“Room reminds me of a Disney Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Grimsborgir

Hotel Grimsborgir
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Selfoss
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Room reminds me of a Disney Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed here one night. The bedroom reminds me of a Disney Hotel; lovely style comprising painted wood panneling and smart bathroom. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy my stay so much because the superior room I had was so small. It was just myself, my wife, and a baby. We're both slim, but we seemed to be constantly bumping into each other and tripping over our suitcase as we made our way around the room. While using the toilet I'm bumping into the toilet-roll holder (which just stands in the middle of the room as there is no official space for it), and there was no space around the sink to put our washbags. Overall, it just didn't flow for us. I wasn't aware at time of booking that they did larger suites (I booked same day by telephone with no access to the Internet), but I think one of those might be perfect.

While the style of the bedroom is Disney like, the style of the restaurant is very different. The dining room is large, with live music (pianist) and buffet. Pink table cloths and white high-back soft chairs make it look like a wedding reception - crossed with an old people's home. I'm generally into buffets - but the food here was really prepared well. Full credit to the chef, especially the Pork which was probably the best I've ever tasted. The pianist was very good too, much better than the usual affair.

Staff at reception were brilliant - very helpful and friendly.

It is just a shame the room was small, and I didn't know (or didn't think to ask) about the larger rooms on offer. I would like to go back again and try.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I generally don't write reviews but I was very dissatisfied with tour experience at Grimsborgir. We booked a 4 bedroom house for two nights in August 2014 and it was looked lovely. However, there was no heat and we asked for assistance, which they sent the next day.....and then we're able to only repair the kitchen area and sitting area. The bedrooms were still dreadfully cold at night. In addition, the dishwasher and BBQ was not functioning. We asked for firewood to keep warm and we're charged $35 upon leaving

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TravelingJ2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have no idea how much this hotel cost because it was just one of the several we stayed in while in Iceland and Nordic Visitor had booked all of the hotels for us. It is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. The hot tubs outside were the hottest I have ever been in. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. It is close to Kerid, a crater.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is one of the very best hotels we stayed during our 15 days trip to Iceland. Excellent location on the Golden Ring, elegant rooms, very good food, and very friendly staff. At dinner we also had live music, a well known musician, Geir Olafsson played lovely songs from the 60s

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful view.
      Rooms
1 Thank dcm_boticelli
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed there for one night on August 1, 2014, with my husband and my son. They did everything possible to help us celebrate my son's birthday there. We had booked two rooms and they upgraded us to a large four bedroom apartment, brought a small birthday cake for my son and the pianist at dinner sang Happy Birthday in his opera voice. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. Only little nuisance was small flying insects in the afternoon outside the apartment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Raj M
southbeach,miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

my boyfriend & i recently had a 6 night stay here & felt we never received a pure icelandic experience at this location. to begin the apts are large & w/ excellent art & vistas. the place is in the perfect location for exploring southern iceland & they have a superb breakfast buffet. the owners tried their best to remedy the issues we had w/ our apt. to begin when we checked in they allowed me to use the front desk computer to get medical info from my dr. for they don't have a business center if you don't have your own laptop. also they assisted us in making a phone call to the usa on our icelandic phone. unfortunately my dr. wasn't able to fax my medical report for their machine isn't always on.the apts. have large rooms but the ikea furniture they bought is showing wear & tear!!!! we arrived to rooms w/ dirty comforters, sagging,stained couches & stained seating pads. also there were dirty silverware, dirty placemats & chipped ikea plates on the dining room table.also if you open any windows flies & gnats permeate the apt due to no screens, and weeds surrounding the property which aren't maintained. the owners did clean the comforters, dishes and washed the stained seating pads. they claimed raid wasn't available, thus we bought our own. also they washed the windows & attempted to kill/remove all flies & dead gnats. literally i'd wake up every morning to flies buzzing all about me. therefore i cannot recommend this location to anyone. even their leather bound journal book had a broken flap & broken binding. finally the owners aren't icelandic & didn't seem to have the pure/genuine icelandic spirit we were looking for. fortunately we encountered it everywhere else throughout our 10 day journey.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed in the Grimsborgir Villas, which are luxury hotel style rooms. They seemed to be very new, both buildings looked fresh and the room was very well appointed with a small patio and windows that opened and a very nice bathroom, tv, mini bar in the refrigerator. The two buildings shared 4 hot soaking tubs - very relaxing. The new reception building and dining room had been opened one day when we arrived, they were still building the reception desk. We ate dinner in the dining room both nights and enjoyed their buffet where there was a great variety of food and all very fresh. Desserts were especially good. The staff and owner were wonderfully friendly. The breakfast buffets were very nice too and I loved being able to have a latte. Not inexpensive but very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank getaround28970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selfoss
Hotel Borealis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,016 reviews
Hotel Selfoss
Hotel Selfoss
#2 of 8 in Selfoss

Been to Hotel Grimsborgir? Share your experiences!