“Awesome camping fun every year!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Turpentine Creek Overnight Lodging
“Awesome camping fun every year!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We book one of the RV sites every year on the 4th of July andwe enjoy it more every year! We love the sounds of the animals at night and the access we get to the tours and views of the animals we get to see. Our camp site is always clean and the staff is always friendly! We love what you do so please keep up the good work!

• Stayed July 2014
scottesmith, Manager at Turpentine Creek Overnight Lodging, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
It's a very special place to visit and camp... and be so close to some of our beautiful cats. We're thrilled you come and spend July 4th with us each year. Guess we'll be seeing you again next year! Bonus! We appreciate your continued support. Take care.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was really excited for our stay of two nights in the Congo hut. We also reserved Tent site #1 (next to a couple tigers) for another party staying with us. The room was nice, but worn. The couch was not comfortable and had no support in the middle and sagged horribly. The expensive artwork lacked dusting, the patio door could have been wiped clean of fingerprints, and there was so much dirt under the couch that I swept it myself. The air conditioner had trouble cooling in our 90 degree heat. We couldn't use the hot tub because someone puked in it the previous evening. A couple staying in a hut near us decided it would be nice to play the bongos located in the room at 11:30 p.m. (The other party in Tent Site 1 was woke up to the banging also.) The good part of our stay was the beautiful cats, the interaction with wonderful and cat-caring staff, and our deck was awfully peaceful and beautiful to relax on.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms that are located near the compound. There are two rooms that are closer and not l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
scottesmith, Manager at Turpentine Creek Overnight Lodging, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
We certainly appreciate your helpful feedback regarding your stay in the Congo Safari lodge. We regret the room was not up to our usual standard and are making every effort to remedy the issues you've mentioned. With the Safari lodges being "adult only", one would think noisy neighbors would not be an issue. The bongos in the room are decorative and we've never had anyone use them and disturb our other guests. We are so sorry that happened. The hot tub is a wonderful amenity that so many of our guests enjoy, especially in the winter months. Unfortunately, one of our guests staying the night before managed to spill a beverage in it which resulted in having to temporarily put it out of order until maintenance could drain and clean it.
Again, we are listening and appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Refuge. We hope to see you again soon.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The unusual accommodations were very enjoyable. It has the feel of being on safari. The first thing I noticed as I walked barefoot through the room, was that the floor was very clean. The walls were made of paneled doors that were painted a deep red, and the ceiling was heavy draped canvass (heavy enough to block out light or there was something between the inner and outer canvass). Very nice artwork makes for a nice touch. There is a TV, but you probably won't use it much. The private balcony overlooks the mountain with a wonderful breeze and beautiful sunset. The room contains a microwave and mini-fridge that is stocked with some breakfast items. There is also a coffee maker with supplies. The double shower has (2) rain shower heads. The bathroom is pretty tight but sufficient. There is a large center pergola with a fire pit and hot tub. (Also provided are (2) nice white terrycloth robes in the room). We very much enjoyed the peaceful stay and the caroling of the lions at night. The only negative was that the air conditioner doesn't seem to cool as well as it should.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin that backs up to the Ozark Mountains for a wonderful view. We stayed in Kilimanjaro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We are thrilled you had a pleasant experience and hope to see you again real soon! You can keep up with what's going on at the Refuge by 'like'ing us on Facebook. Thank you for your support!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A trip to Turpentine isn't complete without an overnight stay. After an awesome tour, settled into the Congo Lodge. Beautiful unique room with all the amenities necessary - private balcony overlooking the beautiful Ozarks. Laurie at Turpentine stopped by to make sure we were happy and set (which we were!). We had stopped for a local bottle of wine and enjoyed the sunset our balcony and listened to tigers and lions sing :) Can't wait to try all the other lodges and tree house at Turpentine - maybe return in the fall to enjoy the fire pit and hot tub. Also, your room fee is all inclusive and coffee and breakfast - all goes to support this great organization

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
We're thrilled to hear you had such an amazing time at our Refuge! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Fall is a fantastic time to visit again. The amazing view from any of the Safari balconies will be lined with gorgeous colors of the season. It truly is a unique place to visit and enjoy Lodging on the Wild Side! Let us know if we can help book your next stay.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I always reference reviews but I feel like this time they led me astray. We checked into the treehouse room and checked out 3 hours later. Upon entering the room we noticed several holes around the lower areas of the walls. I realized this could lead to a major pest issue but I didn't see any so I tried to let it slide. We unloaded our stuff and when trying to put our food in the fridge I noticed it was not cold and looked like it had not been wiped clean in years. The seal around the fridge was torn and allowing the cold air to escape (again I tried to let it slide). I noticed a red stain on the bathroom sink counter that looked a lot like blood (again I tried to let it slide). I tried to shower after my 6 hour drive and the water coming out the shower smelled of sewage. The water in the bathroom sink and kitchen sink did not have this smell so I was even more concerned this was sewer water I tried to shower in (again tried to let it slide). My partner then screamed and I heard a show slamming against the floor. She killed a large black hairy spider in the living room area....not letting anything else slide.....time to go. I go to the front desk and was told that maintenance was off for the holiday weekend (another bad sign). I was told the long legged black spiders are harmless but there are some short legged black spiders that are (am I supposed to stop the spiders and measure their legs before they bite me?) As we were a great distance from any medical help should one of use be bitten by a spider (and my spouse has medical conditions which could be extremely aggravated but a spider bite). I felt it was best to check out. I was told I would receive a full refund when the manager arrived to clear it so we drove the 6 hours back home on July 4th and arrived home at 1:30 am July 5th. No fireworks, no hot dogs, no beer all day for me :( I wake up sore, tired, groggy at 11:30 am to an email saying that only 1 night is being refunded to me (the night I checked out on but not the next night that I had to pay for in order to reserve the weekend). I call the lodge and am told that since they possibly missed out on renting to someone else (someone else sure was lucky) that I now only get 1 night refunded. I hung up and called my credit card to file a dispute (gave the credit card dispute rep quite an interesting story and probably a laugh with her coworkers afterward). Now I'm still tired, upset, hungry, and I call the lodge again asking can I escalate this issue to anybody as I felt the room was unsafe and unoccupiable (my new word). I was told by Lori (a manager) that she was in my room right before me and didn't see any spiders (because spiders are supposed to announce and present themselves to any new guests?) That the treehouse implies we are next to trees and spiders like trees (so I apparently was supposed to research spider habitat preferences before I went). I was told the VP would be contacted and I would receive a response. A few hours later I receive another email that I am being credited the full amount back to my card. I am overwhelmed with joy but a bit disturbed by the conversation I had with the lodge worker I spoke with that called to let me know about me refund. She said she was sorry but their #1 concern is their cats and they miss out when someone else could have rented the room for the weekend. I am all about animals and I understand the cats are there because they were rescued from bad situations. I do have a problem when it appears that the cats there are in much better accommodations than I am expected to live in for a holiday weekend.I support their cause and wish the best for the animals, but I definitely feel like they should not offer lodging since lodge guest are not to be made a priority.

Room Tip: Research spider habitat preferences, spiders may or may not announce their presence and introduce th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank axdel
It is with our sincerest apology that you had an unpleasant experience in the Tree House. Our property gets treated regularly for pests but still very unfortunate that you had to deal with spiders in your room. We have taken your comments seriously and will be making improvements to the Tree House next month, to ensure future guests aren't met with a similar experience. We want all our guests to come and enjoy the beauty of the Ozark Mountains, understand our mission and enjoy seeing our big, beautiful cats. We regret you felt the need to leave but feel we have done the right thing by refunding your reservation in full. We hope you accept our apology. Thank you.
Mamou, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Certainly no better than average accommodations. That being said, the work done at this unique place is spectacular. Yes, it is true...Big cats and other animals right outside your doorstep. A really fun place for the kids who enjoyed it tremendously. Would certainly recommend, but be aware that accommodations are not hotel quality.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Your feedback is very important to us. Our lodging is very unique and you're right, we aren't a hotel. It's an experience unlike any other and we strive to make it an enjoyable one for all of our guests. We hope you continue to support our cause and come back and stay with us again one day soon. Thank you so much!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The opportunity to stay at wildlife refugee with lions and tigers and leopards right here in America (think safari without having to fly all the way to Africa) is a gift. Before I went to bed I sat out on the porch of room in the pitch darkness of the night and listened to the sounds coming from the mouths of the magnificent creatures. I woke at dawn at went out to spend time with Pebbles, the tiger who slept right outside our door. This is not something you can do just anytime or anywhere. There are only a few cabins here, so the place is quiet. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. If you are on the fence about going, take my advice. Go!

Room Tip: We stayed in "siberia." Pebbles the tiger was right outside our window! No pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
A trip to Turpentine Creek isn't complete without an overnight stay! It truly is like being in Africa! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience and look forward to having you visit again one day real soon! Thank you for your support!