“Unhappy Stay”

Livingston Junction Cabooses
kansas
“Unhappy Stay”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We found the caboose we stayed in to be rundown and in need of repairs. To name a few things, the hammock was so streched out you could not use it, there was a blown circuit and none of the outdoor lights would work on arrival, the patio umbrella was just thrown behind the caboose and was broken and unuseable, the hot tub would not work for the last half of the stay, there was a pile of debris piled right at the end of the caboose that was an eyesore and we killed bugs and spiders all weekend inside the caboose. Needless to say "Romance on the Rails" it was not!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank escapelady

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
moosegirl08
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My Husband and I rode our motorcycles, along with my father and stepmother to Livingston Junction. My father and stepmother stayed in the Depot and my husband and I stayed in caboose 101 for four days. It was the best trip yet! We had a blast! The caboose was so cozy and romantic, clean and majestic, and the depot felt just like home, a quick trip in town and we could get anything we needed food, drinks you name it! The hot tub was a added bonus, a dip before bed and a dip when we woke up and WOW what a way to start the day! This place has it all if your wanting peace, tranquilty and good times with your spouse and family! A ring from the bell to let us know dinner was ready and down the hill went LOL! As a matter of fact that was just three weeks ago and we are already planing another trip there! To good times, great memories and fantastic moments! Thanks to the owners of Livingston Junction!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moosegirl08
Ketchum, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary in Caboose #3. It was truely a wonderful place to stay. The caboose has been restore and has everything you need for a wonderful stay very close to Eureka Springs. We loved the hot tub, deck, hammock and grill. We extended our stay one night as we were enjoying ourselves so much. You should not stay here if you are looking for a plush all service included place. We cooked our own meals and never saw or heard another person. Very secluded and relaxing. I would advise to not arrive after dark as it can be a bit hard to locate in the dark. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle and relax with a bit of history stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Memphis
Reviewed 21 April 2008

If you want to stay at a place like none other in Eureka Springs, this is it! They have three cabooses in a wooded area about two miles north of town, each done in its own theme. We stayed in the "Country Decor" one. All three have been restored and have full plumbing, electrical, and sewer drainage. The one flaw was the toilet room. It`s a bit cramped if you have to sit down, but with a bit of body english, you can manage after a few times. The kitchen is done up real nice with a microwave, mini-fridge, counter with sink, cabinets and small table with chairs. The shower stall is in a corner in the bedroom, which is in the back with a TV. The place was actually quite comfortable, with all kinds of train paraphenalia and books. There`s even a mini stereo with a CD that has train sounds on it! Outside is a large wood deck with a grill and hot tub. The cabooses are separated by woods so they can`t "see" each other, which makes it nice! I would recommend this place to anyone who is willing to be a bit adventerous and wants something different.

• Liked — Isolation, uniique accomodation
  • Disliked — The toilet room
  • Stayed June 2003, travelled as a couple
Hockley
Reviewed 26 June 2007

We have stayed in each caboose and they all are great. The hot tub was so relaxing (esp. with 25 degree temps and snowing!) The hammock is sooo comfy. Granted there may be a bug or two and the wall paper may be pealed in spots but you have to realize the caboose are CABOOSES and in SECLUCED WOODS. The temperature gets very cold n the winter and hot in the summer. The A/C & Heat are not on all the time. Therfore you will have things crack or peal if not in constant temps. If you read the info provided, it states the owners are not on premises. If an emergency--dial 911. Do people not read? Overall I have always had a AWESOME time when at Livingston Junction Cabooses and will be going back this Oct. and many more years to come.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ms.Tex
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 26 June 2005

I have been to Eureka Springs three times and love the town. We decided to try the cabooses instead of a Bed and Breakfast in town because we enjoy quiet surroundings. Our Caboose did provide that but much little more. The outdoor jacuzzi was clean and new but the caboose was dirty. I fought an urge to take a bucket of hot water and soap to it all weekend. My wife was more understanding than I. I thought we would immediately be spending the night somewhere else but she surprised me! The pro's - secluded, quiet, kitchenette, patio with jacuzzi and grill. I would have enjoyed a walkthrough for the historical value. Con's - tight squeeze(I'm 5' 7"), dirty, linoleum peeling in the bathroom, slight musty smell, spiders, t.v. has no reception.
For the price, you will be much happier in a B&B or even a Best Western.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank dedunbar
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 May 2003

My wife and I spent a weekend at one of the most interesting vacation spots we've ever experienced. The owner has remodeled three old railroad cabooses and set them up in the woods north of Eureka Springs. The site is well off the highway and very quiet and secluded. The cabooses are also far enough apart to insure individual privacy.Our caboose had been outfitted with a small kitchen and a comfortable bedroom. There also was a large deck and hot tub.The caboose was very clean and all of the furnishings were in good working order. We appreciated the country decor and nostalgic railroad items.There were some minuses though. We visited in the early spring and the owners were nowhere to be found. Fortunately we had no problems, but wouldn't have known where to find them if trouble had arisen. Also there are issues with caboose itself - you're living in a big metal box which heats up and cools down very rapidly so be prepared to switch frequently from heating to cooling in the spring and fall. Space is very limited - that's part of the experience, but don't expect lots of storage. Its okay for a weekend but I don't know that I could do a week there. Probably the worst feature is the bathroom. The caboose originally had a little toilet room somewhat smaller than the bathroom on a commercial airliner. You have a commode and a sink off to the side. I'm 5'8" and had to sit side saddle on the commode so that I could get the bathroom door to shut. I washed and shaved at the kitchen sink. There is a full size shower stall in one corner of the bedroom area so that works okay.The Livingston Junction Cabooses are not for everybody. If you're expecting a Hilton type room you're going to be disappointed but if you have a love of railroads, a sense of adventure, and the willingness to try something different you'll have a great time.

24 Thank DaveOK