“Who needs a bus when you're so close to the downtown action!”

1905 Basin Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed at the Basin Park Hotel in Eureka Springs during Volkswagen Weekend and really enjoyed the downtown access and Basin Park area just next door.

Our room number was 315 a “Jacuzzi Suite” and the Jacuzzi was nice after a long day! Our room was clean, and the AC worked great to cool off as it was very hot weekend.
Like other reviews have mentioned parking is a little awkward in that it is quite a distance from the hotel, however this was fine for us as we enjoyed the walking. If you prefer, the hotel has a shuttle van that will pick you up at the parking lot and take you back when needed.
We parked our car Friday night and didn’t even need in until we left on Sunday since everything is within walking distance to the shopping and entertainment. The only thing I would stress is that the parking lot is Gravel and is very dusty, so if you just washed your car, plan on another wash up.
Basin Park Hotel is an old historic hotel so the walls and floors, are a little noisy, but hey that’s part of what to expect in an old hotel. The staff was very friendly, the bellman was polite, and the hotel has a nice restaurant on the 1st floor that was fun to watch the crowd & VW’s below.
I would recommend this hotel, and add that you should find out if your room has a nice view as well. Our room was in the rear of the hotel and did not have a view…other than of the roof of the building next door and the rocks in back.
I also would recommend the stairs as the elevator is slow and HOT! The stairs are easy and short and sometimes just as fast.
One other note is to checkout the local guides to see what is happening in town, or online before you go, we were pleasantly surprised to find a great little concert in the Basin Park by a local artist Mountain Sprout and really enjoyed the show only steps away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Tip: Ask about the rooms view first!
3  Thank TheDeadVWBus
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Thank you for your comments. Sounds like you had a great stay downtown. The hotel's location is a perfect spot if you want to step outside the hotel doors to shopping, dining, and live entertainment. Hope you choose to visit us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed at the Basin Park the weekend of the recent Bluegrass Festival. The festival was held in Basin Park adjacent to the hotel so the location was very convenient. We watched some of the performers from the Balcony Bar in the hotel, then went to the park to enjoy the rest. It was great being right downtown as well. The hotel is packed with history and was built in 1905, so don't expect new and shiny. It was clean, the staff was very accommodating, the room had a comfy bed and the Jaccuzi was wonderful. They provide a shuttle service to and from the local restaurants, so you can enjoy drinks with dinner without having to be concerned about the drive back to the hotel. There were young couples asking for rooms on Saturday night, but they were all booked up. I think a wedding party was staying there. Lots of handsome young men in tuxes and pretty girls in bridesmaid dresses.
We enjoyed our stay at The Basin Park. (No ghosts in our room!)

Reviewed 14 August 2011

I think they try very hard to keep the history and authenticity of the hotel intact. We booked online not knowing what room we'd get and ended up in the Joe Parkhill Suite. I had viewed the suites online and was interested in that room, but didn't think we could afford it. Once we checked in, they told us we were booked into that suite! I was so excited! The room itself was nice, but it's an old hotel and new carpet would've helped out tremendously. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, but being an older hotel, the walls were thin and you could hear people in the lobby and also walking around up above you. Sometimes it was very loud. With it being an older hotel, you have to expect some inconveniences of that nature. But the history, charm, and location of the building more than make up for it. Just be aware of this before you go. If you like ultra modern, etc, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you're a history buff or in to atmosphere... you will love it!

Reviewed 7 August 2011

If you are looking for a modern, snappy kind of place, this is not for you. However if you are looking for romantic charm with a warm feel, Basin Park is perfect!!

My husband and I had our wedding reception here almost 4 years ago and stay here every chance we get. It is a place dear to our hearts We love the king Jacuzzi room which has a large jacuzzi in a corner window where you can relax and look out over the town. The staff are wonderful and very accommodating. We actually planned an anniversary trip for our 1st anniversary. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but on our second day we had an emergency and had to leave. The staff was very understanding and did not charge us for our subsequent nights.

I would recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed: October 2010
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Thank you for continuing to stay with us. We appreciate you choosing to stay in a historic hotel on your anniversary.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a very old hotel and the parking is not great but it was such a nice, quaint hotel. The rooms were clean, bedding was crisp and clean, and the air conditioner, while a window unit, was able to keep up with the hot, muggy summer temps. I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My sister chose this hotel to have her wedding reception so we all booked rooms to make it convenient and close. I loved the old feel of the hotel. With so many of us staying there, I was able to look inside several of the rooms. Each was different but very charming in its own way. I knew the history of the hotel so I didn't expect to have modern ammenities. The suites and larger rooms were really awesome!!!! If I visit Eureka Springs again, I will chose the same hotel. The location is perfect and the hotel staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Zetatip

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy your sister chose to have her wedding with us. It's a great location to be in the heart of downtown where shopping, dining and nightlife are just footsteps out the front door of the hotel. Hope you come back to visit us.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

1 star ONLY because of the location.
This is the worst experience we have had in a hotel EVER.
Bad customer service. Lies and uninformative staff.
Room - things do not work properly.
Cost - not what was advertised and had no clue. Charged us more than what was supposed to be.

We expected old decor being 1905 . But we never expected the experience we did.

I reserved via the phone, finding it through Hotels.com. Online, it said 72.00. The guy wanted to know where saw this. I explained it to him. He said he didn't know anything about it. Did not even know what the website was. I had to spell it out for him over the phone.
Advertise but not honor? The Basin Park's OWN website says 79.00 for the room that we reserved.

I told the guy we wanted the highest floor in order to have a view. He said that he would put us on the 5th . Great! I thought. He says we can't check in until 3 in order to prepare our room. We get there and try to check in. He says OOPS, He messed up and that the 5th floor is completely off limits due to construction or maintenance. But he will upgrade us!! He will give us a queen with a jacuzzi on the 4th. We are thinking this is good. He hands the keys over and off we go.
So, we climb into an elevator that is the size of a phone booth and has no air in it. It takes literally 5 minutes to climb the floors. We go up to the 4th floor (never examining our key). We get off on the 4th floor to find our room. Hubby looks at the key and sees that it is the 200's. The guy told us it was the 4th! So back in the shoe box and down 2 floors. We step out and directly in front of the elevator is a desk &na lady sitting behind it. We ask her if she can direct us to where our room number is. She waves her and and says "Oh, down there somewhere" and points to the side. We start off and low and behold! our room is like 30 feet from her chair!
We finally get the ancient lock undone and step into the hot box. The room is the oddest I have ever seen. A small room not much bigger than the bed in the center. a tiny television older than me.
On one side of the room is a door. we open it to find a toilet, sink and a high step up to a shower/tub. On the other side of the room is another door. We open it to find a toilet and a tub.
We turn on the A/C and hurry down to get our car moved so we don't get a ticket. (you are allowed 15 minutes to unload). In the lobby the guy never says a word to us. We ask him where the parking lot is, He explains and we get our parking hang tag and go. We finally find the lot.
We park the car and walk back to the hotel. It is only about 5 blocks but is ALL uphill and stairs straight up. It is 100+ degrees mind you.
By the time we get back to the hotel, we are dripping with sweat. We go up to our room to find that the room is not very cool. We turn it up all the way.
While it is cooling the room, we decide to explore. We go up the 6th floor. Wow what a view. Then, we decide it is faster to walk down the stairs than to wait on the ancient, slow elevator. We go down one floor and see that there are no signs stating the construction or maintenance so, we go to look out the windows at the end of the hall. We hear televisions coming from the rooms as we walk the hall. We are heading back to the stairs and hear a man and woman talking. They round the corner just as we walk down the stairs.

Remember, this is the 5th floor that he said we couldn't stay on after all since it was "off limits".

I think it would be nice to use the jacuzzi. So I fill the tub. I try to use the shower wand that is for rinsing hair. It does not work.
I then try to check my internet things. The internet does not work. I call down and find that there is a password required. I try it. It still doesn't work.
I spoke to the guy at the front desk and he simply tells me "yeah, we have been having some issues with the internet lately" (as he is typing away on his computer). I ask him about the shower hand wand and how I cannot get it to work. He just looked at me and then asked what was i talking about. I explained it is used to wash and rince your hair and is attached to the tub. He said he didn't know anything about it and couldn't tell me.
We go back to the room and try it again. I find out that all they need to do is reset the router. I call down to explain this and am told that he will get to it when he can.

finally, after 5 hours we get internet. for about 90 seconds.

We go to bed. Turn off the lights to find that it is like daylight in our room. There are two windows in our room. We look out the windows and there is a spotlight pointed at each window!
I woke at 4 a.m. and thought it was daytime.

Morning came and we couldnt get out of that place fast enough. Before we could even get dressed, a paper was slipped under our door. It was our checkout receipt. We were charged 10.00 more than what the advertisement online said.

We pack up, go down and the guys sees us and says he will call the shuttle. He asks how the room was. I told him of the spot lights and how it ruined our sleep. he said that he didn't know anything about the lights and has never heard of anyone saying anything.

The driver asks us if we took the shuttle to the Crescent to use the pool. we didn't know we could.
He said that we could have used the hot tub at the hotel too. We didn't know that there was one. Was never told this.
He said they would have take us to any of the restaurants the night before. Again, we werent told that. We ended up having to eat in the Balcony restaurant. It was good food mind you and the staff was very nice up there but my gosh. It cost us 40+ dollars for 2 hamburgers 1 order of fries, 1 cola, 1 water and 2 daiquiris.

Very disappointed in this hotel. For years we have went to Eureka Springs and always thought that it would be neat to stay at the Basin. It was our anniversary and thought it would be a nice experience.
We were never more disappointed with a hotel than we were with this one.

For the record, we never saw one employee other than the front desk guy and the shuttle driver the next day. Where are all the people that work there?

Being 100 degrees it woud have been nice to know we could go swimming if we chose to do so and would have a way to get there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple