“Lovely staff”

Ranked #10 of 19 Swords B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff were all very friendly and helpful.Excellent all round B&B. Never experienced such a friendly and helpful B&B anywhere in Ireland or anywhere else to that matter. Very friendly with very clean rooms, and excellent home cooking. All in all had a great stay and would definitely go back .Thx Christina &Vicky

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank k m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

we booked here the night before our early flight. It is handy for the airport being less then 10 mins away by car. our family room was small on the ground floor at the front of the house so we heard everybody entering and leaving constantly waking us up all night. the room is a little dated en suite a little shabby grout missing etc. Breakfast was not included and is charged at 5 euro for a full irish or 3 euro for a continental.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank wexfordgirl
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I booked a double room on March 26th for three nights for the17,18 and 19th May leaving my credit card details with the owner Kieran Hefferman as security for my booking.
On the afternoon of the 16th May I received a phone call from the owner saying he had just got back from Spain and that I had cancelled my booking. I replied that I had not been in contact with the Glenshandan and had certainly not cancelled my booking. He replied he would help me find alternative accommodation which initially I agreed too. However 15 minutes later I had reconsidered and rang him again to say that I wanted the room that I had booked and that he should find alternative for the people who had booked after me. He told me that I was being unhelpful
I said I would ring next morning before setting off to drive to Holyhead a seven hour journey .When I rang at 9am he again told me I was being unhelpful and I had turned down his offer of help and he had no room for myself and my partner and that was that.
When I returned home on the 25th May there were two messages on my answer phone with offers of help. Too late!
I believe if the owner a gets a more lucrative booking he is happy to cancel an existing booking
which is dishonest business practice or alternatively he is incompetent.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel you may be let down.
Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ALAN H
New Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2013

When we arrived we were met by an unfriendly almost surprised woman, who couldn't find keys to our room. We waited in the lobby for a while, just about thinking there had been some terrible mistake in our reservation. When we finally made into a room, we asked what time breakfast was, and the woman stated breakfast wasn't included and we would have to pay an additional 5 euro per person (there was 3 of us). This truly made us pretty upset, especially when it was a "bed & BREAKFAST!" At any rate the room was very outdated, one of the beds was up against a wall, leaving me to climb in & over my husband with great difficulty. Beds were uncomfortable. The light over the bathroom mirror was not working, either was the outlet. We decided that we would not be interested in paying the extra money for breakfast, and we just walked to McDonalds (which was less than a 5 minute walk). When we checked out the next morning, the woman tried to actually charge us the fee for breakfast when we never even went into the dining room. We finally had the charges taken off, but this left a pretty bad feeling about this place. We would not tell anyone to stay here. It was a 12.00 taxi cab ride to the airport which was about 7 minutes away by car. We stayed all over Ireland for a week, and this place was not what we expected by any means.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank p_n_o_m_a_n_34470
Surrey
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We booked into Glenshandan as we were over in Dublin for a family wedding and the hotel holding the reception was fully booked. We made our booking on the basis of the majority of the reviews on Tripadvisor but I now wonder what kind of places these reviewers are used to staying in. The decor was extremely tired and dated - looked like it hadn't been touched since the 80's - lots of orange pine, floral borders and swags over the beds. Our room on the ground floor was obviously a family room that had a bed removed. The remaining small double bed was pushed into the corner of the room and we had to move it so that my husband could get in and out of bed without climbing over me. The bed was extremely uncomfortable - we both woke up with severe back ache and it had a 13.5 tog winter duvet on which was unbearably hot causing us to have a couple of very uncomfortable nights. The heating was also on which in our opinion was totally unnecessary and we had to sleep with the window wide open even though we were on the ground floor. The only mirror in the room was in a dark recess in the corner of the room with only a very dim low-voltage bulb in a small table lamp to light it - totally useless for putting makeup on or doing your hair. I resorted to moving a wooden chair into the bathroom to sit at the well lit mirror in there and plugging my hairdryer into the socket just outside the door - hardly ideal and not very safe!! The shower was very hit and miss temperaturewise and had a fixed shower head which is something I hate. I'd say the cleanliness was pretty average overall - the valance on the bed was extremely grubby and the velvet wing chair, which had definitely seen better days, was full of dust.

In spite of the car park being totally full we only ever saw 2 other guests although there was quite a lot of door banging during the night. The breakfast was fine - either cooked or 'continental' - cereal, yoghurts, tinned or fresh fruit and toast. The location was great as it's only a short distance to the airport.

I really can't see how this b&b has been awarded 4 stars - it's more like a 2 star in my opinion and needs to spend some money on re-decorating and updating the beds.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rockchickhoppo
Sala, Sweden
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This is the most kind and home friendly B&B I have ever spent a holiday at.
Kieran with family and staff only had kind words and smiles whenever anyone needed help, no matter if they where staying at this B&B or just needed help with connecting to the internet.
Rooms are cozy, warm and clean.
Breakfast is good and the location could not have been better if you are looking for a place that is peaceful but still close to all holiday needs.

Thank you Kieran for making our stay so easy and for making us feel like home.
Hugs to all of you, hope to see you soon again.
Anja

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Spent last two nights in Ireland at Glenshandan before moving back to the US. The Glenshandan is family run and the atmosphere is traditional Irish. For breakfast you have an excellent choice from the buffet of cereal, juices, yogurt, and fruits as well as a cooked full Irish or your choice. The room was light and airy with complimentary coffee or tea and biscuits.
The location is perfect for exploring the town of Swords with shopping,restaurants and Post office within a short walking distance and just 5 minutes to Dublin Airport.

Originally, I was scheduled for one night but when my flight was cancelled due to Delta, I was lucky I could book a second night. I had my two cats and both were nervous about the move and upcoming flight now scheduled on Aer Lingus. The older very large cat had found an excellent hiding place in the bathroom where I couldn't reach him the morning of our departure. I had a taxi waiting and two of the young women who work there helped calm him and get him securely into his crate.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Dublin Airport Manor
Dublin Airport Manor
#5 of 7 in Swords

Been to Glenshandan Lodge? Share your experiences!