“If you enjoy food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballymakeigh House

Ballymakeigh House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killeagh
Ballymakeigh House
Ranked #2 of 2 Killeagh B&B and Inns
Midlands
“If you enjoy food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

We were attracted to Ballymakeigh by glowing reports of Mrs Brown's cooking and the food was excellent throughout our 3-day stay. Ballymakeigh House is certainly a good place to relax for a few days and the interesting town of Youghal and some beautiful coastline are within 20 minutes drive. The journey from Rosslare, on a busy evening, took 2.25 hours.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank JeffMidlands

Couples
Solo
Business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2007

An excerpt of the letter I sent to Maragaret Browne...I can not wait to return.

Dear Margaret and Michael,

On behalf of the whole family , I would like to say how very much we enjoyed our stay in your wonderful place. I will not hesitate to recommend it to our family and friends. Your gracious hospitality was beyond compare. You did much to make our trip to your wonderful country a blessing, indeed. We can not wait to return.

Margaret, thank you for the cookbook. That was very gracious of you. We are so sorry we missed you!

Michael, we really enjoyed visiting with you. The kids are still talking about how entertaining you were.

The food was excellent and the beds were the most comfortable of the entire trip!

I would like to extend a special thanks to Sasha and her team. They provided excellent meals and outstanding service! Kudos to them...

Thanks again.

Blessings,

David.

• Liked — Location, Food and Beds!
  • Disliked — Liked everything about it.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2006

We are 3 American big-city couples who enjoy Europe together every Fall. This year was Ireland and we were delighted by our stay at Ballymakeigh! Our initial reaction that we were in the middle of nowhere was quickly displaced by a warm welcome and delightful meal. We had 3 days of beautiful fall weather and interesting day trips, but the highlight was returning to Ballymakeigh every night for a good meal and a great wine list! Margaret and her staff were warm and friendly, and even the other Guests we met became part of our vacation photo albums! The setting was inviting, the rooms comfortable, and yes, we survived 3 days without CNN!

• Liked — The food and wine.
  • Disliked — The bathrooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Remote, but good location for day trips. Value is in eating in every night (pls there is no where else to go!)
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank SRMC
Adelaide, South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2006

The highlight of our August 2006 trip to Ireland with friends from the USA was without doubt beautiful Ballymakeigh House. Margaret Browne has won numerous accolades for her warm hospitality and cooking skills and all of them are very well deserved and absolutely true. She personifies what we all wish to find in a bed & breakfast experience, complemented by her husband, Michael, and the very capable Sasha (not to mention canine companion Ozzie, who also has personality plus). Congratulations to all at Ballymakeigh House!

• Liked — The warm hospitality and the food
  • Disliked — Bathroom is rather small
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2006

I am more than a little biased about Balllymakeigh, as Margaret and Mike can now be counted as good friends and my most favourite people in Ireland!!

I first stayed at Ballymakeigh four years ago, when I was filming for the BBC in Cork and Kerry. It was my first visit to Eire and Ballymakeigh, my first night.

Well.... it just happened to be one of the best nights of my life - meeting the sweetest, most generous and lovely people - not just The Brownes, but their friends and family too.

The reason I was there originally, was to film a cooking segment with Margaret - and of course, she was a complete star on camera. Soon after filming though, we all fell into a party - and somehow, amongst all the chaos that sixteen people bring with them, Margaret managed to serve a five course meal!

I stayed there with my daughter last year, after a very tiring 6 months on the road with work. As soon as I walked in the door, took tea with the Duchess ( my name for Magaret!) and sat down in the sunny conservatory, I was so relaxed that soon after, I fell asleep! I was woken up by the delicious smells floating from her kitchen and then preceded to dine on some quite scrumptious food.

Life at Ballymakeigh is never uneventful - one night the Duchess helped a chap from Dublin propose to his girlfriend - supplying champagne and the pudding that the ring was hidden in.
She is so attentive to every detail, but never intrudes - always the right balance.

Since last year, both Margaret and Mike have come to stay with me a couple of times and this weekend, I'm going back with a friend for what I know will be a lovely time.

I insist you stay with the Brownes at Ballymakeigh - but be warned, once you have tasted the food, slept in the beds and spent time in the company of everyone there - no OTHER place will ever come close to your time spent in this piece of Irish heaven.

Ballymakeigh is not just a gem, but the shiniest diamond in Ireland's sky....

Lotte Duncan

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank lottecook
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2006

My wife and I and 2 friends stayed in Ballymakeigh House over the August Bank Holiday week end and we had the most relaxing break ever No radios, no phones, no tvs just heaps of mazigines to browse through and we had such good breakfasts and super dinners washed down with wines from a short but interesting selection Margaret Browne and her very efficent staff made us feel very much at home except Home was never like that We left relaxed and refreshed and we will certainly be back

• Liked — peaceful comfortable beds great food and wine
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Tips/Secrets — book well in advance
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
Windsor, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2006

We stayed here in July and had a very nice time. Myself , husband and 5 year old had a wonderful experience. The farm had many cows which we saw close up and going out to pasture. The farm also had two adorable dogs who were friendly and gentle. The breakfast was very good. The homemade fresh warm scones were delish!!!!

• Liked — Farm and breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Must visit Youghal
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank knrd

Been to Ballymakeigh House? Share your experiences!