“Great finish to our Icelandic holiday”

Frost and Fire Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hveragerdi
London
“Great finish to our Icelandic holiday”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We spent the last 2 nights of our holiday here, and are so pleased we chose it. The first thing that struck us was the location, right by the river and also overlooking the 'steaming' hillside. Another bonus was the hot tubs and the swimming pool. The room itself was adequate - comfortable, but nothing really special about it, other than the balcony and the fantastic view over the river. The food was great. There was ample choice at breakfast, including bread baked in the hot spring, and the dinner was one of my favourite meals in Iceland (I had the lamb). As the hotel is set at the back of the town, away from the road, it's close to the walking trails - although nothing is very far away. One of our highlights was the mountain walk to see the geothermal activity in the area and also a swim in the hot river (- about a 3km hike from the town). We picked up a trail guide from the tourist office, although this isn't absolutely necessary, as the trail is well marked. We definitely intend to return, and shall stay again at this hotel. Maybe next time, we shall start our holiday here, as it's such a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a river view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poppycatLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Little Paxton
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Excellent guest house, rooms small and bath room very small. Bit very comfortable. Superb location. Great swimming in a pool at 40 degs right outside your room.

Breakfast and dinner really very good. Staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Wifi not very strong
Borlange, Sweden
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Its better than i expected so I I'am very satisfied , nice personnel,clean room and some nice hot tube and sauna,good breakfast and dinner.
Fabulous nature around the hotel for walking and relax.I can recommend this for to stay longer than I did (1night)

Stayed August 2014
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I went in this amazing guesthouse for my first getaway in December 2013. Was snow and hard winter in reykjavik. We got a nice room with glass window with amazing view to the mountain ( just magic). We had an amazing dinner with a well cooked salt fish ( bacalao), and everything was just perfect from the beginning. In the middle of the night we just brought a champaign bottle to the outside hot pool and hot pot and was such a magic moment, big moon, mountains with smoke from the hot springs around, river behind us, and lot of stars even was cloudy. I love frost and fire, is and will be my favorite place to stay in Iceland. Thanks for a great and magic night.

Stayed December 2013
Cindymdale
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in this quirky, rustic hotel for one night on our way back to Reykjavik. The rooms are nestled along the Varma river, many with hot tubs right outside. There was also a pool which, alas, had been drained when we were there. Still, very relaxing to sit in the hot tub and look out over the river There was also a steam room/sauna - We were a family of four, so our room was a bit cramped but comfortable. Breakfast was fine and served in a lovely glassed in dining room. Dinner was good, too. Had we stayed more than one night, we would have ventured in to Hveragerdi for dinner another night as it looked like there were several nice (and most likely less expensive) choices. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We even had a cat in our room who welcomed us! Being pet people, we got a real kick out of that and the cat was very friendly - cat was named Elden, which I believe is Icelandic for lightening. Hotel was a tad on the expensive side, but it was a real Iceland experience. It did look like a bit of construction was going on, but that didn't bother us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindymdale
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It's very confortable, the rooms at very nice decorated, specially for Iceland, you have 2 bathrobes so yo can enjoy their thermal baths and natural sauna even in a cold day, as the jacuzzi is @ 40 degrees. They include the breakfast, which is delicious, and they have the best smoked salmon ever tasted, I think the do it in house. It's very clean, the service is very good and the bed is very nice.
Just book in advance, it's always full.

Room Tip: Rooms from 1-4 are the best, with terrace and brand new decoration.
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The outside of the place could be updated a bit but definitely not awful, some of the walkways were a bit dangerous so just be careful there are some wobbly stones underfoot. We stayed in Room 5 which had a really comfy bed (two beds pushed together) decent sized room with a lovely view of the river running right outside your window which was lovely.

The only thing I wasn't really impressed with was the size of the bathroom it was absolutely tiny and you could only get one person in there comfortably I must admit I laughed when I first saw it but you make do and we were only staying for 3 nights. I discovered on the 2nd day to keep one half of the shower curtain open as it just sticks to you which drives me mad but if you keep one open it doesn't stick so much. The bathroom towels are small so you may want to bring some of your own.

There is a sky light in Room 5 which has no blinds on so in the summer you get a full blast of daylight all day & night long so bring an eye mask also. Room was lovely and warm no heating needs putting on and we used the two hot tubs everyday the water is lovely we sat in there while it rained and it was lovely very refreshing especially when you run back ro your room from sitting in the warmth and getting out into the cold lol.

The restaurant at the hotel was absolutely gorgeous I had langoustine salad and my hubby had foal carpaccio (I know foal but we were all eating horse without knowing about it in England recently and it never harmed anyone). Both starters were gorgeous, then I had the steam cooked lamb and hubby had artic char both again were gorgeous, I then had ice cream and hubby tried the local skyr which again was lovely.

Overall loved it here, people were nice and friendly, nice little walks around the town you can get a map from reception, love the steam coming from the hillside, you can boil your own eggs outside in the car park in a steam vent you put your eggs into a little net to do so for breakfast.

If you see any flags with a pink pig on and Bonus written on it this is the local supermarket for your info the local lager called Viking is very nice.

So in short bring extra towels as they are small here, bring an eye mask but really enjoyed our stay and be prepared for a small bathroom sorry tiny lol still nice though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hveragerdi
Hotel Borealis
#16 of 52 in Reykjavik
Hotel Laxnes
Hotel Laxnes
#1 of 1 in Mosfellsbaer

Been to Frost and Fire Hotel? Share your experiences!