“Loved the Adam naming the animals painting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Agios Nikolaos Anapaphsas

Agios Nikolaos Anapaphsas
Ranked #12 of 29 things to do in Kalambaka
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the smallest of the 16th-century monasteries.
Mexico City, Mexico
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved the Adam naming the animals painting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

To get there, a climb up a hill either through path or steps to bottom of monastery, then up stairs to the entrance of monastery, are necessary. Beautiful as other monasteries in Meteora. As I said in the title, I loved the "Adam naming the animals" painting.

Visited August 2012

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The fact that monks built these monasteries on top of these rocks in the 14th century is spellbinding. Papa Dimitri was our host and treated us with the greatest humility and dignity. UNFORGETTABLE

Visited July 2011
Melbourne
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“So cool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Amazing, would love to do other monasteries next time...

Visited February 2011
Troutman, North Carolina, United States
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Unbelievable!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

The views around this monastery are breathtaking in all directions.

Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“A Magical Place-Don't Miss It !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I watched a programme about this place, and decided that I had to visit. I got a train from Athens to Kalambaka, and walked to the village of Kastraki, at the foot of the Monastries. I stayed in hotel France, basic, but the manager was very helpfull. He drove me on his Honda 50, to the bend of the ascending road, and showed me a shortcut through which I could climb directly up to the highest monastry. This was the old path that the monks took, long before a road was built. Not for the faint hearted, and you need to be able to fill your lungs with oxygen ! When I got to the top, I was immediately taken by the views of the valley below. I went into the Monastry, and leisurely walked around. The centre of the monastry, where the place of worship is, was beautiful, and unworldly. I felt I was back in time, surrounded by painted walls and ceilings, and a feeling of being in a time capsule. Indeed it is a time capsule, so go and feel, smell, and see it. A magical place !

Visited December 2010