“A Great Hotel”
Review of Sandhouse Hotel

Sandhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rossnowlagh
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the second time we had stayed at The Sandhouse and it did not disappoint.
We stayed in a Deluxe Sea View room and it was great, really spacious, spotlessly clean, super comfy bed and of course the spectacular views of the sea.
The breakfast was wonderful, cooked fresh to order.
The only downside is that although there is free wifi the coverage isn't always great, but hey, thats Donegal!
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and look forward to returning very soon!

Room Tip: Its worth paying a little extra for the sea view
3  Thank hmcveigh

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had an amazing stay in this hotel - would thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering it and I am already planning a trip back. The bed in my room was astonishingly comfortable - so much so that I want to find out where they sourced them from as I want one for my house!!

My only gripe was about the restaurant. The food is amazing - absolutely delicious but not cheap though I have no complaints about this as you get what you pay for.

My complaint is that they operate a first-come, first-served policy in the dining room. As we were a group of three they consistently gave us bad tables - the sort that are in the middle of the room, away from the windows (the views are amazing), with lots of people pushing past and noise all around. I was with my parents, one of whom has significant hearing problems so this didn't help. Even when I pointed out that the table was unsuitable they only grudgingly moved us to another table and made it seem like a real bother. Even when we arrived early and the place was empty the staff fobbed us off with a bad table near the kitchen and away from the windows - eventually I stopped pointing it out because they really didn't seem to care. Though the same staff did provide efficient service.

However, that is just my one minor complaint. I would still thoroughly recommend this hotel - it is ideally placed for seeing lots of County Donegal and County Sligo, I would just be wary before planning to eat in the restaurant.

I will definitely be back - I will just go out to eat!!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms can cost a bit extra but the views are extraordinary and the sound of the sea at...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dara m
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Really nice setting on the beach and booked a deluxe sea view room, which also was also very nice. However, we had a horrible first night due to the noise. Located near the bar, there was very loud music in the bar until 2 am and then once that was finished, we were left with the hotel's beer garden which was also very near the room, where there was very loud noise from guests for long after that. The beer garden was one thing, and we maybe could have put up with that with all the windows closed, but there was no AC in this deluxe room, so it was like a sauna in there with the windows closed. However there was no excuse for having this deluxe room so near the music from the bar and it would have been impossible to get any sleep until that was finished and guests should not have to wait until 2 am before having any opportunity to go to sleep. Asked for a room change for the next night and we were given a room far away from the bar which was perfectly fine and we had no issues for the second night. Maybe we were just very unlucky with our room for the first night, but having paid so much for a deluxe room, then really luck shouldn't have come in to it. No adjustment was made to the bill on checkout and like another reviewer mentioned, we were not asked on checkout as to whether we enjoyed our stay and I suppose that tells its own story. In relation to the food, we did find it good but not as good as many mentioned in the reviews on tripadvisor and a bit more choice could definitely be added to the breakfast. We had very high hopes when we are arrived but when we left, we felt it could and should have been a lot better than it was.

3  Thank Monkerhostin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Lovely quaint hotel. Very clean and staff very nice. The menu is extensive, but if you are coeliac there are only 2 choices of starters and 3 main courses. Chef did not appear to be willing to make a gluten free sauce. You have to accept that you can only have a,b or c... Be careful when you book it can be extremely noisy outside due to beach parties. WE were not asked if we enjoyed our stay when paying our bill.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay the extra for a seaview - it might be quiter
4  Thank Paddy P
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Best stay in Ireland, from the warm greeting by the concierge, who showed us to our room herself ( first time here in Ireland), to the staff in the bar and restaurant and the wonderful food that was served. ..Oh..did I mention the views from the rooms......

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a brilliant place for a relaxing holiday,suitable for every sort of age, with or without families.
The location is terrific. Donegal is a must for those who haven't been there. The hotel is located on an extensive sandy beach and their boast that you can always find a quiet place is quite accurate. The hotel has a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Rooms set aside for families with pets is a good example. We loved our room with its huge bay window seat overlooking the sea and impressive period furniture. And what's more, the pub served us magnificent coffee!

1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend and loved the old feel of the place. The view of the beach was stunning (I would definitely recommend requesting a sea view room when booking). The Glasshouse restaurant served fantastic food although with the main attraction of the room being the view of the beach, it would have been great if the windows had been cleaned! Great for families/ couples or friends, the beach is breathtaking.

Room Tip: Would recommend asking for a sea view room.
2  Thank 551KirstyM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Donegal Town
Creevy Pier Hotel
Creevy Pier Hotel
#1 of 4 in Ballyshannon

Been to Sandhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!