“Great Icelandic hospitality and great place to stay!”
Review of Vatnsholt

Vatnsholt
Ranked #10 of 26 Selfoss B&B and Inns
Neerpelt
“Great Icelandic hospitality and great place to stay!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Me and my wife have made a beautifull tour in Iceland with our two teenage daughters.
When we arrived at the guesthouse "Vatsnhold", we immediately got a very warm welcome from the owners ànd from the dogs :-)!
They run a very nice guestfarm with very clean and nice decorated rooms. They and their chef take good care of the visitors with very fine food and breakfast in a cosy restaurant. Margret even bakes super bread every day!
Johann and Margret also give wonderfull tips to explore the fantastic island. We stayed for four nights and visited very nice places in the area.
We will go back to this wonderfull place and people:-)!
Van Winkel family out of Belgium

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Small, but nice rooms (we got one with our own bathroom even though we just reserved one with shared), friendly people and decent food (although a bit expensive). Great view on Hekla and Eyafjallajökull.
The owner also gave nice tips for our trip the next day.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 March 2013

it's clean, cozy, and for a guesthouse the kitchen and bathrooms are very good.
it's a great location for northern light hunting: in the middle of no where, little light pollution, and according to the owner it's coastal location means wind tend to blow cloud away at night. and we did see it!
The 3 course dinner we had was a pleasant surprise.
Owners are passionate and helpful. Gave us a lot of detailed advice for a tour of the south coast.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jingwen Z
Indianapolis, IN USA
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This is the quintessential farmhouse in Iceland. It oozes charm - so much so that I actually stayed an extra day just to soak up all the ambiance. It was just an added bonus that there were James Dean photo decorations seeing as I am from Indiana (this Rebel Without a Cause actor's home state).

Note: I had this farmhouse all to myself during my stay so may have a different charm when shared with other travelers.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the separate smaller house in the "James Dean" bedroom near the main kitch...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tiasis
Central New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here from one night as we traveled along the ring road. We had an enjoyable stay at Vatnsholt and would not hesitate to stay there again. We had a double room with an ensuite bathroom. The room was simple, a bit on the small size, but clean, comfortable and cozy. As with any B&B style accomodations, the rooms are always more like a guest room in someone's home verses a hotel room, which is exactly what this was like.

Bear in mind there was no television in the room, so if you are a TV junkie, this might not go well for you! Fear not though, the lovely owners and staff provide plenty of entertainment. There are books gallore around the farmhouse to borrow and read during your stay. If you have children there is a trampoline and jungle gym outside. The farm also has plenty of dogs and cute animals (bunnies, cats, even a raven). The night we stayed there they had a showing of a volcano documentary in the common room/restaurant in the main building. There is a lovely restaurant there as well. We did not have a chance to dine there, but heard from other travelers staying there that the food was great.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes drive outside of Selfoss, so it's more of a remote location (afterall it is a farm). It's convenient to the ring road and the surrounding area is beautiful. If you need any tips on what to see while touring Iceland, don't hesitate to ask the staff, they are an enthusiastic wealth of knowledge!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed here one night. Solid place. Nice rooms (quaint). Very quiet. Great large dining area with table tennis tables. Was heavy rain the day and night i was there so i mostly sat in my room and read a book. Didn't have any problems with the service, the staff friendliness nor the food. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robthewasp
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights, as part of an organised tour. The welcome we got was very friendly, although I must say I was a bit disappointed when shown the room. It was basic and rather small, in the long shed building. It was clean, but the bathroom was tiny and I did find it a little inconvenient that there was no wardrobe or chest of drawers, so I lived out of my suitcase. Plenty of hot water each morning for my shower and luckily, I didn't spend very much time in the room (too busy touring!).

The main building/restaurant was very nice. There were a couple of (slightly battered) ping pong tables, which was a bit of fun and the food was very good. Breakfast was a generous buffet, no complaints at all and dinner was limited in choice, but very pleasant. I'm a vegetarian and they had no problems catering for me... actually, the meals were great. The other people on the tour who had the standard food offered on the menu all said it was very good every night. Desserts were heavenly! The main building also had a small sitting area which was comfortable and you could access wifi for free there. I had no problems with it and I did access it every evening.

The farm is very interesting. There were plenty of animals there, including a raven, several dogs, rabbits, kittens, horses, goats... The dogs, goats and kittens were free to roam around the grounds and were all very friendly. I wasn't greatly amused to see the raven being kept in a rather small cage in the barn, however. But it was definitely interesting to see all the animals. The staff were all friendly too, the owners quite willing to chat and they organised a viewing of a DVD about the volcano eruption of 2010 one evening, which was good.

Location wise, the farm isn't in the best place. It's close to Selfoss, but there isn't much there. All the touring we did, it was at least an hour to get to from the farm and sometimes longer. But it was convenient to stay in just one place, rather than having to unpack and repack several times. The journeys were often quite scenic too.

All in all, I was happy with my stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid the long shed building rooms! I heard that the rooms in the farmhouse are very nice, much bigg...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Hazel M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selfoss
Hotel Borealis
#2 of 8 in Selfoss
Frost and Fire Hotel
Frost and Fire Hotel
#1 of 3 in Hveragerdi

Been to Vatnsholt? Share your experiences!