“Beautiful, rustic, and right next to the Meteora”

Doupiani House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kalambaka
New York City, New York
“Beautiful, rustic, and right next to the Meteora”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Perfect location to enjoy the mountains. The place is very well kept, with rustic ambiance and exceptional views. Deceptively much farther away from the train station that new originally thought, we had to carry our luggage to Kalambaka's square and take a cab. Don't attempt to walk to the hotel if you have luggage!!
Management was nice, the breakfast was lacking though. It was mostly boiled eggs, bacon and fruit. All in all, it was amazing to share the evening with my loved one while being enthralled by the beauty of Meteora. We had the chance to see the Super-moon and it was quite a sight
Ps. Beware; Kastraki and Kalambaka are two different towns, 20 minute walk away from each

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Molaoi, Greece
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel in Kastraki close to the monasteries and with lovely views of the rocks. Our room was spacious and clean with a lovely bathroom and comfortable bed. It's easy to find being well signposted from the centre of the village. It's off the main road so there is no traffic noise from coaches going to the monasteries. The buffet breakfast is more than adequate.

The owners were very helpful and friendly and always available.

Just be aware that the leaflets which they hand out for the monasteries are out of date regarding opening times so check before you travel to avoid a wasted journey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank philhellene
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent a couple nights here to see the monasteries in Meteora. This was a very nice place in a good location, up more in the hills than in the town. We took a train from Athens and then took a 5 minute cab ride to this hotel from the station. We were given a choice of rooms. The hotel appeared to be remodeled with an old feel, lots of beautiful dark wood. Our room had a nice patio and the front desk lady never seemed to sleep. She offered us lots of help and advice. We rented a motorbike to go between monasteries which she set up for us. We also asked her to call us a cab for our early train and she told us to wake her up if they did not come and showed us where her room was. Breakfast was not bad, and could be taken in the dining area or large outside patio. My only complaint was that the internet only worked in the common area. This was a nice place to stay otherwise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica M
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

To start, I am not one of these petty people that demean a hotel for things out of their control. My reviews are almost always positive. I cannot say enough about the hotel and amazing view and proximity to what I came here for: Meteora. If you want proximity to Kalambaka, then this hotel isn't right for you. If you want to be close to the main attraction, then this is a great hotel...until I dealt with the A-hole of a night manager! This Putz couldn't even put down his iPad to answer a question. I was asking about how the best way to get to get to my next destination was, and he responded with " I'm sorry, this is important to me". I can understand if I was asking someone on the street, but this is something that most Trip Advisor places excel at: Customer Service. A final point is that he placed himself at the most focal point on the patio. The only real table with a view. I feel like checking out tomorrow.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank buffalohockey15
Sydney
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at Doupiani House for two nights and it is a fabulous property. We had a panorama view room and it was spacious and comfortable with an awesome view of the rocks. The owners were friendly and gracious, and we loved their 7 or 8 Birman cats who hang out the front. Can be a bit noisy if your room is directly above the covered outdoor terrace and people sit there socialising at night, so ask for a room towards the end of the building - on the right-hand side looking towards the rocks would probably be good.

Room Tip: Get a panorama view room but ask for one away from the covered outdoor terrace.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Doupiani House for one night. We had a hire car but were able to walk from the Hotel to a close restaurant which was very pleasant. Our view from the balcony was wonderful and gave us a taste of the days touring to come. Our room was very clean and quite 'fancy' - couldn't fault the room. The service however was probably the least friendly we had during our four weeks touring Turkey and Greece. The staff were pleasant enough just no smiles or helpful guidance - it all seemed a bit of an effort for them. If it had been the only place we had stayed at I probably would rave about it, but, though it was probably the 'fanciest' hotel the personal attention was definitely lacking. Having said all that - I would still recommend staying here:)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I admit that I was a bit disappointed at first with the location of this hotel, since it was further away from the city center than I had originally thought. But I came to realize that the location is actually ideal for the attractions of this area. When we arrived we walked to the city center (about 20-30 min, we didn't have a car) which is nice, but there really isn't much to do there. All the attractions are outside of the city and Doupiani House is about as close as you can get to them. We took a half-day tour and we were the last couple to be picked up for the tour because the first stop was literally 2 min from the hotel. Had we known this we would have walked there the day before instead of going into town (take a left, instead of right when leaving the hotel, walk the opposite way from town).

The patio and decor of the hotel is amazingly beautiful and romantic, especially at night. The breakfast was decent, I recommend the Greek yogurt with honey. I only interacted with the woman, who I am assuming is one of the owners, but she was really nice and always greeted me in Greek. I really appreciated that and asked her how to say certain things in Greek and she was more than willing to teach me. (From her surprised/happy reaction I got the feeling most tourists don't take the time to learn any Greek.) The words and phrases that she taught me came in handy during the rest of our trip, Efharisto!!

We had a room with a small balcony and a view of the rocks/mountain from the back side of the hotel. Our room was quite small but nice. Now that I know, I would get a room on the garden side with a larger balcony. I think those rooms are larger too. The bathroom in our room had been updated and was nicely decorated, again just kind of small. But the price was nice and we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it worked out alright for us, plus we only stayed one night, so it was fine. The mattress was really firm/hard, and I usually like a firm mattress, but the fact that I noticed how "firm/hard" it was says something. (My husband said it was way too firm for his liking.) The cats that hang out on the patio are also really cute and friendly (I'm fairly certain that they are the hotel's cats).

In summary, this is possibly the best location for the area and its attractions. It has amazing views and the price is also very good for this romantic hotel, tucked away in the countryside.

Room Tip: The rooms with a garden view have the better views and the larger patios, and possibly larger rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple