“Central and value for moeny”
Review of The 44

The 44
Ranked #9 of 19 Swords B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for long weekend and found it to be reasonable. When we arrived and checked in, the staff brought us to our room. Slight problem with the door handle however they acknowleded and proceeded to fix.

Room was very very comfortable however a little on the small side. Bed was very comfy, only negative which I pointed out when I checked out was the duvet was a heavy winter duvet and in May it just was too much and when I asked for alternative it wasn't available.

Already booked to stay here again in August :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deirdre M
There are newer reviews for The 44

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'm very surprised by the negative reviews here. I have stayed at The 44 several times and enjoyed myself without any problems. I loved the rooms (especially the bathrooms!) and the very comfortable, pleasant bar with very nice food and a lovely atmosphere. Yes, noise can be an issue at night but nothing outrageous. I look forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: I have stayed in a few different rooms and was equally happy with them all. Two rooms have balconies...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Grainne_262
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The room and bathroom appeared to be fairly recently renovated. Had a pleasant view through the window. Bathroom was quite big and spotlessly clean. Room itself was also spotlessly clean.
WiFi in room was unreliable. There was some loud noise from some noisy guests in the hall in the middle of the night - so the room is not very soundproof to internal building noise. The noise from the hall is of course not really the fault of the hotel itself, but just something to be aware of - I notice a few other reviewers have mentioned it too. It did not go all night, just some very loud conversation and door banging for 5mins or so which happened a couple of times during the night.

But nice room, good service and good value mean that we would stay again.

Oh, check out the little cafe in the arcade across the road. It's the first on the left - cooked an AMAZING breakfast!

For somewhere so close to the capital city and airport, its a nice enough area to go for a stroll or a run too, both of which we did during our stay. The nearby castle and its grounds are good to stroll around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have probably stayed at 500+ hotels in a lifetime of business and family travel. I have not stayed at a place worse than this. Noisy, doors banging all night below room. Urchins running up and down the fire escape outside the room. Filthy carpet in hall. No security as there is no staff on after closing time. Not safe for solo female travelers

Room Tip: Chose somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Coffee C
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Some confusion checking in as it had to be done at the bar. There is a gated separate side entrance you can use once you're given your key. The room was so spacious and clean. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom and shower were lovely. The radiator was piping hot so the room was lovely and warm and you could adjust it easily and open windows. The smoking area was underneath so you are exposed to street noise. It's centrally located and we got free parking around the corner at a sister hotel. If you're looking to stay a night out in Swords you need not look anywhere else. I thought the staff were very helpful and chatty and the bar was bustling with a traditional live band there.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Overlykeen
Reviewed 18 February 2014

As a well traveled senior, I can excuse many things in a hotel. However this Hotel has no excuses and deserves no pardon for the following: Rudeness, unprofessionalism, inadequate staffing, staff REFUSAL to help me with bags, extremely poorly trained wait staff, waiting for more than two hours for a prepaid reserved room then being transferred to another room as it still wasn't cleaned despite the manger being fully aware of the situation having personally checked me, inability to get food or drink as an event was taking place in the bar/restaurant and guests were left to fend for themselves, staff sweeping, mopping and carrying garbage out of the restaurant at 9am as diners were eating, the upstairs hallway carpet was filthy, absolutely no parking access close to the hotel, even for loading and unloading bags. I had to park in a paid car park station a block away.

One female staffer was surly, rude, and the least helpful person I have ever met in a hotel staff, not once smiling or attempting to be friendly, disappearing while on duty as guests were impatiently waiting for service, I finally hunted her down and demanded my bill and help with my bags which she refused to do saying she was the only one on staff even though I had counted at least 4 other staff present, sweeping, mopping, stocking the bar, etc.

After I got my car and parked as close to the hotel as possible at 10am, it was still nearly a block away, I asked for help with my bags again from the bar man and he agreed to do so.

There was no hotel information in my room at all: no check out time, wifi info, how to reach the front desk, or even the address or phone number.

Staff is incapable of taking care of guests and an event at the same time and it is the paying guests who suffer.

The room itself was pleasant though the shower is very poorly designed. There is no shelf to place personal care items, which for someone with a bad back or other challenge causes distress; the shower head is situated in the middle of the ceiling meaning you have to reach through too hot or too cold water to adjust the temperature controls. Not pleasant either way.

I've travelled in china mexico, tibet, and other areas as well as Ireland scotland and the states. I have never seen such poor service from so many. The hotel staff are a disgrace to their profession. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Room Tip: DON"T book here. Go anywhere else, you will be much happier.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank TSG1954
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I visited your restaurant today, when i visited the bathrooms the were absolutley filthy. I pointed this out to the senior member of staff, who made excuses and was very rude to me. He maid an excuse that the hotel didn't have any other staff on duty. As im a regular customer i will not be visiting your hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013
8  Thank Pammy2218
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
#4 of 7 in Swords
Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to The 44? Share your experiences!