“That Good Had Two Nights In A Row”
Review of The Bayview Bar

The Bayview Bar
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Dungloe
Price range: US$28 - US$35
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a meal here last year when staying near Dungloe and it was lovely and wholesome, so as back in the area recently we decided to visit again, though ensured we booked - thank goodness we did for both nights this time round. Service on both nights was super and enough said, staff are pleaseant and nothing is too much throuble.
First night I went for the special of half a lobster and sirloin steak. Both were cooked beautifully, with my steak done exactly, as asked, medium rare. The lobster was delicious! The better 'alf had the pork, which was stuffed and cooked in a breadcrumb and she enjoyed this with mash, while I had the garlic chips, which were a good combination for my meal. The good lady had a dessert, which was fruit salad and ice-cream and it was quite refreshing. I on the other hand had a bottle of sauvignon blanc with my meal and the good lady had two pure orange. I had a pint before the meal. The cost was 78 euro, a snip for what we had.
On the second night, I had the lambshank and it was like last year, melt in the mouth, though the accompanying sauce was tastier with a slighyly more aromatic kick. The onion rings, I had as a side were light and crisp. The other half had the cod and wow was it massive, but cooked and tasted scrummy. The chips she had were a bit of a let down and looked, as if they had been reheated. We both had starters, her having the spicy chicken wings and they looked good and must have tasted great too, as they were stripped to the bone. I had the chowder, which was light and delicious, though it might be a bit creamy for some and suited me.
A great place for super food, if you are in Dungloe, but if going at the weekend, it might be advisable to book, which we did for both nights, as it was pretty busy. I am already looking forward to my next visit, which unfortunately is likely to be next year.
A well done to the Bayview for its' food, standard of service, pleasant staff and maintaining high standards.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Really good pub food with a quality and vegetables! We were staying nearby and went to this place twice. Had seafood on both occasions. Couldn't believe the full lobster thermidor at 25 euros!! Great owner who does everything with a smile. Also a good pint of Guinness!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went to a birthday party there and was very pleased with the choice of menu, quality of food and competence of the staff. Really great portion sizes and delicious food. I had a seafood pasta in a creamy white wine sauce and it was very tasty with lots of extras on the table such as garlic bread, garlic potatoes and chips. Everybody else was equally pleased with their orders and the quality. Really would recommend giving this place a try as according to locals in the know it is a consistantly great place to eat.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The bar had been recommended to me by someone from Arranmore Island. We (14 Divers) were welcomed into the bar by very friendly staff who looked after us all evening. The food was very good with a large range to choose from. The ambiance was good with clean and well decorated and looked like it had a recent refit. The toilets were also very high standards which is always good to see. They were very attentive with extra servings of chips and veg for free and would have kept coming if needed. Highly recomended

1  Thank Bob R
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Many moons ago when we were more regular visitors to the area, the Bayview was a favourite watering hole. A place where we could lunch on the simple things of beer, homemade soup and toasties, or return to in the evenings after dinner to quench our thirsts once more to the sound of some live music (including the late Brendan Maxwell of Highland Radio). A more recent visit, perhaps 7 years ago, saw a change to the menu, or rather the addition of a menu - brought courtesy of the trusty microwave and 'ready meals.

Been through Dungloe a few times since. The outside of the bar had not substantially changed, so in our ignorance, we give the bar and what we had presumed would be the micrwaved burgers a miss. What an error that proved to be because when we finally did book a table on basis of recent reviews, we were treated to an excellent dinner in excellent surroundings (unlike the exterior, the inside has been entirely refashioned). The Bruckless mussels, the fresh chowder, sole on the bone and the moistest lamb cutlets. All top notch, all served up in a really nice atmosphere by more than helpful staff (the people of Dungloe were all as welcoming as ever to be fair!). Despite also catering for a large birthday party, the service was attentive. And (accompanied by a talented chanter entertaining us) just to top it all Italy beat England in the football which added to the atmosphere! We will return....