“Delightful”
Review of Sandhouse Hotel

Sandhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rossnowlagh
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Love this hotel warm hospitality, great views and the food is amazing.You really feel at home here as soon as you arrive with open fire and the friendliness of the staff.My room was warm and cosy had everything I needed it was also quiet so I slept well. The Sandhouse is literally located on the beach so it is great place if you like to walk especially when the weather is good like it was for my visit. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank MchelT
There are newer reviews for Sandhouse Hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2014

So highly recommend this hotel. Staff are attentive, courteous and hard working. Will return without doubt. If you want a relaxing break in a beautiful unspoilt location, visit the Sand House Hotel. Oh, and the price was great

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JackieSloan
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Sandhouse Hotel was a very welcome resting place with a real beach town feel and relaxing atmosphere. The restaurant looks directly over the beach and is very elegant, yet informal. The sunset was spectacular and service was good - other than you had to go hunt down a bartender every once in a while. The room we booked via Hotels.com was not relayed to the hotel correctly, but they were amazing and got us a room that exceeded all expectations - 2 King beds and right on the beach with five stairs to a semi-private balcony with food/drink service. This place is great!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed in a Deluxe Sea View Room for the week end of my 60th Birthday. It was a perfect choice. The room was delightful with a four poster bed and two sea view windows, one with two easy chairs and a small table, the other a chaise longue. It was immaculately clean and the tea/coffee & bathroom supplies were well stocked. The staff were welcoming, friendly and informative in a very 'real' way. We felt looked after for the whole of our stay. The food was incredible, well cooked, presented and served. I had the Marine Spa Marvel which was totally relaxing and made me feel very special. My Partner was looking forward to using the jacuzzi and steam room. However, because the jacuzzi was 'on the blink' he was offered a seaweed bath which he really enjoyed. If you are looking for a laid back, relaxing time, where you are made to feel special and looked after this is not a place to miss.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynxNorthWestIreland
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Our stay at the Sandhouse Hotel over Valentines weekend surpassed my expectations and left me charmed.

The 1.5 hour journey to get there turned into 4 thanks to the snow. We were pretty tired and grumpy by the time we got there, but the sight of the open fire in reception and the relaxed warmth of the welcome put us right into the holiday mood - it was like Christmas.

The room was huge and we could hear (but not yet see) the sea outside. We dropped our bags and went for a much needed G&T in the bar. We discovered on our way that this hotel is a tardis - in a good way; there are lots of "private" public spaces, where you can be out of your room and feel sociable (aka nosy) but still have privacy (aka peace and quie)t. Coming from London, where most places are overcrowded and loud, this was a joy. We happily sat in front of the fire in the comfy reception area, exchanging the weather and travel news with each new arrival.

We were booked in for Valentines dinner and had a very good steak each as part of a very reasonably priced three course menu - particularly considering that this was (a) a hotel restaurant and (b) Valentines night. I feared that the dining room would have the damp, cold, "trying too hard" feel that I find a conservatory restaurant often offers. I was so pleased that the dining room was in fact warm, welcoming and gave a sense of occassion. That sense of occassion was continued, from being given a glass of champagne on arrival through to the owner coming around each table to ask everyone how they were enjoying their meal.

Without doubt though, the selling point of this hotel - even above the surprisingly comfortable and peaceful surroudings within the hotel itself - is the view. We were on the third floor with a stunning view out over Rossnowlagh Beach. After breakfast, with the now breathtaking view from conservatory dining room, and a walk on the beach, we spent the remainder of Saturday in the hotel room looking out over the scene. It was about one degee celsius and there were about 50 surfers out there, although the beach is that big that they looked tiny in the water. I watched it right the way through to sunset, from my viewing point on the bed.

I got the impression that the staff had worked there for a long time and genuinely enjoyed it. I suspect that I suspect reviews about the standard / style of service generally - what is attentive service for one is bothersome for others. I would say that for me, the Sandhouse get it just right - it's the right degree of attentive, friendly, and genuinely so.

It was only after spending some time and finding ourselves surprised by the peaceful comfort and rather old school charm, that we realised we had been expecting something less so. I think I was expecting a new build "corporate" identikit hotel, of the type you can find a lot in Ireland (which I can say because I'm Irish btw), relying on the location for wow factor. The location does give wow factor - it is stunning - but the experience of staying in the hotel itself was just delightful.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just back from 2night stay with close friends.Everything about our stay was perfect.Staff all very friendly, food superb,sea view rooms immaculate.Just the ticket to completely chill out and come home revived.Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Always request sea view room.
1  Thank jacksmumballymena
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were looking for somewhere to have a meal last night and thought of the Sand house. A great decision. Very friendly staff. Lovely dining room with great views since is was moved upstairs. The menu was so nice that it was difficult to choose. Well presented and as tasted as described. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in Bundoran
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#6 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Sandhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!