“Awful”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Swords
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Dated, dirty, cold.....not even a bath mat provided. Cheap but you can get nicer B&B for the same. Try Number 44 in Swords village. Also, Wrights in Swords do a reasonably priced meal with a good atmosphere. Only positive is, there is a bus stop over the road to catch bus to Dublin....easier than taking the car. Beware if you catch a taxi, we were charged per person.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Juleschaos
David R, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Jules,

Many thanks for taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay.
I was disappointed to read your comments about your room. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly in other to find out some more information in relation to your room.
On a positive note, I'm glad you found our location convenient for Dublin. I'm surprised with your comment about Taxi's as they should only charge for the trip.

David Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed for one night as we had a reasonably early flight the next morning.ate in the restaurant which was good, check in girl was very offhanded. About midnight I awoke to the smell of .cigarette smoke, ten minutes later the fire alarm went off. Contacted the night staff and was told, " yes someone is smoking, I'll have to come" huge commotion in the corridor,with the alarm still sounding. No contact at all from the desk clerk reassuring that all was ok, so a very edgy night. Breakfast was fine . Being on the ground floor the noise from above is constant .

Dianne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
I'm sorry that you were awoken by the fire alarm. It is unfortunate that despite our non smoking policy some guests continue to ignore the policy. Our Fire system detects this hence the unfortunate sounding and i'm sorry it disturbed you.
I'm glad you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet in our Bar Café

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

A friend and myself checked in for a one night stay last weekend. Having found a cheap rate as we were attending a function close by.
Upon check in although we had fully pre paid for the room and credit card details were on file we were required to pay a further €50 dep which would be refunded after check out. This is fine is you are made aware of it by the hotel upon making your reservation so that you know in advance to have it.
We were then informed there was no key for our room each and every time we wanted access to our room a staff member had to let us in?? Since when is this okay in any hotel to which you are paying for the room.

The room was freezing, the staff member who let us into our room put the radiator on for us but the room never became warm.
There was 1 towel in the room, 1 cup for tea and yet we booked a twin room. Very very basic hotel and rooms need a touch of updating.

After our function we returned to the hotel, unfortunately while out my bag had been stolen and so I had no ID to verify who I was and was not allowed to go to my room.
Eventually after showing the staff at the door my facebook profile on a friends phone he allowed me to the room to collect my belongings!!!! Yes we did not stay the night, and the security stood over us in the room while packing up our belongings.

We had done nothing in this hotel but get ready for our function, having fully pre paid the room we didn't even get to sleep here it was a disgrace.

Even for a small airport hotel there are basic needs this has none of them.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa H
David R, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Lisa,

Thank you for feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am so sorry that your evening was ruined by having your bag stolen. I apologise for the over zealousness of our night team in trying to confirm your identity, we should have been more understanding of your situation. And the maintenance issue with your lock was unacceptable too.
I would like to discuss your stay further with you, so I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly at the hotel or message me here on Tripadvisor .

Regards,

David Ryan

Travellers are raving about these Swords hotels

Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We checked in here on a sunday evening as we were getting a 6.25 flight and thought it would be a good idea to stay in dublin and get some sleep so we would not have to travel 2 and a half hours up on monday morning. I found this hotel at a good price of €48. Our check in was quick and she was nice but unfortunately it went down hill after that. Our room was on the ground floor we happened to park the car outside our room which was good so we could keep an eye as it seemed a little rough as we drove around to the larger car park at the back to see two adults with a child with the fire door open smoking a cigrette. Our door was hard to open but with a giggle it was ok. The room itself was a bit tired looking but was fairly clean. Nice bed and a good tv with many channels to go with it. Walls are paper thin as we hear 2 girls enter their room beside us and we could hear them talking about getting some food. Children were running around up and down to the adjoining restaurant, we did eat here and it was good as a means to near by.The bed was comfortable but it would have been great to be able to sleep in it, the noise from the roads yes roads as the hotel is situated on a roundabout was unbearable it was constant and was impossible to s get some sleep, as a last attempt to get some sleep around 12 we took the blankets and pillows from the bed and make a bed in the bathroom as there is a heavy thick door to the bathroom which blocked out the sound of the traffic.This was not idea as my partner is over 6 feet tall but i personally was able to get some sleep. We had asked for a wake up call for which we did get. On waking up in the bathroom we then saw some previous guests jocks stuffed up under the hand basin. This was not a comfortable stay and i was very disappointed with it,

1 Thank Mairead H
Mairead,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to hear that you didn't have a good night's sleep because of the traffic noise. We only have a limited number of rooms that are adjacent to the road so we could have allocated you a room to the rear of the hotel. However I was pleased that you found our beds comfortable and our team helpful.
I would like to discuss your stay further with you, so please contact me directly at the hotel or message me here on Tripadvisor .

Regards,

Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We booked into the Travel Lodge as we had a fairly early flight home the next morning. Our criteria for a 1 night hotel are, cleanliness, comfortable bed and a hot working shower. We got all three, plus a perfectly good breakfast the next morning. Staff were without exception friendly and helpful. We did not have dinner at the lodge as our taxi driver recommended "The Well" at The Lord Mayors down the road. Best fried fish we had in 3 weeks in Ireland and Scotland. Two years as a fishery biologist on a trawler makes one quite an expert!
Mike P

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Mike,

Hope you got home safely and thank you for your kind comments. The criteria you expect are all the things that we strive to achieve on a consistent basis. I'm delighted that we have once again ticked all the boxes. I have passed your compliments to our friendly team, who work hard to look after our guests and who are always pleased to hear that it hasn't gone unnoticed.
Hopefully we will see you back again on your next trip to Ireland .

Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Check in was easy and quick. We were also offered breakfast at a pre-paid price which we accepted.

We made our way to our room 316 however on the way we could smell cigarette smoke - which for a non smoking hotel I was unhappy about. ON entering our we found we had plenty of room and an extra bed - we had only booked a double room. The room was OK although there was quite a few burnt patches on the carpet and a few cosmetic problems in the bathroom e a tile had come off and a chip on the bath and a broken know to operate the temperature for shower/bath. These could be fixed quickly cheaply and easily. Overall it was ok and we got a good sleep - which we were surprised about considering last years visit it was over run with teenagers who were running riot. I know you pay for what you get!!!!

One comment though please keep heater on in the room before people arrive. When we enetered we were so cold we had to put our coats on. Also plastic covering must be used on the beds which made me feel clammy during the night

I know the restaurant is nothing to do with the hotel but we ate there on the Friday night and Saturday morning. ON the Friday we ordered the combination as we liked it last year. However it seems they are cutting corners and giving cheaper alternatives. We had literally entered the restaurant and sat down when the staff came to take our order - we had bearly looked at the menu.We made a quick choice but we would have liked a little longer to look over the menu. We received our starter and hadn't finished when another member of staff came with our mains and wanted to take our starter away even though we hadn't finished. Come on let people enjoy their food and to be truthful there was not that many people there. Regarding alcohol all they served was beer or wine. I had to take wine however I am not a wine drinker I did accept it but I feel they should offer alcopops or vodka. Breakfast was ok. All pre prepared and the tea could have done with being a lot warmer.

Room Tip: We stayed in 316 - we were able to keep an eye on our vechicle.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Drunmtara,

Thanks for taking the time to post more feedback on your recent stay with us and we were delighted to welcome you back.
We are indeed a fully non smoking hotel. We do try to prevent and deter this as much possible but unfortunately on occasions some guests disregard our policy and smoke in their rooms. We charge guests who breach this policy for the extra deep cleaning which is required in the rooms afterwards.
We are constantly reviewing both our bar cafe menus and we most definitely take on board your preference for other drinks in our next review. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back with us very soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Nothing fancy, folks. You need a cheap room nearby the airport? They've got it. Need Wifi? 5E for 24 hours access. Need a ride to the airport? Their coach runs every half hour, beginning at 4:07am for 5E. The man at the front desk was very kind to me when I arrived and helped me carry my bags to my room, and aside from it being far and away from the 4-star place I just spent the last week at, I'm fine with it. Easy to get here from the Dublin airport on the 41 bus to Swords for 1.35E, too.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs - the sounds of traffic will lull you to sleep otherwise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Elizabeth,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor about Travelodge Dublin Airport North.
I'm glad that you found we are able to provide everything the price conscious traveller needs near Dublin Airport, including our Shuttle Bus. I will pass your kind comments about our reception team on to them and they will as always be delighted to hear it. On your next visit please let us know and we can allocate you one of our many rooms at the back of the hotel if necessary.

David Ryan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Dublin Airport Manor
Dublin Airport Manor
#4 of 7 in Swords
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords? Share your experiences!