“Bad experience in this very inferior Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords

Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Swords
Cork Ireland
“Bad experience in this very inferior Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our flight was delayed on Tues night 10th June, so we missed our bus to Cork at 12.30 am. The Travel Lodge, Swords seemed to be the only hotel in the area with vacancies - is there a reason for this I wonder? Not knowing the history of this hotel, we booked in at 1 am - if we had known better it would have been preferable to wait at the Airport for 6.30 am bus.

First impressions were not good - unfriendly man on reception, smell of smoke on corridor to our room. As already stated on previous reviews the room just didn't feel clean. My husband went to wash his hands in the bathroom - no towels. Went to reception and was given towels. No spoon to stir his coffee, back to reception - got one only spoon. Back again to plug in his sleep apnea machine - no socket near the bed - just one near the dressing table. Back to reception requesting extension lead - our unfriendly Receptionist said they didn't supply them, he just said ''MOVE THE BED''. Any other time of day and having had to pay E79 in advance, we would be gone out the door, but at 1.15 am we had little choice but to move the single bed up to the dressing table. On taking off the mattress we discovered the base of the bed was seriously badly stained, and under the bed was dirty and as picture shows cotton buds and dirt on the carpet. The only clean thing about the room was the bed linen, which felt good - I just wondered how clean the mattress was. The room was shabby, but the big problem for me was the cleanliness - this shouldn't be such a big problem to solve. It just seems they don't care - having read reviews from the past few months, its the same story - complaints mainly about the dirt.

We complained to David on Reception next morning - he was polite, apologised, and said he would report it to his Manager, who would telephone us - this didn't happen. Management is very poor in this hotel - its not rocket science to make sure every room is clean. David did say they had changed their cleaning contractors the previous day, so perhaps it may get better. We are used to staying in hotels where the management and staff strive to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

Avoid if possible - stay at your peril otherwise

2 Thank CatherineCorkIreland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
County Londonderry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have been to this hotel over many years and feel it just gets more and more rundown and in need of a proper renovation not just a few new carpets.
The staff are fine they can only work with the quality of place they find themselves working in but like us they must feel cracked mirrors and remote controls that have never worked in our experience, just need new batteries but even that seems too much to ask.
We do stay in Travelodges around Dudlin at least six times a year and try to avoid Swords as the rest seem to be more modern not stuck in the past like this one.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The place was clean and had facilities that worked just fine, but we were frustrated by a couple of things. The staff could have been friendlier, and we had to pay for each person in our room to have their individual access code. They charged 5 euros per person, where other hotels are offering this service for free. We expected a little more from this place since we had been staying primarily in hostels. It was a hostel experience for a hotel price.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Do not go here. I found a used condom on bedroom floor on my arrival (don't bring kids), the bedsheet had 2 large brown stains on it of dubious origin and the bathroom floor didn't look like it was washed this century..... I complained - in fact wrote a written complaint on the adviced of the manager (not sure I'd call him that at this point) where I left my phone number. It is now a day and half later.Travelodge's attentive management haven't seen fit to ring me yet. After the complaint, I wasn't looking for anything. However, I certainly expected a call as a minimum.... It's response to this complaint - exactly nothing - speaks volumes about its customer care... The exception was the breakfast. Food was good and staff were very attentive. It may be run under a different franchise - surely it couldn't be same people run the hotel?.. My advice - don't ever go here - absolutely vile.

Room Tip: Choose a good room by going to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank manushamrock

Travellers are raving about these Swords hotels

Kerry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've submitted several reviews to Tripadvisor at this stage & I try to be fair & balanced in all of them. This is the most critical review I have submitted & I am disappointed that it is a hotel in my own native country.
I normally stay in Bewleys Hotel Dublin airport if I am flying from Dublin. It is a great hotel, great standards, rooms & food with free shuttle bus to the airport & discounted hotel parking for your stay. Unfortunately,due to the June bank holiday weekend & a wedding at the hotel, I found it was booked out for the night we needed to stay before flying out to France. In fact, most Dublin hotels were booked out that night which led me to book the only airport hotel available, Travelodge Swords, a hotel in which I had not previously stayed.

There are so many negatives. It is near a noisy roundabout, the area feels unsafe, so much that we drove our car to Bewleys & parked it there for the week we were away rather than leave it at this hotel. The guests were noisy & rowdy.
The room was basic. To be specific, there are no toiletries save for one single bar of soap. No shampoo, liquid soap, nada. There also is no hairdryer.
We did not sleep a wink. The noise from the road was incessant, punctuated by noisy guests & staff rapping on other doors to say they had received complaints about rowdy behavior. It felt dangerous& we willed the morning to come. I didn't bring my own shampoo so I was forced to wash my hair with soap in the morning& let it air dry as there was no hairdryer, not to mind feeling exhausted from the lack of sleep. What a way to start a holiday.

The one positive I will say is the attached diner served a very nice breakfast. It was a buffet all you can eat style that was well-stocked & freshly cooked in a modern building.
The shuttle bus was not free, there was a charge of 5 euro each but like I said, we drove our car to Bewleys & left it there instead.

This is probably the worst hotel stay I ever had in my travels to date. I wasn't asked how my stay was & I was too fatigued to mount the above catalogue of calamities. The final negative was that this hotel normally charges a rate of around 60 euro for a room. Due to the high demand of the weekend, we had to pay 120 euro for the experience I just outlined. Incredibly bad value.
This is not a true reflection of the vast majority of Irish hotels so please save yourself the bad experience & stay elsewhere.

4 Thank Irishbrightsmile
Kilkee, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before our trip to holland & it was perfect. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Rooms were clean & for just a bit of relaxation & kip before our flight it was all we needed. Also, food was very good in the ace attached to it & staff there were also very friendly. If you're traveling & want to be near the airport this travelodge for both location & price is amazing. Highly recommend!..

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Críostóir O
Aosta, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Night staff rude and unhelpful. Not for families. I wrote a note when I booked and phoned on the day to ensure a cot\ suitable bedding for my son..... was assured all would be done.... nothing was and when I asked at (nearly 1am) the staff member just gave me a cot with the hard bottom and no bedding, I asked to be told they don't supply it. Bathroom also not clean and musty smell in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Eleanor L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport Manor
Dublin Airport Manor
#4 of 7 in Swords
Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport
Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords? Share your experiences!