“Not a good experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosshaven
Athlone, Ireland
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in this B&B recently and I can honestly say it was the worst place I have encountered in a long, long time
The man who checked me in acted as if he had never dealt with guests before.
He handed me a key attached to what had been a leather covered keyring with my room number. The leather had worn away and my room number was not visible at all. This was an omen and I should have been smart and left there and then.
There is a neglected air about the place. I was disgusted with my bedding- old threadbare polycotton sheets that smelt of sweat, with old wool blankets topped by shabby bed covers which looked like they needed a good wash and airing.
The lock/handle in the bathroom door was missing- there was just a hole in the door.
Breakfast was adequate.The buffet consisted of a small bowl of cornflakes, a small bowl of muesli and a few shrivelled small oranges in a bowl. The fry tasted good- nice bacon and eggs.
When you enter Crosshaven and see the sign for Whispering Pines,take my advice and keep on going.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Maurafromgibberland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boldon
Reviewed 4 July 2003

This hotel is ideally suited to boat anglers visiting Ireland. Well placed for transfers from Cork airport which the hotel arranges with thier own mini-coach. The hotel has three of its own boats, all Aqua Star 42ft island wheelhouse vessels. The hotel is not luxurious but is clean comfortable has a good bar and restaurant and is well used to coping with both groups and individual anglers. Our 12 strong group spent six days there in September 2002 and 16 are booked to do the same in 2003 .

Stayed January 2005
11 Thank TonkaBoldon

Been to Whispering Pines Guest House? Share your experiences!