“Potential to be nice, but isn't.”

Roganstown Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Swords
County Laois, Ireland
“Potential to be nice, but isn't.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel last night and I have to get my experience across to anybody thinking of booking this hotel asap. Although RH&CC is in a good location (near airport but still rural), it is not as described.
The entrance is cold and unwelcoming. Don't be fooled by the sash windows and low lighting, it is grubby and in need of a good carpet wash. Very rough around the edges if you pay any attention at all. Check in was standard but severely lacking in information and had to ask what time food was served to, was the pool still open, what time was breakfast served from as I was not volunteered this information.

The bedroom on first glance is again standard, white, clean linen and spacious with a clean bathroom, again with clean, white towels. The view from our room on the first floor was of the golf course and this was very pretty, especially on a sunny day. However, when I spent a few minutes in the room I began to notice scuff marks on many walls and even parts where paint had chipped off. This is a small thing really as the room itself was clean but the tv did not have the list of channels that the list beside it claimed it did.

The bar was our next port of call for some food and drinks. Firstly, my wine glass was dirty, from both watermarks and somebody else's lip-prints. Then the food...I order a €15 steak dinner which was absolutely dreadful. Though the cut of meat was mostly fatless, it was not cooked medium as I had ordered and was in fact luke warm at most. The thick cut chips were fine but the pepper sauce was basically lumpy gravy with pepper flavour and the onions piled on top of the steak were cooked within an inch of their lives and soggy. Worst of all was the side salad in which I discovered, by chewing on it, a small stone with dirt still on it. Okay, you could say, at least the salad was fresh, but it couldn't have been washed very well. My partners calamari were also cold and limp, processed and from frozen in appearance. He said that they were cooked okay but weren't even luke warm. Yes we still ate it as we were starving and didn't want to cause a fuss on our anniversary.
The breakfast was even worse. We arrived at 7.10am. Breakfast starts at 7am and we figured that we would be early (for once). The dining room had already seated at least 30 other people and we were pointed to an empty table by the solo waitress working that morning. To put things in perspective, this dining hall could seat at least 100 and had one staff member on the floor. 10 minutes after breakfast supposedly starts the bread was gone, the orange and apple juice was gone and the eggs were gone (temporarily). You could tell that they had been there by the crumbs and empty jugs. Just as we walked to the self-service hot breakfast buffet the one waitress arrived with plates to help yourself with your breakfast. The plates were cold and not put into a heater. The beans, bacon and tomatoes were also cold. The sausages were hot. The eggs arrived via the waitress when we had already eaten what was on our plates. No toast, tea/coffee was offered to us and was not available for self-service. We left after waiting another 10 minutes to order our toast/tea. The waitress was serving the other patrons and was very busy doing this but it was too many people for one staff member to cope with alone. A customer beside us asked if omelettes were available as the brochure in the room had said and she replied that she would check. We weren't around to see the answer. I should add that ham, cheese, yogurt, fruit and cereals were available to help yourself too but we had wanted hot breakfasts, and there was no bread to go with the ham/cheese anyway.
At check-out, we were not asked how our stay had been. I cannot comment on the pool/golf facilities as we did not get a chance to try them. I think that maybe people are willing to forgive elements of this hotel as the golf course looks very good and may be the main saving grace for this place. Do not stay here if you want to eat good food!
We were staying there as we were considering it as a wedding venue, but are certainly not considering it any longer.

Room Tip: Order a room with a view of the golf course if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Faith Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and a group of 18 stayed in the hotel for the weekend.
We were booked all over the hotel.
Our meeting room for the weekend was a bit cramped for 18 people.
The room was very comfortable and bathroom facilities adequate.
The food for dinner on both Saturday and Sunday was beautiful but the breakfast was a disappointment. The hot cooked breakfast was warm at best. There was only fried eggs and when some of us requested scrambled or poached eggs it took 15-20 mins for them to be served.
The only other problem we encountered was with the wifi - very poor connection and it often cut out.
The staff for the most part were helpful & friendly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dublin,Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I have recently stayed here, I really liked to location and the grounds are well kept, it is only 10mins from the airport.
I used the pool which was a added bonus to have during a conference I was attending.

Some rooms were given robes and slippers but not all, it didn't seem to matter the type of room you were in it seemed to be more by chance if you ended up with them.

I do feel though that breakfast could be improved, on the first morning the hot breakfast items were not kept stocked up, there were a number of people in my group that never got eggs, or beans, even though they had pointed out to the waitress that there was none left. It also wasn't terribly busy so I'm not sure what the delay was.

I ate in the restaurant twice and the food was nice, the service on the second day was a bit slow though.

The rooms could do with being soundproofed in some way, I could here the person next door speaking on the phone.

Overall its a nice hotel,the bar and leisure centres are good places to chill out, but if it improved the soundproofing, and breakfast service it would be really good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Busselton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Was a great place, went to a friends wedding, beautiful set up, we stayed two nights, room lovely, staff friendly, place is stunning! Would stay again. Also very close to airport but you don't notice the planes.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the pleasure of an overnight stay with dinner and Spa treatments at Roganstown Hotel & Country club. Dinner was delicious (I had the vegetarian option) I was with a group of colleagues and everyone enjoyed their meal. The hotel boasts a decent length swimming pool with sauna, steam and jacuzzi and jet hoses. The rooms are a decent size with separate shower and bath (a particular preference of mine). The spa treatments were professionally done and the whole experience was a true delight. I would recommend this hotel for a real get away from it all stay as everything you need is on site.

Room Tip: Although the location is not too far from the airport there are no public transport links apart from...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'm it motivated to add my "2 cents" after reading the hotel response to Randy S's review. I was part of the family and experienced absolutely everything he stated first hand. Let me reconfirm its veracity:
1) Despite "best efforts" of Des, the man on duty, it took 20 minutes to print 1 boarding pass, and after 20 minutes did not succeed in printing the 2nd... only by emailing to the personal email account of "Des" the man on duty. There was a coin charge on printer (which timed out several times).
2) We told the desk we were leaving before breakfast was serve and they did not offer an early continental breakfast.
3) There is no shuttle service to the airport before 7 am.
4) Country roads to the airport.
5) Slow internet.

My assessment- this is a country club / golf hotel and not up to the orientation of "near the airport, leaving early the next morning" standard.

And I stand by this, despite the response of the management to Randy S comments.

On the other hand, Des was most anxious to please and mitigate any difficulties.

kind regards
Andy RC.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

It is not a perfect hotel but it has lots of character.

I stay here every time I go to the airport. It is a treat. It is a little holiday to begin a business trip or holiday.

The accommodation price is more than fair.

They do a good deal for holiday parking.

I like their bar food.

I like the hot tub. Pool is good.

I like to walk nearby.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swords
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Carnegie Court Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
#5 of 7 in Swords

Been to Roganstown Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!