“Not a great experience in may respects!”

1905 Basin Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Basin Park Hotel on a couple of occassions, most recently July 8, 2014. We had a king room on the 3rd floor this visit. While I appreciate that this is a historic hotel, it is in DIRE need of maintenance and updates. We could see daylight around our door; the bathroom sink was stained and had no stopper; we could hear EVERYTHING going on around our room; the room was so small that the king bed took up almost every square inch of the space.

This hotel allows pets; don't get me wrong, I am a dog lover (have one of my own)! At some point in the night, guests a few doors down had barking dogs (yes - plural). Very disruptive.

Upon check-in, I asked for a AAA discount...was told the hotel honors AAA. WRONG - we were staying during the week (Tuesday night). The rate was $112.26 with tax, which I was told is the best rate. CERTAINLY not worth that given the condition.

Then there was dinner in the hotel restaurant. I have the utmost respect for wait staff and am a generous tipper for good/great service. This was amongst the worst dinner experiences I've ever had. The waitress appeared completely strung out...from waiting on a mixed drink for 20 minutes, to waiting on salads for 35 minutes (mine came after 25 minutes; my husband's came 10 minutes later after asking TWICE). I understand busy restaurants mean a wait, but they weren't busy. The meal was average at best. I asked to speak to the manager on duty, who offered to discount 20% on our $41 ticket. I refused and he offered a 50% discount which I settled with. Spoke the next morning to fellow guests who were also dissatisfied with the service they received at the bar/restaurant.

What I want management to understand is there are MANY, MANY hotel options in Eureka Springs....the historic character of the hotel is not enough to lure me back nor to recommend the Basin Park Hotel. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Room Tip: Folks - ask to see a room before unpacking your belongings.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa H
1905manager1886, Front Office Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to keep the building in good condition which is challenging due to it being 109 years old. The comments about your restaurant experience will be passed on to the Food and Beverage manager. We apologize once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The star rating is for overall hotel experience, if it was based on the room it would be much lower (explained below). We stayed one night in the balcony suite. The front desk was great - we arrived at 1 so we expected that the room would not be ready (we did not call ahead to say we'd be there early). It wasn't, but they took all of our luggage, had housekeeping prioritize our room, and I was happily surprised when less than 20 min later they called me on my cell to let me know the room was ready! The room was nice, a little quirky! It is part of the charm of old hotels, difficult to create large rooms, so the layout is unique! In all honesty, I have only one complaint (that would only apply to this room) but for us it was a major problem and almost ruined the hotel stay for us - the balcony (which is nice and large) has a smaller balcony attached to it and people were out smoking on it almost every time we went outside (they are literally next to you)...basically this meant we never could use the balcony or keep that door open, which really was disappointing (since we couldn't enjoy the outside at all it was also not worth the money)...I am from CA where they'd never let someone smoke on property, but I know that isn't the case everywhere so I am not sure I can really blame the hotel (I did not say anything, assume they can't force others out!)...but because of the great location, staff, and interior room quality, we would consider staying again, just in a different suite next time.

Stayed: July 2014

It sounds like you enjoyed your stay aside from the smokers in the room next to you. I'm not sure what the laws on smoking are in California but in Arkansas there is no law preventing smoking outside. We're sorry this disturbed you but there's nothing we could do about the situation or we would have. We hope you will still return to stay with us in the future. Try out the Sunroom Suite next time you're in the area. I assure you that you will not be disappointed or affected by smokers.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed 2 nights in the 1905 Basin Park Hotel and loved my experience. The hotel has a old west feel but is updated at the same time. The room I stayed in was a king and it was very nice and I loved the smell and colors chosen for room. The only problem I experienced was the sink did not drain well and the bathroom could use an update and there were some noisy neighbors. We took a Ghost Tour with Miss Meg and she was very entertaining. The hotel is right in the heart of the historic district and we loved the convienence of the hotel. The parking was tricky due to parking lot being a little way from the hotel, however the hotel offers shuttle service from the lot. My family would try to get a metered parking spot whenever possible that was close since the meters only need feed until 5pm. We loved the hot tub area and the Spa area. The staff was very nice and placed towels in front of the door to the hot tub area so me and the children did not slip and fall. The hotel backs up to the mountain so it is really neat. We had no ghost stories to tell but there have been many ghost experiences in the hotel. We will definately go back!

Room Tip: Get a King!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tratho25
1905manager1886, Front Office Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again next time you return to Eureka Springs.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We loved staying here and it made our 1st wedding anniversary absolutely perfect! Staff was super friendly. Room was very clean. Comfy bed (which is unusual at most hotels). Free shuttle is the way to go! We will definitely stay here again!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brooke C
1905manager1886, Front Office Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you return to Eureka Springs.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This place has real door keys. Old heavy metal. The king size room was nice. The bathroom is small but the shower is HUGE. We stayed two nights and did not see any ghosts. I knew the hotel was haunted and old. The room we stayed in was suppose to be one of the most haunted rooms in the hotel. That was a nice surprise. The beds are comfortable. Even though it does not have central heat and air the room stayed at a good temperature. I would love to go back and stay again. The elevator is the original from 1905. It has been updated. The front desk people are so nice and helpful. Any question we had they answered with a smile.

Room Tip: Third floor is suppose to haunted.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It sounds like you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future when you return to Eureka Springs.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight for a girls' trip. The parking and shuttle was easy. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Food and drink in the restaurant/ bar were reasonable and delicious. The bartender was very sweet to two old ladies. The room was clean with good linens and plenty if towels. We loved the ambiance of the room. After we checked out, they even kept our bags while we shopped. We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: June 2014

We're glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Eureka Springs.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel because of the deal we got, the Paranormal Pair Package; it included 2 ghost tours, 2 coffee cups, and 2 t-shirts. While we didn't see any paranormal activity, we did have good quiet sleeping, friendly and helpful employees, and a good time overall. I wish we'd gotten the chance to partake in the spa, but most things shut down early in ES, and getting back from doing other things prevented that; the same person owns this hotel and the 1886 Crescent Hotel, which is where I'd like to stay next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We're glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Stop by and visit us again when you return to Eureka Springs to stay at the Crescent Hotel.