“WARNING - DO NOT STAY IF THERE IS A FUNCTION ON!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“WARNING - DO NOT STAY IF THERE IS A FUNCTION ON!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I can honestly say, hands down, that the 3 nights I spent at this hotel where the worst nights sleep i have had ever at a hotel! Who ever designed this hotel should be asked to stay there to see what they have created first hand. I had a room on the 1st floor (although you push the number 2 button on the lift?) and it would have looked out onto a nice internal courtyard, however, instead of an internal couratyard we were right on top of a large function room and by God was it loud! And i dont mean a slight hint of noise now and again i mean I could hear each song word for word, and the bass made the beds and coffee tray shake. My first night i thought wow what a nice place from the outside, and the bar was clean and staff where nice, food was great, i noticed that a wedding was on but thought nothing of it and went to my room... I, like someone before me on this website thought I will suffer it tonight as it is a wedding, it happens, and tried to laugh it off a bit. well at 3.30am and the music still pounding i was not laughing. the next morning i was exhausted and went down to sepak with the receptionist who apologized and said that we should not have been put on that side of the hotel as the event was on, so they are aware it is noisey. i asked if there was another function on tonight and she said no, so i went out for dinner. On returning to the hotel i was amazed as yet again there was another party going on and the noise was even louder!! i went straight to the reception desk to ask what was going on as I was told there was no event on? they informed me that it was only a small party for 20 or 30 people and would stop at midnight. i was angry that i was lied to about the event but was happy to know it would stop at 12am, much better than 3.30 the night before. so 12 came around. then 12,15, then 12.30, so i called and asked what was going on? i was told just 5 minutes... so when 1,10am hit and Tina Turner had just finished 'simply the best' i called down yet again only to be fed some more BS about it finishing. evetually it did stop around 1,30 but i was so angry i couldnt get a good nights rest. you have to expereince this level of noise to appreciate it, i understand that you may think i am over exaggerating but beleive me, i'm not!! so next morning again i mentoined it to the reception on checking out and the best she could do was take my 21 euro bar bill of the check. Such a shame for what could be a great hotel, nice building, good sized rooms, great pool and spa, but i cannot recomend this hotel to anyone if they think it is exceptable to have noise like that, they are completely forgetting about the people that just want a nice break away. Will not be back in a hurry!!

Room Tip: Dont! and if you have to then make sure you explicitely ask to be as far away from the function roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Before I write this review I have to say that this hotel has been designed wrongly. To have bedrooms almost immediately above a function hall is, quite honestly, absurd. If you are a guest at a wedding reception then that would not be a problem because you would be enjoying yourself until the early hours of the morning. However, when you are staying in the hotel as a normal guest then having drums and heavy base playing until 2.00 am is far from ideal. This was our first night, Friday, of three. I asked in the morning if there was a function on Saturday night. No - was the response. Wrong! When we arrived back at the hotel on the Saturday evening there was a function on with another live band. We asked when this was going to finish and were told -12.30am. Wrong - still going until 1.00am. At our third time of asking the event finished. There was no function on our third and final night. Bliss. This all seems a bit negative when in fact the hotel rooms are excellent, the food is also high quality and the bar area is superb. The swimming pool and related facilities are magnificent and our room was spotless - just in the wrong location! If you are considering staying at The Oriel I would seriously check if there are any functions on and then ask for a room which is as far away as possible. Overall, a lovely hotel to stay in - just unfortunate the designers made a hash of locating the function suite where they did! To be fair to the receptionist when we checked out she deducted drinks that we had purchased from the bar on arrival - about 25 euros.

Room Tip: Ask for a room a distance away from any functions that might be taking place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Certainly not the experience I was hoping for, poor quality and presentation overall. Staff just about ok. This was a planned birthday treat for a valued friend but one certainly not to be repeated. Very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cailin B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel on fri & sat night & have to say it was the worst experience ever!! We had dinner in the bar both nights & must say the food was good on both occasions!! Staff were on the other hand very laid back either checking their phones or organising to pop out for a "fag"!! As I heard one guy Ger mention on a few occasion as I stood waiting to order drinks!! It wasn't a very busy night in the bar but service was very slow especially when I had my food but no cutlery or waiting for drinks that I had to go get myself!! This place could do with improving staff training & a few basics & maybe a manager to organise things.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Noverme
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Yesterday myself and my husband checked in as part of their online Thank Crunchie Its Friday deal which was €89 for bed and breakfast for 2 people sharing, 2 crunchies and 2 cocktail vouchers. We got there early and had lunch in the bar. The staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable on the food and I was very impressed with the piping hot tasty lunch. A nice girl served us with a smile and was very pleasant. We got to check in before the 4pm check in time which is always nice and our room was definitely 4 star. The only thing was that they only had 1 crunchie-which was just a minor detail but why call it thank Crunchie its Friday? Anyway we hit the leisure centre and enjoyed all its facilities and even fell asleep in the comfortable recliners by the pool. We took the complementary cocktail vouchers to the bar but they had no cocktail menu and were limited in what they could make as they had no blender. A lovely guy called Vincent looked after us and sourced fresh ingredients to make 2 lovely Sex on the Beach cocktails. They were made very well and he was very helpful and not a bit put out having to make them. This made up for the bit of confusion about the cocktail vouchers! Another guy called Ger approached us at the bar asking if we were ok and I noticed he was very attentive to all other customers in the bar. He seemed to be everywhere and was so pleasant and professional and the personal touch did not go unnoticed. Both these guys made excellent staff and even my husband noticed them and was impressed. This is what we need more of!

Ger had asked us if we were interested in dining at the restaurant and we would have been but we had booked elsewhere a week ago before we booked the hotel!

The list of activities and things to do in the room directory was impressive and we availed of some local attractions during our brief stay. Breakfast was tasty and staff-all young were on the ball and worked hard. Overall very satisfied, relaxed and happy!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick-Dillon, General Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Delighted to read your nice comments about the team here at the hotel - the feedback has been placed on our staff noticeboards so everyone can see your nice comments from your stay here with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I recently stayed in the oriel hotel on a family holiday. The rooms were huge, very clean, very comfortable, modern and had loely views. My family includes a wheelchair user and all staff were very accommodating. Any issues we had were cleared up immediately in a friendly and professional manner, and overal the service including the waiting and reception staff was excellent. Breakfast was buffet style and was of a very high standard, and gluten free bread was available which made a big difference. The food in the restaurant and the bar food was delicious, and the service was excellent. Overall I would recommend this hotel, however not for anyone planning to spend a lot of time in the city as it is about 20 mins away by car.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank eimearhubb
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that all the team in each facility looked after you very well throughout your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oriel House Hotel in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Staff were great couldnt do enough for us. Food was lovely esp seafood chowder. Rooms were excellent bathrooms has heated floors and seperate bath/shower. Arguably one of the best hotels ive stayed in

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Such a lovely compliment - thank you - all the team here are delighted to read your nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oriel House Hotel Leisure Club & Spa in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Midleton Park Hotel
Lancaster Lodge
#8 of 23 in Cork
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!