“Beautiful Heritage Property”

Palace Hotel & Bath House Spa
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This property dates back to the early 1900's. The rooms are very large with all amenities. Eureka Springs is quite small, therefore, everything is within walking distance. The room I had was on the main floor, situated close to the main desk. As I mentioned, very large and spacious - loved it! The service is very good. I was hoping to have a bath/message first thing in the morning and booked accordingly. However, because of the time of year, they have a skeleton crew and could not accommodate my 9AM request because it was booked too late the previous evening. They offer a breakfast (continental) served in your room. The room service is nice and the food/coffee is good - not outstanding. Overall, a pleasant experience in an interesting building.

Room Tip: It might be better to stay away from the front desk and the noise of guests leaving prior to you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Habmanfoody

Reviewed 8 December 2013

loved the decor, this is such a charming hotel. lovely place to stay and perfect location. i particularly enjoyed the tub, and had the best nights sleep in the beautiful bed! i found the staff really helpful with all our enquiries. we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diver C
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed at eight properties (and counting) in Eureka Springs and this ranks very near the top. The rooms, though few, are very large and comfortable. We enjoyed the time-period decor, and the bathroom and HUGE tub was certainly a highlight. The location is hard to beat, although be warned that if you check in at a busy time, parking will be scarce. The hotel's lot (only five spaces) was full, and there were no spots on the street during the day. Hard to fault The Palace for that, though. The staff was very helpful at the front desk, and although we didn't need anything during our short stay, you can tell that service is very important to them. In all, we were very pleased with our stay and I am sure as much as we visit Eureka Springs it won't be the last time we stay at The Palace.

Room Tip: Suites 1 and 2 are on the ground floor on the front of the building. Easy access, no stairs, but yo...
1  Thank Traveler4124
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We just returned from a short trip to Eureka Springs and LOVED our stay at the Palace Hotel and Bath House. While this is a very small hotel with only 8 rooms we were not disappointed. Your must understand before you go that this is a historical building built in 1901 and should not expect modern facilities and décor, the hotel has tried to stay true to the era. Each room is different, all are large and very charming. We stayed in room 7 and would highly recommend it, the room was huge, clean and the bed was the best (my husband even asked the front desk what the make was). The small touches such as the complimentary champagne with chilled glasses, cheese and crackers, stocked soda and water in the fridge, fresh flowers, fun folded towels and the in room continental breakfast (stunning presentation) made our stay perfect. The front desk was extremely helpful with any questions we had. We are looking forward to staying here again next year :)

2  Thank Catlady3399
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This small hotel is really more of a bed and breakfast. Staff are very helpful, and spa is good. Notice I did not say luxurious. The 80's renovation fell a bit short, in my opinion. However, most guests would not be as critical as I am (hotel design is my profession). The basics were very good: comfy bed and clean bathroom. Upholstery fabrics were tired, lighting was dim, coffee in the room was not the best, but the fridge was well stocked with drinks, cheese and champagne.
ThecPalace location cannot be beat, but parking is limited as it is throughout the town. There are 90 steps from the parking in back to the hotel entry. The overall stay was a good value.

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked the hotel because some friends suggested it; and stayed in Suite 1. The pros stated in these other reviews are right on the mark - continental breakfast, complimentary mini-bar with a fridge, beautiful antique furniture, robes, slippers, a make-up mirror, iron, plush towels and a huge room with a jacuzzi tub. Fresh flowers and prompt service for breakfast were also a plus! The manger/concierge who checked us in was polite and helpful with just the right touch. If you needed him or had a question, he graciously helped you, but if you didn't, you never knew he was around. You feel like you are miles away from everything, but it is a short block to the downtown area. Another plus is the area where the hotel is located is quiet, and you don't have to deal with noise from the cars and other people. Our room was right on the street, and we slept like babies. The only thing that awoke us was the street sweeper, which is normal with any town.

On the other hand, the lady who worked the afternoon/evening shift was overly intrusive/zealous with her attention. I know she is there to help you with whatever you need, but not to the point of swooping down on you every time you leave your room. In one instance three of us were discussing where to meet later ( two steps from my door) and she asked us to "sit on the couch in the lobby to continue our conversation" because we were blocking the door. We weren't, and there are only 8 suites in the hotel, so I doubt a mass influx of guests was expected in the few minutes we were talking. Besides that, we are adults and would have moved if the need had presented itself. She interjected into our conversation, suggesting things to do and insisting that one of my friends take an umbrella. I found this to be very rude. We couldn't go get ice without her grabbing the bucket and filling it up. Enough!

Parking is a hassle. If you don't luck out and get one of the free ones in front of the hotel, you have to park in the back and walk up several flights of stairs. We cruised the block for about 30 minutes until someone left, and then walked the rest of the weekend. But keep in mind, parking is a hassle everywhere in Eureka Springs, especially if there is some type of event/conference going on.

With all of that said, the Palace is worth it, and we will gladly go back again.

Room Tip: This is an old hotel. You can hear the people in the room above you walking on the floor, so I would...
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am well-acquainted with Eureka Springs and the unique and historic charm of the area. So when my husband recently suggested a weekend away on short notice I was thrilled that the Palace had a cancellation for the requested Saturday night.

The pros? Lovely and gracious staff. We had arrived in town earlier in the day and shopped and strolled. As a downpour was imminent, we called to see if early check-in would be available and were graciously welcomed even though housekeeping had to revisit the room to re-stock our glassware and the mini-fridge. Much appreciated.

I also appreciated the roomy feel of suite 4 and the comfortable mattress though the decor distinctly dated from the 1980's when the hotel was last renovated. The bath fixtures and wallpaper were overly tired and dated. Still, there were period furnishings and fresh flowers that added some charm. Sunday morning's in-room breakfast was also well-presented and quite adequate.

The cons??? Plumbing.

I was charmed at first by the "water hammer" effect of the hot water tap on the lavatory faucet chalking it up to the age of the building but the 30 year-old jacuzzi tub had a strange configuration with no shower but a hand-held and the diverter to that did NOT work. Turns out this was known by management, parts were on-hand but the repair not performed. A plastic resin had been applied which did not hold and the diverter button landed literally in hand. Ended up with NO alternative but a sponge-bath on Sunday morning before departure. It was pretty much a $200 camping trip with a softer mattress and some lovely fruit. Thanks, but no thanks.

When I relayed our experience at check-out I was calmly assured that SHOULD I decide to return, the matter would be addressed in the meantime. I had the distinct impression that a fool and her money were soon parted and my return business was not a priority. Not even a partial refund offer was extended.

Interestingly enough, one of the few negative reviews I read on this site has a reply from the same individual with whom I dealt in which he states, "I am not a plumber." I concur. And suggest the Palace avail itself of those professional services when needed.

Overall? Eureka was its usual charming self and we had an absolutely delightful trip. The Palace could be excellent with just a little more dedication and effort. We will not return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple