“Beautiful Hotel They need to work on customer service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau de Perreux - Amboise

Chateau de Perreux - Amboise
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nazelles-Negron
new york
“Beautiful Hotel They need to work on customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

First the good. The hotel is beautiful and in a very convenient location. There is a lovely patio area, where you can either bring your own snacks and or dinner and relax in the evening. Several of the guests did that.
What I didn't like.
1. A day or 2 before our arrival, I received an email stating that the reception is open from 4-8 pm. It basically said don't come earlier. I told my husband this and he said after the 3 hour car ride, let's just go to the hoteI, someone has to be there. So after traveling for over 12 hours we arrived. I don't know if it is just me, but if I am traveling half way around the world by plane, and then have taken a 3 hour car ride, and I am staying at a hotel where I am paying approximately $350. a night, I would like to be greeted by someone at the hotel who says, "welcome, so glad you're here". It also would have been nice if someone said something to the effect, I am terribly sorry your room is not ready, but you can leave you bags here. I don't expect someone to offer me a class of champagne like they do at some of the larger resorts, but a glass of water and to be allowed to use the facilities would have been nice.
No, we were greeted by Charlotte, who reminded me of the guard at the door to Oz in the Wizard of Oz, who said come back at 4 pm. It was 1:30 pm. Really, go away?! Yes! That is what she said and that is what she meant. To be fair, she did offer to show us the quick way into town. So we went to Amboise and had a lovely lunch.

We returned at 4 pm. We had booked a room that slept 4, even though it was only the two of us because that was the only room left in the chateau and i wanted to stay there because of the convenient location and I booked late. When we did check in, and she remarked, "it is only the two of you in that room?" I explained that I had wanted a smaller room but none were available at the time. I asked her if there were any available now and she said, no we are fully booked. I said ok. She showed us to our room, which was room #10. It was a every large room. It had 2 levels. On the first level were 2 twin beds. Architecturally, the room is beautiful You see exposed beams. Truly beautiful to look at. The queen bed was up a set of ladder stairs into a turret. It was very cool, but totally impractical for my husband and I. Now to be fair, we aren't as young as we used to be but I am still fairly agile, but I would not climb a ladder to bed at night in the dark in unfamiliar territory and risk having to do it in the middle of the night. so we slept downstairs. The air conditioning did not work, and opening the windows was not as option because the windows were skylights on the roof and it rained 2 or 3 of the 4 nights we were there. It was a little warm.
We went down for breakfast in the morning. Again, 10 rooms. They serve only breakfast. I don't think I am being terribly picky, but when you serve me coffee, I like my milk right along with it. I don't want to wait. Then the coffee becomes cold. All 3 mornings, ( we left very early the 4th morning and did not have breakfast)the milk never arrived at the same time as the coffee. Also, the first morning, we had a basket of rolls and a yogurt brought to us, which was lovely. As we were leaving, we noticed 2 of the tables had fruit. The next morning we asked if we could have fruit. No problem. ( why didn't they ask use the first day.) On the third morning we noticed one table had cheese and sliced meats. We asked if we could have it and they said yes. Are they hiding things in the back? Why did Charlotte tell us on the first day what was available for breakfast or brought it to us?
Lastly, on the 3 day we noticed that there were only 4 tables for breakfast. We asked Maximillian ( the afternoon person who is lovely and tried hard) if the hotel was full and if not if we could switch rooms. He said yes and switched us to a double room that had a real window that we could open. It was lovely. The night breeze was cool and is was delightful. This room was at least $100 less a night and I know it would have been available for 2 nights. I had asked charlotte when we arrived if there was availability. She could have said, no, not for the weekend, but if you would like you can change half way through your stay.

To sum up, the rooms were clean, the food when given was good. The setting beautiful. Their hospitality was awful and for that reason I would not recommend it.
We stayed second week in June.

Room Tip: The downstairs room was lovely, the AC worked and mattress was comfortable. the upstairs room was ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank thsNewYork
Olivier F, Responsable relations clients at Chateau de Perreux - Amboise, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Guest,
We regret that you did not express discontent during your stay and that your experience did not meet your expectations. We apologise for any misunderstanding in our communication.
A quick prior call requesting an early check in would have sufficed for us to prepare the warm welcome you deserve.
Being an intimate, 11 bedrooms “Boutique Hotel”, we strive to deliver an unique experience with personalized service and are very proud of the usual excellent feedback we receive from most of our guests.
I hope that we can make it up to you and welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards

Charlotte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the Chateau for 3 nights on a 8 night trip to France, the rooms where wonderful, combining modern amenities with old world charm. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, a great place to have a glass of wine in the evening while watching the hot air balloons hover above Amboise. Charlotte was a great hostess, helping us with our itinerary and diner choices (even accommodating us for a relaxed picnic at the chateau!) She was truly great and welcoming. She recommended the Patio restaurant which was one of our best meals on the whole trip ( Cédric, the sommelier paired great wines with our meal). Has a treat we even met Jazz, her wonderful dog, our kids had a blast running with him on the lawn in front of the castle. We will certainly return, its central location to most castles in the Loire Valley make it a grey choice for day trips. Thank you for great a truly "regal" experience.

Room Tip: Roome 9 is truly magical, the pictures dont give it justice, a room fit for kings and queens!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Louis d
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

After some research, we decided to stay away from the town of Amboise and settled on Chateau de Perreux based on the great reviews on TripAdvisor. And as usual, TripAdvisor did not fail us.

Room:
We booked the superior room and it was spacious with separate living and sleeping quarters. The fusion of modern furnishings and old castle charm blended really well together! The bed was really comfortable and there was even a travel cot provided for my 19 month old! The bathroom was clean and modern, and any bath that came with a detachable showerhead was always a plus with me as it made it easier to shower my toddler. The french windows were beautiful, letting in ample sunlight into the room. The room looked out into a green field with a pond and it was so tranquil. The room was peacefully quiet and my previous worry that a chateau would be eerie was unnecessary.

Breakfast:
A simple affair with fresh bread and awesome jams (I think they were homemade?). The yogurt was fresh and my little toddler loved it!

Service:
Francois was awesome and very friendly and helpful. He spoke fluent English and we had a great time chatting with him. His restaurant recommendations were great and we had one of the best French food in France because of his recommendations!

Overall:
Chateau de Perreux is a delightful chateau and we wish we had spent more time there! We didn't have a chance to explore the grounds and would definitely stay here again on our next visit to the Loire!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

We just spent 3 nights at this beautiful chateau on the Loire. It was beautiful. Francois was very friendly and helpful. The chateau was excellently located for sightseeing and just relaxing. The pool was gorgeous and we loved having our bread , cheese and wine on the terrace watching the balloons float over. Thank you so much and good luck with your future plans.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
arundel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Wow what a find. We can't wait to come back when francois has the kitchen up and running. The whole place has been lovingly resorted and is uber cool. The breakfast was superb especially the home made cheese spread. Our room was modern and spacious. My husband used the pool which was warm and clean. Our dogs loved the river that ran through the bottom of the property, fab. Thank you, will recommend to all.

• Stayed September 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a wonderful time at the chateau. Loved staying up in the renovated attic section with its old wooden beams and cleverly renovated space. Great combination of old architecture and modern comfort! A beautiful place. Francois is fantastic, always on hand to assist with recommendations/bookings and anything else you could need. Would highly recommend this as a lovely, peaceful place to stay whilst in the Loire Valley.

Room Tip: We had the room high up in the roof section, top of the chateau, overlooking the gardens, it was lov...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nelle785
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Chateau de Perreux in August. The castle is a historic building, but it has been renovated with a nice swimming pool, modern bathrooms, and air conditioning. The latter turned out to be a good thing, since it was quite warm when we visited. Unlike many older French hotels, the air conditioning worked well. Francois, the manager, is very nice and helped us with restaurant recommendations and other suggestions on what to see. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and extensive. The chateau is built over the ruins of a much older structure, and you can see the ruins when you wander around the grounds. Breakfast is simple but good - fresh croissants, goat cheese, yogurt, and drinks. There is WIFI in the breakfast room. We would stay there again, as it is the perfect launching point to visit Amboise, Chenonceau, and other castles in the Loire.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2, which is very large and has a nice view of the grounds.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BaileySF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nazelles-Negron
Chateau de Pray
#2 of 4 in Montbazon
Le Manoir Saint Thomas
Le Manoir Saint Thomas
#3 of 25 in Amboise

Been to Chateau de Perreux - Amboise? Share your experiences!