“Loved The Stay”

Grand Central Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We stayed at the Grand Central on a girlfriends getaway and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The room was very comfortable. We did a spa package w/mass & facial which was just heavenly. We dined in the hotel dining room and this was the best filet mignon I have ever had. I have looked from L.A. to the midwest and this dinner w/bernaisse & crabmeat on top was exquisite. They have a nice wine selection as well. I could have just stayed at the motel the whole weekend and been a happy camper. I will be staying here in the future.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lindybell
There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Great location, good parking, friendy check-in. Public areas are nice but the room was disappointing. The carpet needs to be cleaned or replaced, walls needs paint, mildew in the bathroom. The kitchenette was a bonus, but there was a sign in the dishwasher that said "please do not use." Huh? The antiques in the rooms are great, but the rooms appear not to have been renovated since the 1970s. We will try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rangefree
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband and I checked in on a Friday night around 6:30 pm to a room on the 3rd floor and we immediately were required to pay for the total bill (2 nights), which I thought strange. We took our bags up the 2 flights of stairs (no elevators) to our room and were extremely disappointed. The room was $167 per night and so we never expected to have a room that smelled like dog pee literally, the carpet had not been vacuumed, the refrigerator had grime across the front, underneath the refrigerator was black dirt, the stove vent hood was very dusty, the chandelier in the bedroom had cobwebs and a light out, the bed spread had stains on it, the carpet was very stained, and the sofa didnt smell very well either. Thinking it might be just mustiness we went to the local Dollar General and bought a candle, air freshener, and Febreze after we went to a local restaurant to eat. We came back to our room around 9:00 pm and we tried to get rid of the smell but just couldnt take it so I went downstairs to check out. The attendant, I believe it was one of the owners, apologized but didn't offer to come and check the room out or reimburse us for our stay. We ended up paying $167 + tax ($189) for the night and checked in to the Best Western's Inn of the Ozarks which I HIGHLY recommend. My brother was holding a birthday party there at $45/person for 26 people and most of the guest stayed there, but I wasn't given a discount for that either. Anyway, I would not recommend the hotel, the smell was just horrible.

• Stayed: September 2009
5  Thank Baxgra
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I stayed here in 2005, and my wife and I decided to stay for Bluesfest this year. I was kind of surprised by some of the negative reviews because we had a great stay.

This hotel was THE place to be at the time when express trains ran from Chicago straight to Eureka Springs. It is just up the street from the train station. I'm a Motel 6 kind of guy when I travel myself, but this is a perfect place to bring your wife to if she likes old Victorian stuff.

I like this hotel, but mainly I like it because of the food (the restaurant is only open some nights of the week). When in Eureka Springs, we usually eat at DeVito's (another great restaurant), and I asked the owner of DeVito's what other good restaurants there are in town. He said that in his view, the Grand Taverne was hands down the best fine dining place in town. And it is. The owners Lynn and Linda are actively involved all evening, our server Amanda was great and her husband the bartender makes to-die-for Chocolatinis that we had for desert.

The second night we invited some friends in for dinner, they live in Eureka. They also thought that the food there is the best in town. At the Grand Taverne, the sauces maketh the food !

So in deciding whether to stay here, you have to ask what YOU consider to be value. A couple can easily spend $800 on a two-night stay and two great dinners. We were willing to spend that (and more), others may not. We thought we got great value.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank junglecat64
Reviewed 13 March 2009

Thought this hotel would be charming instead it was just old and in need of repair. The toilet seat wasn't connected. There wasn't anyone at the desk at checkout. When I called to talk to a manager about my unpleasant experience they were very rude and said lots of people like it there.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank goanywheretogether
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We went to the Grand Central for a weekend get-a-way. It was one of the hotels referred to us by the Chamber of Commerce. We certainly enjoyed our stay. It was historic, which we enjoyed. Our room was very nice, & in fact we had more than enough room. We were on the 2nd floor. There was not an elevator, which was not a problem for us.

During our stay, I had a massage & it was wonderful.

During our stay, we had a 'surprise" wedding, planned by my husband. The staff was wonderful in assisting him. We stayed for 3 nights & we were treated as if we were family.

The resturant was great. We ate the "special" each eveing, but the talopia was "tops"

Our only complaint was the the lack of snacks in the bar.

Would we return? Absolutely. We plan on returning in March for Bob's birthday. I'm looking forward to it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Doc_9
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We have been to Eureka Springs several times and always have a wonderful time but this trip was the best yet. The Grand Central is where we will always stay after this. My wife and I love historic hotels but have stayed in some awfully musty smelling rooms. Our suite smelled fresh and was very clean. Delightful! The Grand Taverne Restaurant was one of the finest places we have ever eaten and we have certainly dined in some fabulous restaurants in our travels. A big thanks to the great staff and we will see you our next trip. Chuck & Marla

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Tulsa_OKCharless