“Basic Hotel, Nice Location”

Kosta Famissi Hotel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Kalambaka
Paris, France
“Basic Hotel, Nice Location”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel was booked as part of a tour through Greece and was perfectly located for our tour of Meteora the next day as it is in a prime location. The hotel itself is very basic with not much to be said other than though the furnishings were very dated and some upkeep could be done to the hotel, we had a nice sleep, the ac worked, and the hotel appeared clean. Breakfast was basic but plenty. Recommended for the budget-conscious traveler.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Charlies at reception is a gem. She helped arrange our short stay and visits to the Meteora so that we saw the best of it in a way that suited us fine. She also helped arrange our onward trip. The hotel is so well placed to visit Meteora by public bus and walking. Our room was very comfortable and had great views of the hills from the balcony.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were a group of 8 friends visiting the monasteries at Meteora and stayed here for one night. The hotel is spotlessly clean. The rooms were adequate and comfortable for our needs. What really stood out was the courtesy and helpfulness of the staff. From the moment we pulled up in front of the hotel, they went out of their way for us. We were in a van and they were very helpful in getting us a place to park near the hotel for free. They had reserved four rooms for us on the front of the hotel, so we had a view of the monasteries from our balcony. They saved a table for all of us at breakfast. We all agreed that the hotel was a pleasant experience for a very reasonable price. If I was in the area, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: As for rooms on the front of the hotel, facing the street. The view is amazing. Since the town is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very friendly, efficient and knowledgeable staff at this family hotel with amazing decor! Beds were very comfortable and the buffet breakfast offered a good choice. Rooms were serviced daily and were spotlessly clean. Good size furnished balcony. Great hotel if visiting Meteora and we would certainly stay here again.

Only downside was poor wi-fi in bedrooms (OK in lobby though.)

Room Tip: The rooms either overlook the Meteora (and the main road) at the front or the mountains at the rear...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at KFH 3 nights from 2-5 Feb 2014 in Room 303 for EUR35/night incl BF (winter).

My room had a very comfortable bed, good heating, balcony overlooking the Meteora, small fridge and TV w BBC, yeah! (as a single traveller you need this in winter - there is only so much you can talk to YOURSELF!!). The bathroom had lots of hot water (and a bath!) + good towels. The longer I was there, the more I looked past the age of the rooms and really enjoyed the ambience.

I really enjoyed my stay. Vaso and Charlize could not do enough to make sure I was comfortable and had all I needed. They helped me a couple of times without charging me for the requests - unheard of in this day and age. As all travellers know, the modern, funky hotels often lack soul and character and I loved this "olde worlde" hotel - it really suited the location in Kalambaka. I loved the Meteora and I honestly can say it was my favourite part of Greece on this trip. I was made to feel really welcome in each bar and restaurant I went to. The location is < 10 mins walk from the train station with view of Meteora from balcony - perfect. Thank you Kosta Famissi and Kalambaka, I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Meteora eg 303.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank YasmineinSydney
Danville, California
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The staff at Kosta Famissi are genuine and generous.. They are some of the most amazing people we met. We were lucky to choose this beautiful hotel and meet Kristos the nightime manager and Charlies the daytime lady manager. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. Kalampaka-Meteora area is truly an amazing place. I absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone. It is located in the quiet downtown of Kalampaka and surrounded by great restaurants and pastry shops... and all kinds of great shops. Also, walking distance to some amazing paths to the mountains where you can hike up to some of the monasteries. The rooms facing Meteora mountains are the best... the views are incredible from their nice large balconies. Plan in staying at least 3 nights in this area! You won't find a better location for a better price.

Room Tip: The upper floors... Any room looking the Meteora mountains.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I am glad to have chosen this hotel in Kalambaka. Our stay for 3 nights was memorable. The staff were always there to help every step of the way without being in our faces all the time! The room was well appointed and the mattresses were most comfortable. We were given a room with a view to the mountains from the balcony. The room was spacious. On arrival, we were given a map of the monasteries and also their schedules. Also, on arrival, we were offered complimentary drinks. As it was a very warm day, I couldn't refuse a cold beer! The staff were very polite and ensured were had water before we left the hotel as we walked a lot from the Grand Meteora to the other lower ones (we took a taxi to the Grand Meteora) on the first day and the next day we did the other 3 monasteries. It was well worth the experience! The hotel is not far from the bus stop but if you are a first timer then take a taxi from the bus stop to the hotel. The ride may seem a bit long because of one way streets. This hotel is great value for money and thanks for their hospitality! We would definitely recommend this hotel to any one going to Kalambaka.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family