“Scary and cold”

Chateau de Saint-Loup
London, United Kingdom
“Scary and cold”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We arrived at the chateau to a very unfriendly" we don't usually let guests in until 3 pm but you can come in". We had only arrived early as it was cold and very wet. The owner came to the gate to let us in and another couple arrived who got his attention and he disappeared with them. We were left wondering, in the rain where we should go. He reappeared 5 minutes later saying there was no room in the keep so we had been upgraded to the chateau. It is a very imposing building. We were taken inside and after going around corridors and up flights of stairs we arrived in the blue room. The building was freezing cold but the room was warm. It was very attractive but rather shabby. We were given the locking up time and asked what time we wanted breakfast and then left. We appeared to be the only guests in this huge creepy building. We went out and on our return we found walking through the chateau very creepy. We got to our room and discovered it had loads of bugs walking and flying around. They bothered us all night. The bed was the most uncomfortable one I have ever slept, or actually not slept in as sleep was impossible with the bugs. There were no keys for the door and so we had to put a chair against it for security. At breakfast next morning I mentioned the bugs and were told that always happens when the heating is first put on. It only lasts a few days but they will come and clear them. Breakfast was poor, in a country famous for cheese to give guests only baby bell for the cheese is a bit poor. The hot chocolate had no flavour, not nice. When we returned in the evening the bugs were still there. Sophie did come twice to Hoover them up but more just came. I don't think that rooms should be let if infested with bugs. We found out from other guests that there was a lounge in the keep with tv and was lovely and warm, we were not told of this. I think comfort should not be compromised, the rooms although authentic should have comfortable beds and no bugs. I was very disappointed with this chateau. Others might like the authentic going back in time experience but it is not for me.

Room Tip: If your not in the keep don't go.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ovine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Carcassonne
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Our recent stay at Chateau de Saint Loup has become the highlight of our holiday. We were greeted with great warmth and hospitality as soon as we arrived in the car park which continued until our departure which made our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The enthusiasm and passion of our hosts was infectious.

The castle itself is a superb example of medieval history, having been lovingly restored to give an authentic feel of this period. The castle grounds include an orangerie, pavilion, a moat and canal and a private wood.

5 stars - I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicole_gajewski26
Ottawa
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We enjoyed our three day stay at the Chateau St Loup.

We had a large comfortable room at the top of the “dungeon”, a renovated tower where an English king once imprisoned one of his enemies.

Other rooms are in the large renaissance-era chateau, which is slowly being renovated as revenues are put towards restoring the building and expanding the number of rooms.

If you have children, tell them to pack their princess and knight costumes as they are staying at a castle, complete with what used to be a dungeon tower, surrounded by a moat, owned by a count who speaks perfect English.

The lady of castle was our hostess at a very adequate breakfast.

The chateau also has a link to the story of Puss and Boots, written by a friend of a former owner. (You will have to leave it to your imagination as to whether the resident cat is a descendent of the famous feline.)

On the other side of the moat the property contines with a miniature Versailles-style garden complete with potted citrus trees, an apple and pear orchard, and horses.

We enjoyed our stay, and if we ever find ourselves in this part of France again we will be repeat guests.

Room Tip: Pick your room from the Chateau website, so that you know what you are getting. The price you pay w...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
La Herradura, Spain
Reviewed 19 September 2012

At the end of a pleasurable week long tour of France, my partner and I chose Chateau de Saint Loup for a birthday celebration. We were not disappointed. In fact the whole experience became the highlight of the holiday.

I am fortunate enough to have stayed in some beautiful and very grand hotels in many different countries but few come close to the atmosphere and exclusivity that is Chateau de Saint Loup. Comte Charles-Henri and Comtesse Sophie are most engaging and entertaining hosts who made us feel more welcome that I can remember in any other place I have stayed for a very long time. This is very much a home of course and not an impersonal, international 5 star hotel. But what a home! A chateau in the course of a long and sympathetic renovation which Charles-Henri is more than pleased to share. Yes, there is of course the odd cobweb, creaking door, flaky paintwork and sagging ceiling but this is all part of the originality and charm.

We enjoyed a wonderful and exclusive birthday evening. Sphie's cooking and choice of menu was superb and very much to our tastes as was Charles-Henri's choice of wine.

I would recommend a stay in this charming, authentic and quite magnificent chateau without hesitation.

Room Tip: The magnificent Chambre de Voltaire is HUGE and full of antiquity. Some may find it a little cold bu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon B
Lopez Island, Washington
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I had read about this chateau in a lovely book about France that I have had for several years so I was eager to see it for myself. No words can describe the joy I experienced when I was finally able to stay in the ancient keep of this marvelous place!

I arrived early and the room I had reserved was not quite ready. Sophie was a dear: she showed me the room I had reserved and then offered me a much larger, more expensive room for the same price if I should like it better. I took the larger and lovelier room.

I loved the common room with the great firefplace and fire! I enjoyed an evening picnic on the grounds and relaxed away the evening in the lovely room. The next day I spent time wandering around the grounds, the walled gardens, the stables, the stream. Then Charles-Henri provided a private tour of the chateau itself, taking time to explain paintings, unique furniture, and the history behind it all. It was a delight. I had expected to pay extra for the tour since the sign at the great gates gives the price of chateau tours, but not so. It was included in the stay! The breakfast was lovely - the bread supurb! They use a special baker whose bread they really like. Good choice!

I was overwhelmed by the amount of work and devotion it takes to maintain (much more to restore) such a huge and elegant place. Sophie was out mowing for hours on the commercial mower to prepare for an upcoming wedding. Both were more than gracious to me.

I thank them for such a special visit. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Manchester
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have just spent two nights at this magical chateau. We were slightly concerned that our two daughters might not appreciate it - we were wrong. They, too, we're enchanted by our rooms at the top of the ancient keep, over-looking the gorgeous chateau itself. Our hosts (and they do feel like hosts, not 'hotel-keepers') were utterly charming. Their love for the chateau and the enormous restoration task they are undertaking was instantly infectious and it was both a delight and a privilege for us to have been part of it. I can't imagine anywhere better for a wedding - but if that's not imminent, go and stay for a while - I cannot recommend it highly enough. We will be back and look forward to seeing how the restoration is progressing.

Room Tip: You can choose the chateau itself of the keep. The main house is huge and the bedrooms and lounge ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We booked 5 nights at Château de Saint-Loup as a convenient place to stay whilst attending a wedding in a local village. However, it turned out to be far more than a convenient place to stay. It was a memorable experience that added enormously to our time in the area. Charles-Henri de Bartillat, together with Sophie, has taken on the task of restoring the château. It is a labour of love. Their commitment is extraordinary and their achievements to date remarkable. As a guest, whilst enjoying a unique opportunity to share in a piece of history, you cannot help but develop an affection for the place. If your idea of hospitality is lying alongside an artificial pool with 24/7 room service, this is probably not for you. However, if you appreciate genuine hospitality with welcoming and knowledgeable hosts, then you will not be disappointed. One magical evening, our hosts served a candlelit dinner in wonderful surroundings. It proved to be one of the highlights of our trip and will remain with us as a special memory. We also benefitted from Charles-Henri’s advice on places to visit in the area. In doing so, we enjoyed new experiences that otherwise would have been missed. Château de Saint-Loup is a real gem and we would happily return.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Loup-Lamaire
Domaine de Chantemerle
#2 of 2 in Saint-Loup-Lamaire
Le Grand Logis
Le Grand Logis
#1 of 5 in Parthenay

Been to Chateau de Saint-Loup? Share your experiences!