“The Ambience of an old Fire Station”

L'Assiette Gourmande
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Stroud, United Kingdom
“The Ambience of an old Fire Station”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

A table for 11 on a Saturday night no problem. A table set in the front of the restaurant and a welcoming Bonjour.
A comprehensive menu at 22€ for three courses.
I went for a beer and Moules avec frites. Everyone was very happy with their wine and food. I enjoyed my Moules and beer
Why not hugely enthusiastic, if it was the Fire Station Cafe I would have probably given it more stars.
To my simple non-Francophile mind a restaurant doesn't have bright fluorescent lighting and the atmosphere of Aunt Sallies Tea Room in Southport. I'm probably wrong.
The three course meal looked adequate but not inspiring, very few vegetables, with an ice cream pudding. - more cafe than cuisine.

All the other reviewers like it so what so I know. I would prefer a French restaurant in England or one in a large town or city en France.

Go there with your sunglasses and you'll probably love it.

PS I am most definitely not a Francophile so this could be a biased review.

1 Thank BoogieBopBruce

France
“ALWAYS A JOY”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My wife and I live 20 minutes away from this restaurant and visit frequently. We always have a kind and warm welcome from Martine and Stefan. This year we had Christmas Day lunch with about 50 other diners.

We first knew the place several years ago when it occupied smaller premises a few paces away on the main road through the village. We well remember the excitement as Martine told us they were about to convert the disused fire station into a new restaurant. Over the next few months we enjoyed watching the progress and being shown samples of fabric or pictures of furnishings which were to grace the new establishment.

When at last the grand opening took place we were not disappointed. The restaurant is pleasant, airy, light and well set out with a large, raised terrace where once the fire appliances were parked. There is wheel chair access to the terrace and restaurant.

Martine runs front of house, sometimes with a waiter to aid her. Stefan works in the kitchen but I do not think he is the main chef. The welcome is warm and sincere.

The menu is typically French with the bonus of an extensive menu of mussels prepared in several different ways. Martine's home prepared olives provide a delicious nibble while you select your food.

Portions are generous, the mussel bowls are overflowing and the lamb shank enormous! The wine menu is simple but adequate and the prices are fine.

The restaurant is very popular for Sunday lunch and is also used by locals for large family parties. We especially enjoyed on birthday for an elderly grandmother when each of the many young children present offered a red rose until one could hardly see the old girl behind her gathering of flowers!

Our Christmas Day lunch in 2013 was super both in quality and price. We were intrigued when arriving to be offered "Soupe de champagne" which turned out to be a champagne, cuantro cocktail with lime juice and sugar, this was the first time we had encountered it and we enjoyed it!

We love this place, it is one of our favourite local restaurants.

• Visited December 2013
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Village Dining”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

A very enjoyable place for a meal, with a good reasonably priced menu and very friendly service. The terrace bar is a lovely addition to the restaurant,which used to be the fire station, with good views of the church and surrounding buildings. We had the set menu, which we found to be excellent quality and value. A good find in a small village.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jeremy C
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Just right on a summer evening, or any other time really.”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

There has been a restaurant in La Caillere for more than the 14 years that I have been visiting the village, and I have had meals prepared by all the previous chefs. Last year the village built a super new fire station on the outskirts, leaving the old fire station in the middle of town, empty. Martine and Stephan have converted the old building to a super new restaurant, and of all the chefs, over the years Stephan has been the best.

You can have 'moles au curry' with frites. I would expect Brits to like this, you may want to ask for extra curry as the French do not like very spicy food. Or you can have a 3 or 4 course meal, or number of other dishes. Maybe try one of the small salads as a starter. The wines are good and not too expensive.

The style is good quality common sense food, well prepared and presented, not fancy small portions in an elaborate structure.

It is late August as I write - a summer evening on the terrace watching the house martins doing their acrobatic flying, a fine view of the church, and having a good meal with friends is a great experience. Give it a try, I think you will be pleased. Telephone 02 51 52 23 41 to ensure you have a place on the terrace, or inside, if it is cooler.

• Visited August 2013