le gigantica they were really rude and ignorant other than that the others were really friendly. The location of this hotel is really good with just a short walk to the first lifts on the slops although the nursery slops and the kindergarten is a bit of a treck. All in all i have had a good experience at this hotel as it was a budget holiday and we didnt expect too much and i will be recomending this hotel to my friends. My only advice is to request a high floor as the lower floors did hear some noise.

• Stayed: February 2006