Hrifunes Guesthouse
Hostel Hvoll(Kirkjubaejarklaustur)
  • Free Internet
Thykkvibaer Guesthouse(Kirkjubaejarklaustur)
Agoda.com
All reviewsother gueststhe main houseliving roomother travelersbig tablevinyl recordscommunal dinnera wonderful place to stayshower flooricelandic homewild goosenorthern lightscommunity tableher husbandthe main roada delicious home cooked mealblack sand beach
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights in May. We were truly surprised at how excellent the food was. The rooms are more than comfortable. Its remote location feels Icelandic. You'll like Hadda. This is a great choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hrifunes has many positive points and I could not find a negative one. It was delightful to walk around the house and look at all the things that make up the warm atmosphere. My favorite was the shower floor with the local stones. The area around is rich in wild nature which made the hiking in the area just perfect.

Thank you Hadda for the unique experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here in February and found it delightful. It is based on an older Icelandic home and has been remodeled and upgraded in various ways, but still retains the traditional charm. It was comfortable and the dinners were fantastic--Hadda is a wonderful chef and a fun person. I also enjoyed her husband who excels at photography, guiding and driving in extreme conditions.

Room Tip: Two of us, a couple, stayed in the largest room. It could accommodate a family of five, but was great for two photographers with a great deal of gear and winter clothing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have had the unique opportunity, privilege, and the utmost pleasure to have been a guest at the Hrífunes Guesthouse twice in four months. Both stays were equally delightful, comfortable, and memorable.

Hrífunes Guesthouse is more than just a lodging option or a brief stop during a trip through southern Iceland. It is a genuine experience of Icelandic culture in its own right that will enrich your already happy memories of your trip and impart a sense of camaraderie, cheer, family, and togetherness. That is how I felt when I stayed with Hadda Gisladottir and her husband, Haukur Snorasson, at the Hrífunes Guesthouse.

It was during Spring 2013 that I first learned about Hrífunes as I was exploring my options for travel in Iceland. When I discovered Hadda and Haukur’s All Around Iceland Tour (they also run their own tour company, Iceland Photo Tours, or IPT) and read more about their guesthouse and the warm ambience that it provides, I promptly signed up for the tour. Hrífunes Guesthouse is a featured lodge on the last few days of the tour, which by the way was absolutely amazing. Please, read my review of that tour on Hadda &Haukur’s testimonial page on their IPT site. My second stay at Hrífunes Guesthouse came a few months later in August 2013, when I made a solo trip to Iceland to explore the Highlands. Because of my beautiful experience during my first the first stay at Hrífunes, I did not want to stay anywhere else in southern Iceland for lodging. Hrífunes was my first and only choice, for many reasons.

Geographically, the Hrífunes Guesthouse is ensconced in the beautiful and peaceful countryside of Suðerland, just inland of the “Ring Road” with a beautiful view of Vatnajökull Glacier to the north. It is the perfect location for exploring the Highlands, Kirkjubælarklauster, and Skaftafell National Park.

Personally built by Hadda and Haukur, Hrífunes Guesthouse and its cottages have a charming and old fashioned appearance, which impart a rural and uplifting feeling the moment you drive in. Inside, Hadda and Haukur have done a splendid job with their personal vision of Icelandic décor. The guesthouse proper has beautiful old fashioned furniture, keepsakes, samples of traditional Icelandic clothing, framed art from Haukur (who is a brilliant artist and photographer, by the way), and burning candles in the evening, which are a warm and lovely touch. The entrance opens directly into an enchanting dining area. Adjacent the dining room is a shared den with a cozy sofa, love seats, a wood stove, and is adorned with works of art, antique cameras, and music playing softly from the old-fashioned record player, which I found delightful! The living room has a wide window permitting an uninterrupted view of the beautiful and serene green countryside with the coast far in the distance. On both stays, I relished lounging in this area with my book and a cup of Hadda’s wonderful coffee as well as becoming acquainted with the other guests. In my first stay at Hrífunes, my room was in the guesthouse proper with shared amenities. In my second visit, my room was in the separate and private cottage named, Lakagígur. Both rooms are very cozy, comfortable, clean, and more than met my needs and expectations.

The meals that Hadda prepared for me and the other delightful guests from around the world were absolutely amazing! She prepared traditional Iceland dishes, three course meals, sweet desserts and treats, and a delight breakfast. Without question, she is the best chef in the world, and her cooking is second in quality and variety only to my beloved mother. Bravo, Hadda!

Finally, during both of my stays at Hrífunes, on a personal and professional level, Hadda welcomed me and the other guests in open arms and made me feel like a personal friend. Hadda and Haukur are wonderful human beings and a joy to know. They have a warm and friendly demeanor, a great sense of humor, are filled with love and joy of people, and are attentive to needs and wishes of the guests. From the moment I entered Hrífunes and met Hadda and her husband, it was clear that they are seasoned professionals with years of experience in the travel industry who take delight and personal commitment to ensuring a comfortable and rewarding stay.

All in all, the Hrífunes guesthouse is a splendid choice for an Icelandic retreat and experiencing more of the Icelandic culture. I cannot recommend it enough! Takk fyrir, Hadda and Haukur, for making my dreams come true! The world needs more great people like you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

In September 2013 I stayed for three nights at Hrifunes guesthouse - and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The short review: High standard compared to other Icelandic guesthouses, individually decorated, great hosts, family style dinner with local produce and all conveniently located. I can recommend staying there and will visit again.

Hrifunes is located centrally on the southern coast of Iceland - if you want to explore the southern shore from Skogar and the infamous Eyjafjallajökull to the Skaftafell park Hrifunes lies right in the middle. (Driving around is part of exploring Iceland).

The guest house is a renovated community house and 15 minutes from road number 1 - a tranquil place with a great view. The two bathrooms - one spacey, one tiny - were clean and functional - to my knowledge no ensuite-facilities in the main house. My room was nicely decorated, had a nice view over the sands to the sea, good blinds (usefull during midsummer) and a proper bed. In Summer they also offer cottages with en-suite facilities.

I stayed for three nights and participated in the family style dinners. Hadda the manager and host is also a good cook and thus the evenings were more personal and of a different quality than in normal restaurants or guest houses. To me this is what Hrifunes sets apart from other B&Bs or guesthouses.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo