“Fantastic View”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kalambaka
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic View”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Doupiani House for one night. We had a hire car but were able to walk from the Hotel to a close restaurant which was very pleasant. Our view from the balcony was wonderful and gave us a taste of the days touring to come. Our room was very clean and quite 'fancy' - couldn't fault the room. The service however was probably the least friendly we had during our four weeks touring Turkey and Greece. The staff were pleasant enough just no smiles or helpful guidance - it all seemed a bit of an effort for them. If it had been the only place we had stayed at I probably would rave about it, but, though it was probably the 'fanciest' hotel the personal attention was definitely lacking. Having said all that - I would still recommend staying here:)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I admit that I was a bit disappointed at first with the location of this hotel, since it was further away from the city center than I had originally thought. But I came to realize that the location is actually ideal for the attractions of this area. When we arrived we walked to the city center (about 20-30 min, we didn't have a car) which is nice, but there really isn't much to do there. All the attractions are outside of the city and Doupiani House is about as close as you can get to them. We took a half-day tour and we were the last couple to be picked up for the tour because the first stop was literally 2 min from the hotel. Had we known this we would have walked there the day before instead of going into town (take a left, instead of right when leaving the hotel, walk the opposite way from town).

The patio and decor of the hotel is amazingly beautiful and romantic, especially at night. The breakfast was decent, I recommend the Greek yogurt with honey. I only interacted with the woman, who I am assuming is one of the owners, but she was really nice and always greeted me in Greek. I really appreciated that and asked her how to say certain things in Greek and she was more than willing to teach me. (From her surprised/happy reaction I got the feeling most tourists don't take the time to learn any Greek.) The words and phrases that she taught me came in handy during the rest of our trip, Efharisto!!

We had a room with a small balcony and a view of the rocks/mountain from the back side of the hotel. Our room was quite small but nice. Now that I know, I would get a room on the garden side with a larger balcony. I think those rooms are larger too. The bathroom in our room had been updated and was nicely decorated, again just kind of small. But the price was nice and we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it worked out alright for us, plus we only stayed one night, so it was fine. The mattress was really firm/hard, and I usually like a firm mattress, but the fact that I noticed how "firm/hard" it was says something. (My husband said it was way too firm for his liking.) The cats that hang out on the patio are also really cute and friendly (I'm fairly certain that they are the hotel's cats).

In summary, this is possibly the best location for the area and its attractions. It has amazing views and the price is also very good for this romantic hotel, tucked away in the countryside.

Room Tip: The rooms with a garden view have the better views and the larger patios, and possibly larger rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katiesg07
Lillehammer, Norway
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotes has great location with amazing view to Meteora. We booked room with balcony and view to Meteora. Hotel rooms are clean and nice. Owners are friendly and helpful. The hotel's garden is nice decorated and is pleasure to eat breakfast with world class view or drink some Metaxa in evening. We recommend this hotel highly who planing to visit this wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andris M
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Doupiani House in Kastraki this past April, 2014. The rooms were beautiful and well appointed, the view from the rooms out over Kastraki and environs was gorgeous, the hosts were gracious and eager to help with every issue we brought to them (such as "when and where does the bus leave for Meteora?) and the breakfasts were simple but tasty. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance from the hotel. And for those with laptops .. the hotel had internet connections that actually worked well, something I seldom see in hotels (they almost all advertise internet connections but connections are often poor). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Doupiani House to anyone traveling to the Meteora area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donald W
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had a great time exploring the monasteries at Meteora and a lovely stay at Doupiani House. The panorama views from the balcony were to die for. I have no complaints about the customer service but they didn't really go out of their way to do anything for us. Our air conditioner was dripping water and the solution was to not keep it so cold. Okay I guess? I would definitely give this hotel a 5/5 for the value and the view but the lack of any customer service brings the overall grade down a few notches.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the cliffs on the top floor. Great views!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's a good place to stay to visit Meteora Monateries: great view, quiet room, clean and offers good value for money. Just a litlle bit distant from city centre, it would be better to have a car.
Breakfast is simple but nice.
Wi-fii sinal is very good and free of charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Clarksville, Maryland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent only one night there in May. The owners (husband and wife) were extremely nice. The husband was very helpful in finding me a taxi driver to take me around early in the morning to shoot photos of the rocks and the monasteries when the lighting was good. The location is perfect, in a very village-like area. I think it's closest to the attractions. There are some restaurants within 5-10 minute walk. The price we paid was great! I like Meteora more than I like Athens.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family