“Best day in Iceland”

Eldhestar Private Day Tours
Ranked #6 of 13 things to do in Hveragerdi
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked a day trip for a recent trip to Iceland (5b Under the Mountains) and couldn't be more pleased - pick up from the hotel in the morning, all the staff were incredibly friendly, especially our pick up driver, Anna the guide was fantastic, informative, friendly and keen to advise on riding tips (especially for learning to tolt, the unique gait of the Icelandic horse). The facilities were brilliant, we were lent overalls for our ride to keep us warm from the changeable weather, and the horses were brilliant - calm, sturdy, and well cared for. The views were incredible - a thoroughly great way to get off the beaten track and see some of Iceland's unspoiled scenery. Thanks Eldhestar!

2  Thank SmnthaWb
There are newer reviews for Eldhestar Private Day Tours

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We just took the three day Northern Lights riding trip. The ride is based out of their hotel. We went on two rides a day. They rotated the horses for each ride so the horses were fresh. They did a good job of matching horse to rider experience. The horses are very well cared for. The guides were great. The riding is done at a walk or fast tolt.
The hotel was clean and pleasant. The food excellent. Two nice hot tubs are outside. As in all Icelandic facilities you are expected to shower before entering.
We were lucky and saw the Northern lights. The weather can be brisk with fierce winds. Bring layers of wool. They loan winter coveralls for riding that work well.
The owners run longer riding tours that were highly recommended by other guests that were repeat offenders.

1  Thank p c
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed for two nights at Eldhestar, as me and my daughters gift to her mother on her 50 birthday. We wanted one tour for the three of us, and one tour for my wife, who is a bit more experienced rider.

Floriane recommended the 5A Hot Spring Tour for the family and The Beach Tour, number 6, for my wife.

The weather were perfect and the Hot Spring Tour was fantastic. If possible, there were only one thing we missed, the possibility to take some pictures of the great scenery. For security reasons we were asked deal with the cameras while we rode in the landscape, which at times was quite spectacular. We were promised breaks along the way to shoot photographs, but unfortunately there were no breaks during most of our tour.

The stay in Reykjadalur was great, with baths in the hot springs.

Unfortunately my wife turned very disappointed when she in the evening asked the receptionist at which time the Beach Tour would start the next day. The receptionist informed her that that tour was cancelled, because of too few participants. This is understandable, but we do not understand why we were not notified in advance. After all, the trip was booked and paid.

Instead of the whole day tour she was offered a half day tour, the 3B Soft River Banks tour. She had a nice trip, but we still find that the organizer failed when they did not give us information about the cancelled tour. We still wonder what would have happened if she had not contacted the reception the night before.

After all we had a great time at Eldhestar. This is a beautiful place, just outside the exciting town of Hveragerði. The atmosphere is nice and relaxing and we will highly recommend this.

1  Thank Steinar B
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Went on the kjölur tour - one week on horseback in the wilderness. It was amazing! Nice people, good food, fun horses and fantastic unspoiled nature. Will come back every year!! :)

2  Thank Moule82
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I enjoyed the location of the tours. It was beautiful.

The only small complaint that I have is that it was too wet to do the tour that I wanted, seemed like they knew it for a while, but they didn't tell me till it was not available till we arrived. would have preferred it if they emailed me a few days before so i could choose what to do. It was hard to choose on the spot.

They seemed to be very competent and good guides. The experience was beautiful. I would recommend this company.

1  Thank sarahmaob