“Historic Hotel in Eureka Springs...”

1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Crowley, Louisiana
“Historic Hotel in Eureka Springs...”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

While vacationing in Eureka Springs, Arkansas I was having coffee at a local coffee shop and I overheard the young couple next to my booth talking to another couple about this historic hotel that they were staying at and that it was haunted... That peaked my interest so off to the Crescent Hotel I go... As I am parking my motorcycle the gardeners are all over the front of the Hotel making it look good... One of them makes conversation with me and quickly informs me of the viewing deck on top of the hotel... I did not stay at this hotel, I only rated what I saw because I only stopped in to see the Historic Hotel... I had heard that it has a ghost tour and exceptional views from the roof top viewing deck... So I make my way to the two 12' doors to the entrance of this hotel and step back into time in the lobby... The historic front desk is large as the picture will show you... The staff very friendly asked if they could help me so I told them my story and they encouraged me to take a look around as I did... Well it was not a day for the ghost tour so I started to check out the lobby... The pictures show two great sitting areas in the lobby... But the thing that makes you step back and stare at is the very masive fireplace right in the middle of the lobby... I proceed to the rooftop to check out the viewing deck... As I assend the four flights of stairs the old stairwell is historically decorated and the long hallways show all the historic beauty of this hotel... As you step out the door of the viewing deck you are greeted with a very exceptional view of the area across the way... This hotel would be an interestering stop for anyone touring the area...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
macdevelopment, Manager at 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit that included the history and view. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit when we hope you stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2012

In 30 years of travel my wife and I have never seen or experienced anything on this level. Any reviewers who gave this place 3, 4 or 5 stars have to be fake or have never stayed at anything but a Motel 6. Let's start with the staff. Indifferent and uncaring at best. Most look like they'd rather be doing anything, including undergoing torture, than be working at this place. The food at the morning buffet was abysmal and tasteless though some in our party did say that the guy making omelette's did a pretty good job. I finally settled on toast and cold cereal.
This is a 4 floor hotel with no functioning elevator. Of course the hotel never bothered to tell anyone in our party (and we had elderly people in our group) prior to our arrival that the elevator wasn't working. This has apparently been the case for weeks (months?). The noise factor is comparable to a college dorm. Large groups of people taking ghost tours traipse up and down the halls nightly. I did not see one sprinkler system in any part of the hotel and certainly not in any guest rooms. Is that even legal? The shower heads are set about 5 feet high and the bathrooms are the size of a tiny closet. The hotel is dank, musty, drafty and feels as if it were last thoroughly cleaned 10 years ago. The furniture is something your grandmother got rid of in a garage sale 60 years ago. Do you like cats? Well there are two of them roaming about the hotel. It must be the only pest control the Crescent can afford. The price for a room is so laughably absurd (+$200 night) you might as well just drive down the road and pitch a few hundred dollars out the window and keep on going. Trust the bad reviews on Tripadvisor and stay far, far away. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank mpg75
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay. Our elevator is currently being completely replaced for your safety and convenience in the near future. We look forward to seeing you in the future in hopes to approve your opinion.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 October 2012

One reviewer wrote that this was the first time and the last time she stayed at this hotel. I couldn't agree more. I cannot remember the last hotel review I wrote but this one needed to be written. This room and hotel were insanely overpriced for the quality of our stay. The lobby was very charming and I enjoyed the company of the hotel cats. That is where my enjoyment ended. The room itself was nice, we had a king sized bed and access to a shared balcony. The view from the balcony was lovely. When the hotel called to confirm our reservation they did tell us the elevator was being repaired and asked if stairs were a problem (we stayed on the 3rd floor). What they didn't tell us was that the room they gave us was under Dr. Baker’s Sky Bar. In a modern building this would not matter as much. In an old building it meant that it sounded like the ceiling was going to fall down; this lasted until roughly until 2am. There was an overhead light fixture in our room that rattled and banged with every step someone took in the Sky Bar. I should not have to request to have my room changed; your staff know which rooms under the Sky Bar, you know it is loud. You tell your guests when they check in and allow them to make the decision about staying there. The rooms are heated and cooled via window units. I do not know if they are all like this but in our room was the loudest window unit I have ever heard; perhaps it was haunted. It came on every 10-15 minutes, waking me every time. I finally shut it off and just huddled under the covers as the temps were in the 40s. The bathroom had a tub with jets but the room was clearly not designed to accommodate a bathtub of this size and frankly the jets looked none too clean; I stuck to showers. The towels were scratchy and the hotel products minimal for a place that boasts a spa. The commode was jammed into a corner and my husband remarked he had to hang onto the wall to make use of it. I am 5’4” and my knees touched the wall when I used it. The dining room was closed as a wedding was scheduled; again, that was something that someone could have shared with us when we checked in. We made reservations for brunch and one of the concierges provided us with a map and some places to try for dinner. After a sleepless night we went downstairs for our 9am brunch reservations. After being seated that was the last time anyone spoke to us. Our brunch tickets said that the cost of the tickets do not cover a gratuity to the wait staff. Are you kidding me? What wait staff? I got coffee for us twice, I literally walked up to the coffee pots (they were not part of the buffet but were in the area used by servers) and poured our own coffee; we were there for 50 minutes and not until we were ready to leave did one person come by and ask us if we wanted a warmup on our coffee. Not a single person asked us if we had everything we needed, if the food was ok, etc. When I was holding the strawberry under the chocolate fountain, one woman who worked in the dining room did tell me I was doing this incorrectly. That was the sole individual attention we received. Our table appeared to not have been assigned to any wait staff but there were two men in suits walking around with water pitchers and coffee pots offering refills to everyone. Not until we were ready to leave did one of them offer us the aforementioned “warmup” on our coffee. Maybe we are invisible because we are ghosts and don’t realize it!!! The best parts of the brunch were 1) the made to order omelets, that guy did a great job, and 2) the singer/guitar player, who had the sweetest voice imaginable. After we finished breakfast we waited 10 minutes for someone to come by and take our brunch tickets. We finally just gave them to the hostess as we left. Ten minutes later we checked out of the hotel. We went to the front desk and these were the parting words of the desk clerk: “I will take the keys, the receipt is for you to keep.” And she vanished. I expected something like “I hope you had a pleasant stay” “was everything to your satisfaction” etc. I still cannot believe that clerk did not say "thank you," I just can’t. I received more attention from the cats than I did from the staff at this hotel. In contrast was our stay the night before at a value hotel in Seymour, MO. The rooms were pleasant and they had a very nice continental breakfast the next morning. We paid $78 including tax for that hotel. The Crescent Hotel including brunch, taxes, and fees was over $300. A few minor items that were somewhat amusing: The walls throughout the hotel were covered in framed posters. Yes, posters. It was like someone ran to Michael's and tried to find prints of art from the time period of the hotel. How about some local art? Saturday evening the hotel was also full of ghost hunters. One woman actually pressed her e-meter against my husband and asked if he was a ghost because her e-meter was going off. The scary part was I think she was serious. I apologized to the ghosts in the hotel for the rampant commercialism and the disrespectful ghost hunters. Overall, I found it telling that not a single person who worked there looked happy with the exception of the woman who ran the gift shop and the singer at brunch. Everyone else looked overworked and miserable. This was our first time in Eureka Springs and we loved the town and the mountains but never ever again will we stay at the Crescent Hotel.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms with balcony are under the Sky Bar. They are very very loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aimee S
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay. We hope that you return in the near future so we can improve your opinion all around. Thank you again for your review.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband & I stayed here for our anniversary. We were given the wrong room (it was given to the couple in line before us) we saw a glimpse of their room across the hall from us & it was much nicer than the room we had, the room the other couple was supposed to get was the one we ended up getting. The bar was the only happening place in the whole building & they close early. There isn't really anything to do at the hotel at all. I wasn't impressed with their restaurant either. The property is quite beautiful though & I enjoyed the history of the place. We did the ghost tour & it was ok. I found more evidence & spooky things when my husband & me went off on our own to investigate. A chair flew off of a table on it's own on the outdoor bar balcony. I did get a picture of an apparition in a window of the restaurant. There is a creepy vibe to the place & I did find it uncomfortable to breathe in the basement (morgue) during the ghost tour. It was a neat place to visit, but I would not stay here & pay the price of a room here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McTravelDoodle
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay. Sorry for the room mix up for no two rooms in the hotel are alike. We are glad that you enjoyed the restaurant and ghost tour. We look forward to seeing you in the near future in hopes to approve your opinion about all of our amenities.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Best location in Eureka Springs and the outside of the hotel is beautiful. However, this has to be the nastiest place I have ever stayed in. Small rooms, lumpy bed, dilapidated bathroom with loose tiles, cheap Kleenx, stained furniture and absolutely no ability to manage water temperature. I brought a fancy dress for a romantic dinner and couldn't even shave my legs because the water temperature, all by itself, vacillated between freezing cold and scalding hot. I doubt there are any ghosts here but if there are, they're screwing with the hot water tank. We even paid extra for a balcony room and that was even more disappointing with broken outdoor furniture and bird droppings galore. By the way, don't let them fool you into thinking that they are doing you a favor by giving you free brunch vouchers. The food was the worst and I swear, even the toast was bad. DO NOT STAY HERE! Trust me, you would be better off getting a tent and peeing in the woods....and you wouldn't be out $275.

Room Tip: Don't you dare pick any room in this place!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TSCinOKC
macdevelopment, Manager at 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay. We look forward to improving your opinion in the near future on your next visit.
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I don't think even ghost would stay in this hotel. The elevator was out of order and our room was on the fourth floor. Lugging bags up and down was not fun. Our room was leaning inward, no hot water in the shower and the pillows were the size of footballs. Need I continue. Very dissatisfied. The only good experience I had was in the spa....the facial was nice. However, Mary told our party that we would get a 20% discount, but the spa would not honor any discount. I hope the ghost are happier than we were.

Stayed September 2012
5 Thank jlatkins55
Thank you for your review. We apologize for an inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay. We are sorry that the elevator is being replaced for your safety and convenience in the near future. We are staffing extra bellman that would happily carry any luggage for you that is needed. The piping is antique here and does cause problems at times and I am sorry about that. We are glad that you enjoyed your spa visit and we apologize for the miscommunication with the discount. We look forward to improving your opinion on your next visit.
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was my first time and probally last time to stay at the hotel. The room was pleasant but for $250 a night it was not worth it. I understand that it is old and maintenance is being done, but there was nothing about the stay that was enjoyable. We ate in the dinning room for dinner and the food was not good. It cost $70 for my husband and myself and we felt really taken after the meal. The prime rib was cold and the rest was no more then packaged or canned food. (atleast that is what it tasted like) After main course we were not interested in dessert.
We tried to book a ghost tour but there were none available by the time we tried, so that was a let down. Other then climbing the stairs the entire time to and from our room, outside, and the 4th floor there was nothing else to do. Even in the lounge you had to be put on a list to go on the balcony.
The hotel needs a little TLC, but most of all a better cleaning crew and cooking staff. This I believe could be such a great place with better management. It being the ghost hotel is the only thing I can say I was impressed by.

Room Tip: The king room with a view of the mountain was beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beth P
macdevelopment, Manager at 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay. Your review is noted and will be taken further. I am sorry the ghost tour was sold out for it is our busy season. As for things to do, on your next stay you should look into the resort activities that are offered for free to all guest three times a day. We also provide a shuttle service for a hassle free ride to more surrounding attractions. We hope that you will return soon in hopes that we can improve your opinion.